Notices

Hotel Recommendation near D'Orsay

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 08:57 AM
Deena

Hotel Recommendation near D'Orsay

We will be traveling to Paris next May and would love some recommendations on a nice three star hotel near the D'Orsay Museum. We'd love a hotel with nice size rooms that's beautifully decorated. Anyone out there have any suggestions?? Thanks, in advance!

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 10:03 AM
s.fowler

The Hotel Verneuil was just featured in Travel&Leisure. It is very near the Musee D'Orsay. Here's a website: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007verneuil2.htm

I'd love to stay there, but I'm sure you need to reserve way ahead.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 06:57 AM
Lu B.

Can you tell me specifically which issue of Travel & Leisure featured Hotel Verneuil? Thanks.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 06:58 AM
Lu B.

Can you tell me specifically which issue of Travel & Leisure featured Hotel Verneuil? Thanks.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 07:15 AM
Yvonne

Out of curiosity I went to the www.travelandleisure.com to read about the hotel. You may find the text of "The best new hotels in Paris" at http://www.pathfinder.com/travel/TL/...es/1133_2.html. According to the web page the data is from the August 1999 issue.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 07:29 AM
elaine

Dear Lu
I hope someone can be more specific than I, but I recall that it was a recent issue, perhaps October or September.

Deena,
Also look into the Lutetia, boul
Raspail, It is the only large "grand" hotel on the left bank. They are owned by Concorde Hotels which has a website and there are often "deals" available.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:32 AM
Lori

I understand the Hotel Solferino is quite nice and close to the D'Orsay. I

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 08:49 AM
Carol

HiDeena,

re the Lutetia: a friend of mine just got back from Paris, having stayed at the Lutetia and found it kind of dowdy.
I would definitely try the Verneuil over the Lutetia. Another point in favor of the Verneuil IMO is its location in the heart of the Faubourg St. Germain antiques district--and its only a couple of block away from the Seine.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 03:20 PM
julie cabral

Last spring I stayed in the Hotel du Danube on the rue jacob which was minutes away from the seine, Musee D'Orsay, Blvd. St. Germain, the L'Orangerie, jardin des tuillleries and the Louvre as well as all sorts of wonderful antique shops, bookstore, little cafes and great bistros. I loved the proximity to everything. It is a 3 star hotel and our room was very well appointed with good size bath, nice decor and a very helpful staff.You can email me for the fax # if you are interested.

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 04:17 AM
Maribel

The "European Traveller" newsletter in its issue on Paris hotels included the Verneuil as one of its recommendations.
Here's their description:

"This pretty little hotel has a great location on a quiet, residential street.
The present owners completely redecorated its 26 rooms when they acquired the hotel more than four years ago. Each room has a small hallway entrance and is one of three sizes....The mid-size double room is on the small side for two people. Those who prefer extra rom will definitely want the deluxe double. All are well maintained, cheerfully decorated, are comfortable and priced according to size. The baths are modern and the housekeeping impeccable. Favorite views are in the front of the hotel facing the small stret with the French windows and flower boxes. Breakfast, included in the room price, is served in the intriguing stone cellar. The staff is young and energetic, and while they won't always know the best places to go, they posses that extra enthusiasm to please that will have you wondering if they aren't secretly part owners."

Friends of mine stayed there during the World Cup. They reported the location fantastic, but the room miniscule and wished they had reserved a deluxe double.
Another 3 star even closer to the D'Orsay is the Bellechasse. You can view it at www.libertel-hotels.com

The Lutetia is more larger, 289 rooms, and my "Easy Escapes" newslater says of it:
"The superior and deluxe rooms are qite large, with high ceilings and very spacious baths. The rooms are decorated in Art-Deco style-a bit sterile but comfortable. Even the corridors are expansive...The staff is truly service oriented, everyone we met was pleasant and eager to help. Another plus is the Brasserie Lutetia, which continues the hotel's over-the-top Art-Deco theme."

Hope that helps you to decide.

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 04:21 AM
Maribel

Really bad proofreading! Read "larger" (not more larger) and "newsletter". Need more coffee!

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 04:56 PM
Bram

Hi Deena,
In the summer of '98 my wife and I stayed at the Hotel de Suede,a very small and charming hotel int the 7th arr., about 10 minutes walk from the d'orsay.Half thr rooms overlook the priministers garden which is a huge sprawling park. It was like being in the countryside. Our room was not that spacious,but spotless and I understand they have some suites and larger rooms. We would definately stay there again.
Regards,
Bram