Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Relais Bosquet in Paris: Standard or Superior Room?

Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I are planning a trip to Paris and we are so excited! We plan to stay at the Hotel Relais Bosquet but are trying to decide between the Standard and Superior rooms there (a 15 Euro difference.) I am hoping enthusiasts of this hotel will be able to give us their opinion. Merci!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:24 AM

My daughter and I stayed at ethe Hotel Relais Bosquet in the summer of 2007 and had a wonderful stay there. I can't recall if the room we stayed in was a superior, but it was on one of the higher floors so we had a view of the Eiffel Tower. The location is super....close to Rue Cler(lots of restaurants, flower shops, bakeries, markets), walking distance to the river, close to the Metro and walking distance to the Eiffel Tower. The staff was extremely helpful and made our stay there enjoyable and comfortable. The only thing I remember that I did not care for was that the wc was in an actual closet in the room.......odd!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM

I guess it depends how much that 15 euro difference means to you. I don't know their rooms, but for two people in a room, I don't think I've ever known a hotel where a superior room wouldn't be worth 15 euro more (to me).
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. nwheel, I'm glad to know you had such a great time at the hotel. The location sounds wonderful to me, too.

Christina, you are right. I should have mentioned we'll be staying 5 nights so the 15 Euros will add up a bit but I think it may be worth it. The rooms on the website looked so similar (usually there is a striking difference) that I thought I'd just check to see if someone here knew if there was really much difference. In my younger years I was very careful with every penny but sometimes you get what you pay for!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM

I've stayed in a superior twin room at the Bosquet. The difference is in the overall size of the room and the bathroom. There is a sort of entry hallway that has a closet and then the door to the bathroom. Then the room itself is fairly large for Paris standards. The bathroom will have a tub and shower instead of just a shower.And it is easier for two of you to get ready at the same time. Is it worth it? For us it was because we were friends traveling and it just felt less.....closed up? If you know what I mean. Is it worth an additional 75 Euro? Perhaps. I think it depends on how well you travel together. The regular rooms are smaller but at this hotel those rooms aren't closet size or anything.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM

I'm also considering the Relais Bosquet for a 2-week Paris trip in October. I'll be solo, so size isn't all that important for me - but even the standard is a little steep, as I'm trying to get by for less. I haven't spent much time in Paris in 8 years - and prices really seem to have gone up in that time! I go to France every year - but to other parts. Guess I'm spoiled, as there are such lovely hotels elsewhere so much less expensive. But then there is the car rental, which makes up for that!

Anyway, the Relais Bosquet looks quite nice - and the 7th gets good reviews on here - I've usually stayed in the 6th, or Montparnasse. When are you going?
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sue4,

I'm going at the end of August so will already be back home by the time you get there. I did decide to opt for the Superior just to have a bit more room to spread out since there are two of us. I did learn that breakfast is free if you have the Rick Steves book and book by email. Granted, breakfast does not ususally cost oo much but I thought you might feel a bit better about the cost of the room if you can get breakfast included. I believe there are several other hotels in the area that might be a bit cheaper and that also sound pretty good.

Thanks to all who posted here with your ideas!
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM

KTtravel- This is lengthy and I truly hope doesn’t dampen your enthusiasm for your Paris trip, but I thought I’d chime in with my account of a not so glowing review of the Relais Bosquet.

We stayed at the Bosquet for 5 nights in June 2007 with another family. We had 4 rooms on the 2nd flr. 2-Superior dbls (180E), 1 std dbl-(160 E) & 1 triple (205). We chose the hotel for location and reasonable price. We absolutely LOVED the location, the rue Cler neighborhood is wonderful; however, we DID NOT like the hotel and wouldn’t stay there again. As a matter of fact, my husband and I were in Paris just 3 weeks ago, again staying in the 7th, this time at the Hotel Le Walt, which we liked much better and was located ~1 blk from the Bosquet. We had a superior dbl for 199E. Our street facing room was a bit noisy, but with the windows closed and AC that worked perfectly, noise wasn’t a problem. The quietest rooms face the courtyard, but then there is no view. After staying at the Le Walt we realized how overpriced the Bosquet was for the quality of the hotel.

The list of problems we encountered was lengthy, but to name just a few: the rooms are dinghy and decor tired & out dated, the toilet was in a closet in the room, the beds were worn out & hard and the pillows flat as a pancake, but worst of all, the AC didn't work on our floor for 4 of the 5 nights we were there (They did offer us a 10 E per night discount on the final bill). 2 of the 4 rooms we had faced the street. When you left the windows open for a breeze due to lack of AC, the noise was unbearable. Those rooms were like a sweat room with the windows shut. The courtyard facing rooms were a little quieter with the windows open, but I still wore earplugs to get to sleep. On a daily basis we asked about the ‘status’ of the AC repair, but it never worked again after our first night. Some of the staff was friendly & helpful; others were rude and appeared to speak no English. We could speak a little French but they still managed to make us feel like unwanted guests. If it was just my husband and I and not nine people, we would have tried to find another hotel, packed up and left without looking back. The one positive I can add, besides the great location of the hotel, is that the bathrooms, while small, were clean.

