Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotel recommendations for Prague & Vienna

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be travelling to Prague and Vienna in mid November. We'd appreciate any hotel recommendations in these two cities. We would like to stay in the city center, and are considering price in the range of $200 USD. Thank you.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Are there particular features that are "must haves" in your book?

I'm cheating and posting something I wrote on a different thread. I hope it gives you a starting point. I found it using www.venere.com

I thought I'd offer a suggestion of our hotel choice in Vienna. We were very pleased here and they had a few perks that we didn't find in other hotels. They offer free internet in the lobby and even had bicycles available for the asking. The breakfast buffet was plentiful. We would stay here again.
http://www.hotelaustria-wien.at/
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:04 PM

We were in Prague two years ago at the beginning of December. We booked through Priceline and stayed "very" reasonably in downtown Prague within walking distance of everything. The hotel name I don't remember, but it was very quaint and clean.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:30 PM

We were in Prage 3 weeks ago, and stayed at Pension Vetrinik. We absolutely loved it there! It is a gorgeous house, an oasis of calm in Prague. Milos is an excellent host and he and his wife are excellent cooks as well.

It is a short (5-10 min) tram ride from Prague, but the quality of the accomidations, combined with the incredible hospitality of Milos and family made our stay there well worth it.

I believe we paid around $80 a night, includes breakfast.

Here is a link to other reviews of it, feel free to email me if you have any questions!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Bohemia.html
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:35 PM
MaureenB

For what it's worth, here are my notes from our visit to Prague in June 2004.

A personal aside-- I wouldn't choose the business district, or Wenceslas Square (we didn't think that area was especially charming). You will be able to walk all over Prague and it's so much nicer to be in a central location from which you can easily come and go -- like in old town or Mala Strana, near the Charles Bridge. Although it will be crowded with tourists there, too, that's half the fun. If you stay by the castle, it's an uphill climb to your hotel each evening, if that matters.
We stayed in a pension in Prague, called the U Lilie, that I wouldn't highly recommend simply because it's slightly shabby-- but it is clean, with a cold breakfast buffet included, and a bargain for a family 'suite'-- also a wonderful location right near the Bridge. It certainly has 'local flavor.'

One pension people here like is the Dientzenhofer. You might check it out, http://www.dientzenhofer.cz/ I know they have family rooms and were only slightly more expensive than the U Lilie.

I did collect brochures from three unique hotels I wanted to remember in case we returned: The Hotel Neruda, the Hotel U krale Karla, and the Grand Hotel Bohemia.

The Neruda is on the hill going up to Prague Castle. It has a nice cafe on its rooftop, for views of the city below. Its brochure calls it four-star, an historical building reconstructed. Lobby had a nice, contemporary feel, clean and well-done. Rack rate is 220 EUR in high season for a double. It's website is www.hotelneruda.cz

The U krale Karla is in a gothic building, rebuilt in 1639, renovated in 1993. It had more an old Prague feeling to it, old elegance. In Lesser Town, also near the Castle, only 16 double rooms and 3 suites, high season rates for double room deluxe is 6900CZK. Website: www.romantichotels.cz

The Grand Hotel Bohemia is a five-star, in Old Town next to the Powder Tower (also a good location), 78 rooms and suites. It's a classic, old, elegant-looking place that looked charming, too. (No rate sheet in their brochure.) Website: www.grandhotelbohemia.cz

Also, try the Living in Prague website-- http://www.livingprague.com/hotel.htm

For Vienna, we really liked the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth. If you search this forum, you will find lots of happy reviews of it. It's situated very near the Stephansdom, on a relatively quiet side street, with a U-Bahn stop less than one block away. Walk to the Hofburg complex, and we even hoofed it to and from the Belvedere. The KE is a lovely old Vienna-type place, lots of character and charm. Sparkling clean, great hot and cold breakfast buffet included. If you e-mail to them directly, you might get a discount.

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM

For Prague, check on the Certovka, well-situated, gets good reviews at tripadvisor.com

I have files on Prague and Vienna; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:14 PM

We visited Prague at the end of September. (still working on my trip report), but we stayed at U Tri Bubnu. I never saw this hotel mentioned on this board, but we really liked it. The location couldn't be better - it's around the corner from the old city square, 10 min to Charles Bridge, 5 min to Jewish Getto. All rooms are nicely decorated. They have a website with the pictures of the rooms. The downside - no elevator, but they took our luggage to our room, so no big deal. We got a room at the top floor, and it was kind of small, but we peeked at other rooms - they are nice. Breakfast is included - not the best I've had, but not bad either.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM

What is the contact information for Pension Vetrinik?
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Vetrnik
email is [email protected]

see info at tripadvisor.com