Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendations and Itinerary for Florence??

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All!
I am a newbie to the forum... but am told it can be a great source. I am planning a 8 day trip to Florence for our first wedding anniversary. We are on a limited budget and are looking for hotel recommendations. My online searches generally point me to a Hotel Bellittini - any comments/experiences? Any other suggested hotels for <$150/200 a night? While I'm at it... any great day trips from Florence or itinerary musts? Thanks in advance!!!!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:28 AM

We are staying in a B&B that we found through www.cross-pollinate.com. Pretty reasonable to more costly. For days trips, I took one to Siena/ San Gminignano which was pretty good, through Caf tours (see below). This time we are considering a wine tour through Tuscan trails (see below) Florence is a great city. All the sites you want to see are pretty compact and walkable.
www.tuscantrails.com/
www.caftours.com
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Florencebound, when are you travelling? Florence is a very compact city and we found it insanely crowded last June on June 22, 23, 24, which coincided with 2 special events in Florence.

We stayed at Hotel Silla on the quieter south side of the Arno just over the Ponte Alle Grazie bridge. It's a convenient walk over the bridge to the Uffizi Gallery.

Hotel Silla has a great staff. They offered to make our museum reservations for us, as a complimentary service. I gave them our preferred times and dates and they took care of the reservations for us and sent us our reservation numbers by e-mail. The museum can then charge you a couple extra euros for the reservation, but you get to skip the line and they may waive the extra fee which they did for us, only charging us regular admission fee. Whether or not they waive the extra fee depends on how bad the crowds are, I think.

They have a nice breafast buffet in a garden.

Our room was 160 euros, and I think it was their best room. It was comfortable, with a nice big bed, but not memorable. No complaints at all, I'm just saying if you are looking for a spectacular room that you will always remember for an anniversary, this isn't it.

Many hotels in Florence suffer from street noise, vespas, etc. But the Hotel Silla has a fairly quiet location, especially if you ask for a quiet room.

Have a wonderful anniversary trip. do you want restaurant recommendations?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Hi - All sounds so familiar we were in Florence last year on out 1st anniv as well. we were only there fr a few days - as we ventured to other parts of italy as well. Here are some ideas for Florence based on our experiences:

We stayed in Hotel Caravaggio. Here is the review on tripadvisor. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Tuscany.html

We found it to be clean and friendly - no frills - just a nice and simple place which is what we needed. It is located about 5 minues (walking distance) from the train station - so we just rolled our bags over. Our room had views of the Duomo. It is also right around the corner from San Lorenzo's Market and the duomo. Location was key and price was pretty amazing as well.

As for where to eat - HIghly recommend Il Latini:
Via del Palchetti 6R
Chiuso il Lunedi
Palazzo Rucellai
Florence, 50125
Italy
Tel: 055-210-916

It was recommended by Rachel Ray on $40 a day - and we loved it. Had dinner there 2 days in a row - you have to try their Riboleta.

Things to do (to name a few):
1. Duomo - can go inside as well as climb to the top of the dome
2. Window shop along Ponte Vecchio
3. Visit the Boboli Gardens (behind Pitti Palace)
4. Shop at San Lorenzo's Market - great tapestries, leather articles
5. Take the bus to Piazza Michelangelo to get a breathtaking view of Florence from above
6. Sit and people watch in Piazza Signoria
7. Most importantly - have lots and lots of gelato

Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Lines to get into the Academy (David) and the Uffizi are long, 1-2 hours or more. Call 1 or 2 days ahead to book an appointment time. Show up at the appointed time and you can walk right in, completely by-passing all the suckers standing in line wasting their precious vacation time.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM

For great value, check out Hotel Casci (hotelcasci.com). You can search on the name here for lots of comments. ALso check tripadvisor for this and any of the other hotels mentioned here.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:24 AM

I am staying two nights in September at this B&B (someone suggested on fodors.com talk) - it is new. If you do a search you may find others who have comments.

ANTICA DIMORA FIRENZE
http://www.anticadimorafirenze.it
130E/night (includes breakfast)
* I reserved with credit card, but they only take cash or Traveler's Checks in Euros.

Have fun and congrats on your first year of being married!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM

There are great daytrip options from Florence, and many are easily accessible by train. Pisa, Siena (my favorite), Orvieto, and Lucca all come to mind, but there are many others. There are also many companies that specialize in organized daytrips to regions like Chianti (for winery tours), etc.

Be sure to walk (or bus up) up to Piazzale Michaelangelo for wonderful views of Florence.

Tracy
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM

I have also reserved the Antica Dimora Firenze for May. It looks very nice and the price is real reasonable for Florence that time of year.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Oooo, we reserved Antica Dimora for June. Let us know what you think. This is our first trip to Florence and unfortunately we only have 2 days in June.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM

We stayed at Hotel Belvedere before and are staying there again in May. It's in your price-range, has great views, a lovely garden, nice-size rooms, a swimming pool and the owners/staff are very helpful. It's across the river, but walking distance to the city center (but we're big walkers, but it would be a short cab ride). You can contact them at [email protected].

Happy anniversary. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions... has anyone actually stayed at the Antica Dimora Firenze yet? That looks very promising thus far (our trip is in May)...
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:13 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Bellettini when we were in Florence five years ago and loved it! It is right by the leather market & we look forward to going back again next September.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:40 AM

My husband and I stayed at Palazzo Ruspoli, a 3 star, in September 2003. The location was great, half a block from the Duomo. If you look at florenceby.com you can see pictures of the rooms. We had the blue/yellow room and from the window there was a view of the dome. The place looks exactly like the pictures. Breakfast was good with meats and cheese, pastries, etc. We both liked the hotel and would stay there again. It is showing $177-$215 for high season, which would include May.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM

florencebound--are you really, really, really into Renaissance art and architecture? If so, then 8 days in Florence in May might be bearable if you take 4 or 5 day trips out of the city.

Otherwise, I'd not spend more than 3 or 4 days there.

I do admit to not liking Florence at all--I'm not particularly thrilled by Renaissance art and I found Florence to be particularly crowded, noisy, polluted.

But to be fair, many people are huge fans of Renaissance art, and Florence is the place to be if you are one of those. Even though the city itself is the pits. Oops, my bias is showing again.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Note also that I am on my second double Manhatten:

Put 4 or 5 ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Add:

3 jiggers of bourbon or rye.
1 jigger sweet or dry vermouth
Dash or 2 of bitters

STIR do not shake. You do not want to muddy the mixture--a nice mahogany color should result. Looks great in evening sunlight.

Add TWO marichino (spelling?) cherries to a large martini glass.

Pour elixir into glass.

Drink at pace dictated by mood or how hellish your workday was.

Give one cherry to spousal unit.

When lower lip is numb, eat cherry.

Repeat, substituting upper lip for lower lip.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:37 AM
Annalisa

I have a reservation at the Antica Dimora in March. I have only read two reviews, but both were positive. There is nothing on Tripadvisor. It does look good, even if a bit out of the way. Since I'll be the first of us on this thread to check it out, I'll be sure to post a review when I return.