Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Recommendation in Prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-recommendation-in-prague-737636/)

gwswimming Sep 20th, 2007 02:24 AM

Hotel Recommendation in Prague

Hello,
We will be travelling to Prague in early November and are looking for hotel recommendations. We would like to stay at a hotel that is within walking distance to the main sights. We are looking for a nice hotel -- in the medium priced range, not super expensive but that is a nice place close to everything. If possible, we would like a hotel with parking.

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

DAX Sep 20th, 2007 06:12 AM

I find the Renaissance & Marriott to be good value hotels in terms of quality & price but also in location.

cheryllj Sep 20th, 2007 06:20 AM

I like the Maximilian. It's in the Old Town, a short walk from the Clock Tower. I thought it was a good value and it has a nice breakfast buffet.

tower Sep 20th, 2007 06:59 AM

gw:

We're big fans of the unique 16th century inn, Three Ostriches (U Tri Pstrosu), smack on the Charles bridge (Karluv Most), close to both Lesser Town and Stary Mesto...walk everywhere. Must get a room with view of the bridge...be sure to do this. November is low season so you should get a room for about 180E's ($250) with a fine breakfast in their restaurant. We've sent several friends there and all loved it.
http://www.utripstrosu.cz/main.php?pageid=3

Stu T.

Bellee Sep 20th, 2007 07:38 AM

House at the Big Boot was wonderful! Old world charm, big rooms, cooked to order breakfast and great hotel owners.
We were there last Oct and it was great. Hotel owners were great especially when we had an emergency and had to go to the hospital (twice). Took us in their own car and translated for us.
Downhill from the castle. 3 blocks from major trams. 5 blocks or so from Charles Bridge. Good inexpensive place or two to eat & drink in the area.

Christina Sep 20th, 2007 08:59 AM

I think the Marriott and Renaissance are good ideas, as that is a very convenient location, and being down a street that isn't as congested as dead center means they had more space to build facilities, like a parking garage. It really depends what your idea of medium-priced is, it would help to say. You aren't going to get parking free in a hotel in Old Town Prague, it's about 25 euro a day in hotel garages like the Marriott. I don't know what the Maximilian charges, but they only have limited space, so you'd have to ask them.

I've stayed at the Maximilian twice and really like that location, also, but I think it is pretty expensive now -- probably about like the Marriott and Renaissance, though. It would be more difficult to drive to it.

violetduck Sep 20th, 2007 07:01 PM

Recently stayed at Hotel Rott,great location for all major sights,nice room and breakfast buffet. It is just around the corner from the major Old Town square on a smaller square. We didn't have a car so I don't know about parking. I think having a car in Prague would be very difficult.

rhkkmk Sep 20th, 2007 07:14 PM

priceline often gets you the marriott

baby108 Sep 20th, 2007 07:21 PM

We got Marriott thru priceline for US$100 couple years ago. Very good location and safe. No breakfast but there was a supermarket right next door. Like someone mentioned, it's not in the middle of old town with congestion traffic on narrow street but just 5-10 mins walk to the clock and Charles Bridge. I think they have parking underground.

gwswimming Sep 21st, 2007 01:11 AM

Hello,

Thank you for all of the recommendations. If I do Priceline, could you tell me what I search under to get the Marriott City Center? -- there are three options on Priceline for neighborhoods (East, West and Southeast). Do I pick 5 or 4 Stars?

Thank you so much!

baby108 Sep 21st, 2007 04:42 AM

Under www.biddingfortravel.com,Marroitt is under 5 stars EAST, you can check the winning bids at that website to see if anyone gets it lately or around Nov. last year.

dutyfree Sep 21st, 2007 07:36 PM

Hotel Diezenhofer is where we stayed and loved it. Right next to the Charles Bridge and down from the castle yet close enough to walk over to Old Town.Price was great, and they were so helpful with providing airport shuttle service and advice and booking for daytrips.

Versus Sep 21st, 2007 08:08 PM

I will be in Prague in December and I'm thinking of renting this apartment located at Nerudova 39 (Prague castle/Mala Strana area).

Does anyone know this area? Is it safe, nice, conveniently located?

Thanks for the feedback.

Marusja1 Sep 21st, 2007 10:30 PM

I also wanted to recommend Diezenhofer. We stayed there for the New Year 2004/2005, and loved it.

Andrew Sep 21st, 2007 10:58 PM

Versus, I stayed in an apartment on Nerudova in 2005 for two nights in Prague. While I loved this part of the city (I think it's the oldest part), with its quaint old buildings and windy little roads, Nerudova itself is a pretty steep hill, without any buses so you must walk from the tram stop up the hill or take a taxi. Depends how far up the hill you are whether it's too taxing or not, but I was pretty far up and found the walk a bit tedious and wound up moving across the river for the last two nights in Prague.

Nerudova is quite safe, though. There are a number of embassies and government buildings up that way. Undoubtedly it's the safest part of town.

Versus Sep 22nd, 2007 05:43 AM

Andrew, thanks for the advice.

Can you tell me what area should I look for then? Since, I have never been in Prague it's hard to decide.

Thanks again,
Versus

Christina Sep 22nd, 2007 05:51 AM

I would agree with that advice on the Nerudova apts. I think that is a company that a lot of people run across when looking, as I know I've read posts on here several times of people asking about apts on that street. If it's the one I'm thinking, it is about halfway up the hill and I sure wouldn't want to stay there, either. It's too inconvenient a location.

It isn't really the area that you need to look for, as they are fairly large -- that apt. would say it was in an area that could be fine, you just have to check the location and exact street of any place you are interested in. Of course, most people won't want to be out of Prague District 1, if you really haven't been there before and want convenience to tourist interests. Districts 2, 5 and 7 aren't too bad, but you probably want 1.

I would just steer clear of anything saying it was in the castle area, but I don't think you'll find a lot like that.

mbt127 Sep 26th, 2007 02:33 PM

I just stayed at the Pachtuv Palace last month, across the street from the river and 2 blocks from the Charles Bridge in Old Town. it's a small luxury hotel (beautiful sleeping rooms, great staff, lovely breakfast room... depending on what you need in a hotel, it has limited amenities: no restaurant except breakfast, no fitness/spa, no business/computer room... but i didn't miss these at all as i was too busy enjoying the city).

adnil1962 Oct 9th, 2007 04:51 PM

I stayed at the Acadia Residence - LOVED IT!!!!

Check out my trip report, I was in Prague for a month in July. I gave lots of suggestions on what to do/see, eat, etc.

I posted it in early August.

Momliz Oct 9th, 2007 08:16 PM

bookmarking