Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendation on Las Ramblas in Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Greg

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel on Las Ramblas in Barcelona? I've come across the Hotel Continental (not to be confused with the Hotel Inter-Continental), which doesn't sound too bad. Any thoughts on this or any other hotel? Price range $80-150 USD. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance! <BR>Greg

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Henry

Greg:we stayed at the Royal Hotel about 2 yrs.ago.Liked it very much right on the Ramblas.Great location & very good breakfast included.Enjoy.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 05:36 PM
lynn

Hi Greg: <BR>We always stay at the Regina Hotel at the top of the Ramblas near Placa de Catalunya. Great location. The underground and train station is accessible by an elevator from the street level just outside the hotel. <BR>The hotel itself is very nice and in your price range. The dinners tend to be a bit pricey but there's lots to choose from out there, breakfasts were excellent however. <BR>Regards, <BR>Lynn <BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Michael

Greg... <BR>We stayed at the Hotel Continental for 2 weks in October. It is located at the top of the Rambles. Excellent location and a nice clean affordable hotel. It is 1/2 block from Playa Catalunya and the Metro stop. Includes a great continental breakfast and the staff were unbelievably helpful and accomodating! Rooms include a microwave and refridgerator.I would highly recommend this hotel. You won't be dissapointed. When I return, this is where I'll definitely stay again, Good luck!

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 07:30 PM
steve

Here's another suggestion - the Duques de Bergara which is located about 50 meters from the plaza catalunia which is the beginning of the Ramblas. We loved Barcelona, but I would not recommend staying at a hotel right on the Ramblas. This street is active all night long and is very noisy. However, maybe that's what you're looking for. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:33 AM
Dan

And another: Try the Hotel Jardi. It's a block off the Ramblas, and very convenient to everything. Adjoins 2 separate little plazas (if you have a map, one is Placa del Pi) and a cathedral. You can walk all over Barcelona from here. I did. Ph:34-93-301-5900 34-93-318-3664 fax

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Sharon

ooh Im really excited, I ve never stopped at a hotel before that people have asked about. I stayed in the continental la rambla two months ago, a great bargain hotel for the location. the rooms are a bit seventies, and smelled of cigarette smoke (as does everywhere in Barcalona), but, we got a room with a balcony overlooking la rambla -you have to pay a bit extra - and every night could sit out on the balcony with a bottle of Cava watching the human traffic below. Amazing

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 03:19 PM
Capo

Hi Greg, <BR> <BR>From the website below (I knew the Hotel Continental had a connection with George Orwell)... <BR> <BR>Hotel Continental <BR> Europe's most famous boulevard is of course full of hotels, from basic to luxurious, but this one, near the top, has a special place in my heart for its part in George Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" -- and its individual, eccentric character. Family-run since it opened in 1898, Hotel Continental is decorated with old photographs of a more glorious past, patterned carpets, and floral drapes. Rooms are homely, over-decorated with frilly lampshades and wallpaper depicting pastoral scenes...but comfortable. The whole point is to get a room with a balcony on La Rambla. Book ahead and insist. <BR> <BR>http://www.concierge.com/features/in...rc_hotels.html <BR> <BR>This site also mentions the Hotel Jardi (which we tried to get a room at last March, but was booked until September!) and the Hotel Gran Via (which we found a room at, and loved, though I think it would be fun to stay right on La Rambla.) <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Cindy

I'm so glad to hear the positive feedback about the Hotel Continental. I will be staying here at the end of June and have booked a room with a balcony overlooking La Rambla. The price is 13,900 ptas (about $77 US) and this includes a breakfast buffet. They have already been very helpful with some questions I had regarding my stay. You can e-mail them at [email protected]. Good luck!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Margo

CONTINENTAL: Rambla Canaletas 138, 08002. <BR>Tel: 93-3012570. Fax: 93-3027360. <BR>Web site: <BR>http://www.hotelcontinental.com/ <BR>E-mail: [email protected] (35 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) 8500ptas/51EURO (13500ptas/81EURO queen-size bed, balcony or facing Rambla) single; 11000ptas/66EURO (14000ptas/84EURO queen-size bed, balcony or facing Rambla) double; 12000ptas/72EURO (14000ptas/84EURO 2 twin beds, balcony or facing Rambla) double; 14500ptas/87EURO (17500ptas/105EURO queen-size bed, twin bed & balcony facing Rambla) triple; 17000ptas/102EURO (20000ptas/121EURO queen-size bed, 2 twin beds, balcony or facing Rambla) quad. Visa, MC, AX, DC. Buffet breakfast (6am-12noon, includes eggs) is included in the rates & can be served in the room (500ptas/3EURO extra pp). English spoken (José), cable TV w/BBC World & Eurosport, phones, fabulous wonderful charming hotel w/beautifully furnished & identically decorated nice-size rms., ceiling fans, #373, 374 & 244 (all w/king-size or 2 twin beds w/2 pull-out twin beds underneath the bed & balconies that face Rambla) are for a double or family; #255 (queen-size bed, large bathroom w/full-size bathtub & faces interior) are for a double; #259 & 258 (both are tiny adorable rms. w/double beds & small balconies that face back) are for a double; #250 (2 rms. w/double bed, 2 twin beds, 2 phones, bathroom w/full-size bathtub & faces interior), 247 (2 rms. w/double bed, 2 twin beds, bathroom w/ 2 toilets & interior patio w/2 doors to each room) & 375 (double bed, 2 twin beds & 2 bathrooms) are for a family; hairdriers, fridges, microwaves, safes, 9 rms. w/balconies, 5 rms. w/terraces, laundry services, bar, fabulous location on the noisiest but most popular street in Barcelona, elevator, 2 flrs. Owned/managed by Pilar Vallee. Look out for Kankkunen, the huge wonderful white Finnish mascot dog. Metro: Catalunya. Exit metro and walk on the left side with the even numbers going down Rambla. Cross street: Carrer Santa Ana. <BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Greg

This may be a dumb question, but is there a difference between a balcony and a terrace? What I am envisioning is being able to put a couple chairs outside and people-watch while enjoying a nice bottle of wine. <BR> <BR>Also, Margo's post (thanks Margo!) brought up another question I've been wondering about. When a room is listed as "double", does it refer to the size of the bed, the size of the room, or the number of people staying in the room? I always thought it was the bed, but the hotel description makes it sound like it's the size of the room or number of people staying there. Finally, I realize that queen and king-sized beds are probably not too common, but if they are, how does one request a larger bed? I believe I read somewhere the term is "matrimonio", but am not sure. <BR> <BR>Thanks again to EVERYONE for all your assistance on this topic - you've been great! <BR> <BR>Greg