Hotel recommendations for Salzburg

Apr 22nd, 2000, 05:43 PM
Marilyn

Hotel recommendations for Salzburg

Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in Salzburg? I'd like to stay around $150 US for a double room with private bath and WC.

Apr 23rd, 2000, 04:34 PM
Al Godon

Surely there is an answer to this question!!!

Apr 23rd, 2000, 04:44 PM
Peg

We stayed at Hotel Wolf in Old Town last summer. Nice, old hotel with lovely rooms under $100 US. Only problem was parking car a few blocks away. Most streets in Old Town are pedestrian only.

Apr 23rd, 2000, 08:28 PM
Bob

Another idea: Stay in Berchtesgaden and drive into Salzburg. About 45 minutes. The Watzmann in Berchtesgaden is a nice place to stay within your price range. Plus, Berchtesgaden has a lot to see and do.

Apr 23rd, 2000, 10:32 PM
lynn

Hotel Elefant, in the heart of Old Town. Lovely accomodations, very friendly staff. It is a local place, but part of the Best Western International franchise, so you can do a search on the Best Western site and find out more if you're interested.

Apr 24th, 2000, 04:39 AM
the turnip

Try Rick Steves book "The best of German, Austria and Switzerland". We almost never stay at hotels prefering the charm of family run B&B's. He lists several B&B's just outside of town that are great for parking the car and taking a bus into town.

We stayed at Haus Ballwein and absolutely loved it! Drop me an e-mail if you want the details.

Apr 24th, 2000, 02:50 PM
Christina

I second the recommendation for the Elefant. I stayed there a couple years ago and it was wonderful, one of the nicest three star hotels I've ever stayed in and modestly priced (a little less than $150 I think, actually). Extremely convenient, right in center of Old Town, nice staff and a good restaurant on ground floor in case weather is bad or something. Great bathrooms.

Apr 24th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Diane Moll

We have stayed twice at the "Zur Goldenenen Ente" in the old part of Salzburg and have enjoyed it very much. The price is about $90 per night and is a Rick Steves' recommendation. It is in a 600 year old building and has a wonderful restaurant on the first floor - you must try the Salzburg Nockeral, a wonderful dessert. The rooms are comfortable with private bath and the location is perfect. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride from the train station.