This hotel seems to get good reviews, and is featured in Rick Steve’s guide books. We have stayed at other RS rec’d hotels in Europe, that is partly why we chose the Bosquet, but honestly, I don't see how they have repeat customers. Also, my observation was the only guests were American.

Back in June 2006, we stayed at the Millesime Hotel in the 6th, Dbl Superior Rm for 205E. Their staff was some of the most helpful and friendly we have encountered during our travels in Europe. Now that we’ve been to Paris several times, we prefer the 7th over the 6th but the Millesime is a gem. We only wish it was in the 7th.

Also, note, if you’ll be there on a Sunday, the rue Cler neighborhood is pretty closed up. The difference from a weekday to a Sunday is striking.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Suziem, your comments about the Relais Bosquet are very interesting. I had considered staying there when I go to Paris in October for a 2-week trip. I recently changed my mind and have made reservations at an hotel in the 6th where I've stayed several times previously. After reading your post, I'm glad I did! I've never stayed in the 7th, and had thought to give it a try, as so many people swear by the Rue Cler area. Maybe next time I'll look into the Hotel Le Walt.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 07:58 PM

I have stayed at the Relais Bosquet in 1998 (8 nights) and 2007 (7 nights) and have family who have stayed there 3 times over the past decade. Every stay has been excellent. The staff has been more than helpful from reservations, to desk staff and breakfast staff. They have assisted us with bookings, called taxis and been generally helpful and friendly. Especially Frederique who helped us so much on our last stay--I hope she is still there.

We requested superior rooms on a higher floor overlooking the courtyard on both stays. The rooms were spacious, light-filled, the beds comfortable, and the spotless bath included a tub/shower with a glass door. The separate WC was very convenient.

We usually stay in the 7th and tried the Hotel Londres Eiffel and the Muguet between our 2 Relais Bosquest stays to save money. The Londres Eiffel had a bathtub but no shower and the Muguet only a stall shower. Both hotels were fine but could not match the RB. Both have also redecorated and raised prices so I doubt we will stay anywhere else from now on.

I would love to hear from someone who has stayed at the Relais Bosquet this year and compare the experience.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I thought I'd report back as we did, in fact, stay at the Relais Bosquet and would happily return. We had a similar experience to Scootair's -- we were happy with the rooms, the staff was charming and helpful and we enjoyed the neighborhood. I will try and complete a more detailed trip report later but I can definitely recommend the Relais Bosquet if anyone is looking for a three star hotel in Paris.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 03:11 PM

KTtravel - my DH & I are considering Hotel Relais Bosquet for our stay in Paris. Do you know if any of the Superior Rooms have a balcony with a view of the Eiffel Tower? It's not a must, but it would be nice.

We have our choices narrowed down to this hotel or the Dusquesne. My DH is 6'3" so we were thinking the Relais Bosquet might be a slightly better choice.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

halfapair,

Our room did not have a balcony but did have a view of the Eiffel Tower if you poked your head out of the window a bit. You might email the hotel to see if any of the rooms have balconies. Have a wonderful time in Paris!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM

KTtravel--I am so glad you enjoyed the Relais Bosquet. I would love to hear more about your trip.

halfapair--The Relais Bosquet does not have balconies but if you are on the 5th floor you should have an ET view from a fairly large window. Be careful not to get on the top floor since your DH is tall. The sloped ceilings might not be a good match. My DH and I visited my sister's top floor room on one trip and he had to duck.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Chris66--Glad to know you had a good stay too. I am itching to return one day and can't imagine DH will consider any other hotel. Don't forget a left turn from the front door brings you to an excellent bakery and there is a lovely cheese shop across the street and towards the rue Cler. Sigh.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM

We have stayed at Relais Bosquet and loved it!
We had the top floor superior room overlooking the Eiffel tower and enjoyed Rue Cler market and of course, Le Florimond.
It was a great location and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
The Marche and the cheese shop are superior.
Great price and location..didn't know it was a Rick Steves fave.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Thanks for all the good comments. I've reserved a room for 10 nights at the Bosquet and Hotel D'Orsay near the Musee D'Orsay--which has no bad reviews on Trip Advisor. The rooms and bathrooms are large according to many reviewers--and service good. I understand there's ongoing renovation at the Bosquet and would like to know if anyone experienced problems. Or if anyone has stayed at the D'Orsay...both are three star and same price.
Does anyone have info about this? Thanks
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Hi Normor,

Are you splitting your trip between both hotels or trying to decide and cancel one? If dividing your trip between both will you post after your trip and tell us how the hotels compare?
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 04:41 AM

Scoot

We're staying all 10 days in one spot. It seems that other than rue Cler and restaurants, as well the Eiffel Tower, you are farther away from many other museums and the Right Bank (at the relais bosquet). How many times can you see the Eiffel? The D'Orsay seems a more logical choice for greater access to St. Germain and Marais. Thanks for your suggestion.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:06 AM
tod

I am so grateful to Scootoir mentioning the low ceilings on the 5th floor as my DH is very tall - I have emailed them requesting that they do not give us any of those rooms if possible and stating the reason.
Thanks so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -