Hotel report-Venice, Rome, Umbria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back from a June trip to Italy and want to thank you all for your help. Here was my experience with accommodation in Venice, Urbino, Umbria, and Rome.

Venice:
Casa Rezzonico-totally pleasant and clean and quiet and charming, great cornetti for breakfast, and a helpful staff. As of June, they were doing MAJOR construction on the canal out front; it was dredged and full of trash and stinky. If this is something that bothers you (as it did my boyf), go for a garden room. The location, however, was peaceful and untouristy. This is the thing about Venice; if you stray even one "block" off the main tourist route, the streets are empty. Anohter place I'd recommend there is Ca' San Trovaso.

Urbino:
We stayed at Albergo Italia in their top floor room for 114E/night. We had a great view and the room was immaculately clean and sparkly, with two sinks and nice lighting. (Ignore the anti-Berlusconi/anti-Bush graffiti on the outside wall.)

Umbria:
Castello di Petroia: GO THERE NOW. Unbelievable, intimate castle up in the hills south of Gubbio. The price is great (118E/night) including breakfast and a 4 course dinner (ours began with fried sage leaves plucked right from their garden). The property overlooks a gorgeous valley dotted with white cattle. This is the castle where the Duke Federico da Montefeltro was born; it's still run by the resident count, Carlo Sagini. Rustic and charming, can't say enough.

Antica Fattoria del Colle: Lovely agriturismo near Deruta (70E/night per person, half board). You go here for the food, as the rooms are pleasant but nothing special. The hosts plied us with food and homemade cherry wine--you can't possibly eat it all. Great base for exploring the region.

Fattoria Titignano: Enough people have praised this place that I don't need to say more except, yes, it's all true. Titignano is strikingly beautiful and the hikes are gorgeous. Their wine and olive oil (available for purchase) are top rate. Try to get a room in the castle-ours overlooked a lake that, in the morning, was covered in clouds.

Rome:
Here, we rented an apartment through sleepinitaly.com for 110E/night. It was at Vicolo del Bologna #25 in Trastevere. The 4 floor walk-up isn't that bad and the place itself is sweet. Superb location.

Questions about anything? I'm more than happy to answer.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Could you pls tell us what the room rate for Casa Rezzonico was in June? I'm trying to book a reasonably priced triple room for Oct30-Nov2. I'd love some advice
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

The rate at Casa Rezzonico was 140 Euros a night in high season. Not sure what it would be in October or if they have triples.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:42 PM

CarlyJ, I'm thinking of spending a few days of our honeymoon in the Umbria region and we were looking at the Titignano and Castello di Petroia. How many nights did you stay at the Castello and how many at the Titignano? Did you find it was difficult to use either place as a base to explore the area from because of the remoteness of the hotels? Would you have any other suggestions about the region we should consider?
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi Drinwood,
Both Titignano and Petroia are honeymoon perfect; I'm not even married and felt like I was on one myself. Castello di Petroia is in a much more convenient location for day trips--you're only 14 km from Gubbio and, though it feels remote, you can get in and out of the castle easily. To get to Titignano from the main road, it's a good 30 minutes of winding, curvy roads-certainly beautiful, but it could be annoying if you just want to stop back at your room for a rest before going out again. Both places have great, copious amounts of food and wonderful rooms. Other differences: Petroia is more intimate; there are only 9 rooms and a teeny staff (including the resident count with whom you eat). Titignano has about 30 rooms, a large dining hall, and a bigger staff that's mostly absent, making your time there more anonymous (and more private). Titignano also has more to do on site with miles of hikes. I loved both places and highly recommend them...but if you're looking for day trip convenience, I'd go with Petroia (and ask for the suite--it's incredible).
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 10:12 AM

CarlyJ ,
I'm glad you liked your apartment in Rome. My fiance and I will be staying in that same one in six weeks for our honeymoon . Did you feel you could walk to most places ? We rented through sleepinitaly.com as well. Anything else you can tell me would be great .
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Athyng-
The Vicolo del Bologna apt was in a great location...just over the river from Campo dei Fiori and it's a mere 10-15 minute walk to the Pantheon, a 25 minute walk to the Vatican. Plus Trastevere itself has a lot going on...tons of good restaurants and bars and places to people watch. The reports of it being like NYC's West Village are true. During the day it's peaceful and calm, but at night it REALLY gets going. When you come back to Trastevere at night, especially on weekends, you will need to fight throngs of revelers to get to your block. But once you're there, it quiets down. And since the apt. itself is on the 4th floor, you don't hear much from the street. The apartment is very small but cozy. The shower is great. The kitchen is nothing to speak of. It was perfect for what we wanted. Enjoy!
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Hi Carly,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. I'm planning an Umbria/Tuscany trip for next May and loved your description of Castello de Petroia. Do you have a webs site or fax info for this?
Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Carly J, We're staying near Panicale in Oct and trying to find some good restaurants, wineries, and places to visit. Do you have any suggestions?
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Here's the info for Castello di Petroia:

Castello di Petroia
06020 Scritto di Gubio (PG)
tel: +39 075 920297 or +39 075 920109
fx +39 075 920108
e: [email protected]

Their web site is www.castellodipetroia.com (creative, I know). I think they were also written up in one of those special-places-to-stay books (I forget which one--I just sift through them at the bookstore).

Only thing to keep in mind is this year they opened the castle early June...not sure if they'll be open in May next year. You should double check..