Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendations for young couple in London

Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daughter and son-in-law are looking for a hotel in London for May 12-17. So far they've booked the County Hall Premier Inn for around $270/night, including breakfast. We stayed there back in 2001 and remember it as a great location for walking to things, but I don't recall a lot of restaurant options in the area. They're also looking at the St. Pancras Premier Inn which is around $250/night with breakfast.

Any other good options in about the same price range (under 175 pounds)?
Old Jan 2nd, 2015, 05:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Things have changed a lot in the last 13 years. There are lost of places to eat w/i a reasonable walk from County Hall.

I'd rather stay near the river/Eye/Westminster Abbey/Big Ben than Near St Pancras . . . UNLESS they are taking the Eurostar train. Then the St Pancras area would be great.

But for nearby sites and such -- I'd keep the County Hall booking.
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 08:08 AM

The area around St Pancras has changed a great deal in the last 18 months - new office blocks have opened and a lot of new places to eat and drink as well. But as janise says, it is a little bit further away from the action apart from the British Library, the British Museum, etc. $270 a night for the Premier Inn at County Hall strikes me as being pricey for the chain - apart from St. Pancras the one in Covent Garden is also certainly cheaper, is also very central and in an interesting area with plenty of places to eat and drink, and about a 15 minute walk to get south of the Thames, maybe a 20 minute walk to Westminster Abbey/Big Ben.
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 09:03 AM

With that budget, I'd book a 4-star on Priceline and save some money. You should be able to get something in the Bloomsbury or Mayfair zones for under $175 or so per night, I'd think.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 10:04 AM

I've stayed at the Millenium Glouster Hotel a couple of times. It's a handy hotel because it's an easy trip to Heathrow on the tube. It's a nice area close to the V&A and Natural History museums. With the may dates, a room is 150 pounds.

It would be a lot nicer than the Premiere Inn.
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Millenium Gloucester