Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Relais Bosquet, Paris -- Opinions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-relais-bosquet-paris-opinions-229873/)

Michelle Jun 10th, 2002 01:52 PM

Hotel Relais Bosquet, Paris -- Opinions?

My family and I will be staying at this hotel next month and I wanted to know if any of you have stayed at this hotel and your opinions. It certainly looks very nice on their website and the price was right.

Grasshopper Jun 10th, 2002 01:56 PM

Michelle, I liked it. The location is good - near the Eiffle Tower, a short walk to the Seine, in a nice neighborhood and not too far from a metro. The price is indeed right. The bathroom was very good. And from my bed I could see the top of the Eiffle Tower.

Lori Jun 10th, 2002 02:04 PM

We stayed there last year, it was one of the better places we've stayed in many trips to Paris. If you do a search you'll probably come up with my review. If you don't :-) well ..<BR>We had a superior room (not huge, but OK) with nice bathroom and separate WC. Decent sized closet w/iron & ironing board & full lenght mirror. The staff was very nice and breakfast was pleasant (we tend to eat at the hotel and not run out looking for a.m. food) - rolls, croissants, strawberries, orange juice and good coffee (also tea). The breakfast room is split into 2 areas, nonsmoking & smoking. Thankfully we never encountered anyone smoking. Our room had a view of the Eiffel Tower. One of the best features we've encountered anywhere was the electric blinds that you could close over the windows (they also had drapes) that really blocked out the light. Our room fronted the street and it was very quiet at night. I cannot tell you about the standard rooms, except what we saw when a maid was cleaning and we walked by..they were smaller then ours (and ours was not huge). Rooms were pleasantly decorated, but nothing too fancy or outstanding. The Ecole Militaire Metro stop is about 2 blocks away. There are an abundance of places to eat on Rue Cler, 1/2 block away. There is bank on the corner at Ecole Militaire with an ATM. You can walk to the Eiffel Tower in about 15 min. We enjoyed the location very much and the hotel suited our needs. For a family I'd suggest getting 2 rooms tho. They have a couple of connecting rooms if I remember correctly.

Michelle Jun 10th, 2002 02:04 PM

Grasshopper, Thank you for your message. I've searched around and it seems to garner much praise so I think we've done alright! Thanks, again.

Michelle Jun 10th, 2002 02:06 PM

We've booked two suites. Thank you for your very detailed response, Lori. Very much appreciated.

Lori Jun 10th, 2002 02:45 PM

I hope you enjoy it Michelle! I just remembered that there was a small dish of hard candy in the room and a tray with a coffee maker and China cups and saucers-so much nicer then styrofoam (along with instant coffee and tea bags). Also mini-bar, but we did not bother with that.

Sue Jun 10th, 2002 02:45 PM

Michelle, I loved this hotel--just fancy enough to suit me. I wrote about it in the beginning of my trip report, so you don't have to wade through a lot to get there.<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=2&tid=1371813

Mary Anne Cook Jun 10th, 2002 04:36 PM

My daughter and I have just returned from staying here for 6 nights. Everything said above I completely agree with. The staff is so helpful from making reservations for restaurants, calling a taxi, and general info about Paris. I especially enjoyed making my instant coffee in the morning with a small teapot(one I have never seen in the states) that only takes a minute and the water is exactly the right temperature. Then run down to the bakery on the corner for those wonderful pasteries. Some of the best lasanga I have ever eaten just around the corner. Across the street a very good Asian restaurant. You cannot go wrong with this hotel. We enjoyed walking to the park near the Eiffel tower in the evening. have a wonderful trip to Paris. It was our first and I want to go back and stay in this hotel.

Sue Jun 10th, 2002 04:47 PM

Mary Anne, I'm so glad you enjoyed the hotel as much as I did. Isn't it funny how a little thing like a teapot can make your stay?

Michelle Jun 11th, 2002 10:59 AM

Mary Ann, If you remember, what was the name of the restaurant where you had the great lasagna? Thanks!

BTilke Jun 12th, 2002 02:21 AM

I have a short notice trip coming up to Paris and since my favorite hotels (Hotel du Bois in the 16th and du Cadran) were booked, I followed the Fodorite advice and booked at the Hotel Relais Bosquet. All they had left was one superior room--for a rate of about $130 a night (excluding breakfast). Is that rate similar to what the rest of you have paid for a superior room? I called the hotel directly and they wanted about $160 for the same room (rack rate, I suppose), so booked through one of the many discount services on the Web. Someone else is picking up the tab for me, but even so, I like to get a discount if possible. I'm very familiar with the neighborhood, having stayed across the street at the du Cadran several times. It will be interesting to see how these two neighboring hotels compare.

Sue Jun 12th, 2002 07:14 AM

BTilke, I paid $130 (E145) for a superior single (rack rate) (actually a superior double for one person), but the $ isn't so strong now. Their rates run from E122 to E160; perhaps the desk person thought you wanted a double (for two people). What discount site did you use? I'm interested!

Sue Jun 12th, 2002 07:17 AM

PS Do post your comparison! I'd seen your good reviews for the Cadran, but I think the RB was a little cheaper (and it wasn't winter, so the fireplace didn't matter).

BTilke Jun 12th, 2002 08:39 AM

Hi Sue, thanks for the info. No, I said it was for one person. But it's been my experience that you always get quoted a higher rate over the phone, both in Europe and the U.S. If the hotel can sell a room for the full rate, why not? I don't blame them for that. But for $160 a night, I politely said no thanks, and then went hunting online. In this case, I went through Pariserve.<BR>It will a fun/business trip. I've been assigned to write an article about the research labs at the Louvre for a medical magazine (the woman who runs the labs is a radiologist), so I'm getting a behind the scenes tour (I did a story about the facilities for another magazine years ago; the lab actually serves many French museums, but the Louvre is their biggest customer).<BR><BR>