Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Republique Les Halles/Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-republique-les-halles-paris-124557/)

Nel May 17th, 2001 09:14 AM

Hotel Republique Les Halles/Paris

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Republique Les Halles in Paris? Can you tell me about the area and the hotel? This is our first trip to Europe and we are also planning to spend a day in London traveling by Eurorail. We are also Planning to spend a day touring the French Riveira, this tour is a 3 hour plane ride and we will have a car pick us up and drive us to Nice, Monaco, Monte Carlo the cost is $349 per person, has anyone done this tour? Or does anyone know a cheaper way to do this? Our dates are 6/11-6/17 <BR>Thanks

Christina May 18th, 2001 03:04 PM

I had never heard of it before but looked it up and it's in an unusual area, one tourists rarely stay in--it's actually near a metro stop that I had never heard of (Jacques Bonsergent) and I thought I was familiar with the names, at least. It's not near Les Halles at all but is a few blocks north of the Republique metro in the 10th arrondisement going towards Gare du Nord. That's a "working class" quartier as they say, diverse, dicey in spots, urban grit. That hotel is near rue du Chateau d'Eau and there is a good jazz club on that street (New Morning); there is also a good, very attractive, famous brasserie (Brasserie Flo) not far away on cours des Petites Ecuries--you should make a reservation there, it's very popular. The prices I saw were a little high for a 3-star hotel in that location (around 750F), it seemed to me; maybe you got a much better deal. I would not want to stay there myself unless you are only there one night and want to be near the train station or something, there are so many other nicer parts of Paris. I am not at all familiar with that tour of Nice. However, given you are going June 11th, I think you probably could not get another hotel now, that is a popular time and it's very late. The hotel is probably okay, I don't mean to say it's awful, just be aware that isn't a very "nice" part of Paris and be "en garde", as they say in France(ha, ha, I used to fence in college); well, prenez garde.

Cathy May 19th, 2001 03:52 AM

I'm leaving for Paris on the 21st & staying at the Holiday Inn Republique, on Place de Republique, which I think is in the 11th. This should be at least a 4 star, as we are on a conference. I don't know if it is the same place? I agree it is a bit out of the way but not as bad as being in Montparnasse like last time! <BR> <BR>Cathy

Betsy May 19th, 2001 08:57 AM

I would not recommend the Les Halles area as a place to stay. Its fine during the day, but, particularly for women is not a great place at night. There are safe, inexpensive hotels in Paris in much better areas. If youw ant more info, feel free to e-mail.

Christina May 19th, 2001 03:29 PM

Cathy, that Holiday Inn Republique is not the same hotel at all as the one Nel is asking about; the Holiday Inn really is right at place Republique and is a 4-star very nice hotel (and a historic landmark, I believe I've read). Interesting comment on Montparnasse as that's where I usually stay and I don't consider it far out at all or farther out than place Republique. Of course, people have widely differing interpretations of where Montparnasse is, also (especially hotel descriptions), I don't think of it as going beyond the Montparnasse cemetery, but some people call all of the 14th arr. Montparnasse. I guess it depends where you are going as Republique and Montparnasse are probably close to the same distance from the Seine, but I think Montparnasse is actually closer; if you mainly are doing things on Right Bank, of course, Republique would be more convenient.