Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotel recommendation in Athens? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-recommendation-in-athens-806812/)

jbh555 Sep 19th, 2009 08:41 AM

hotel recommendation in Athens?

We just booked a last minute crusie from Athens and need a hotel for one night. Does anyone have a suggestion for a place around $150.00 that is in a decent location?

brotherleelove2004 Sep 19th, 2009 09:16 AM

Amazon, Attalos, Cecil, Magna Grecia, Acropolis View, Metropolis, Arethusa, Pan.

stanbr Sep 20th, 2009 07:21 AM

You will want a hotel near the Acropolis in Plaka or Monastraki. Brotherlee's suggestions meet that requirement.
We have stayed at Attalos several times. It is a budget hotel, nothing special except its location and its rooftop bar overlooking the Acropolis.
Try searching for a hotel on booking.com. It gives you prices and availability of multiple hotels as well as their location.

In this album the 7-9th pictures are from Attalos rooftop bar.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570719132pdjjHG

internetwiz Sep 20th, 2009 12:12 PM

We just came back from Athens and stayed at Hotel Phaedra. Although it's nothing fancy, the staff is friendly and it's quiet and in a great location. It also has a rooftop dining area with a view of the Acropolis.

travelerjan Sep 20th, 2009 03:09 PM

Internetwiz, when y ou say "dining area" do you mean they now have a RESTAURANT up there? When I have stayed at Phaedra before, there were rooftop tables and umbrellas for use of guests, but no food service or requirement. Please clarify! Thanks!

johnnieb Sep 21st, 2009 06:18 AM

I'll add my faves to the list Cypria, Achilleas, Amalia,Amazon, Hermes, Central,...all within a couple blocks of one another...at The Cypria, request a "new" wing room..at the Amazon a higher floor, at the Achilleas, a room facing Lekka Street. At the Hermes and Central (next door to each other) there are some Acropolis view rooms..the Central has a nice view from the roof. Personally, I would avoid the Cecil and the Attalos. There are great options in your price range. stay near Syntagma Square for ease of transport, orientation,
and ease of seeing the city.

grandmere Sep 21st, 2009 07:11 AM

Have stayed at Acropolis View 2X, and would recommend it.

BowenLinda Sep 21st, 2009 04:06 PM

Johnnie, why would you avoid the Attalos? I have it booked for late October.

johnnieb Sep 21st, 2009 05:18 PM

The Attalos is not located where I like to be, its clean, and you will be fine..I find it grossly over rated..and the last time I stayed there, the bathroom floor drain (they are in every bath in Greece), was really gross smelling. My friends, who go to Athens twice a year, always stay there, and think I am too choosy abut areas..they say its fine. Place is also getting worn..as it is a busy place...mostly thanks to Matt Barretts' Greece guide.

jbh555 Sep 21st, 2009 07:47 PM

thanks again to everybody! We are booked at the Cypria, and will request a new wing room, as per johnnieb's suggestion..

internetwiz Sep 24th, 2009 12:39 PM

travelerjan, I should have put "dining area" in quotes (re: Hotel Phaedra). No restaurant but the roof does have a great view and we had a picnic brunch up there. Also, I would not recommend anyone pay extra for breakfast there. Breakfast was included in our rate, but even so, the choices were meager.

BowenLinda Sep 24th, 2009 06:12 PM

Johnnie, thanks for your comments. Although I love the rate I received from the Attalos, I don't want smelly drains. Would you ID your top 2 or 3 budget to moderate Athens hotels? Thanks, Linda

johnnieb Sep 26th, 2009 10:27 AM

Achilleas (around the corner from The Astor, on Lekka St)
The Pan (basic, clean, fabulously located)
Metropolis Hotel (on Mitropolis St, a few blocks downhill from Syntagma Square...across from the Cathedral of Athens..spartan but clean w/bath/ac/TV)...that should give you some options.

johnnieb Sep 26th, 2009 10:33 AM

those were the budget ones...the moderate ones that I like
Cypria (new wing)
Hermes or Central (next door to each other)
Amazon

all six are within a couple of blocks of one another, located close enough to the Airport Bus or Metro to walk to, as long as you do not have a steamer trunk! Syntagma Square area is always my first choice.

for luxury options..
The Grande Bretagne
The King George
The Electra Palace (not to be confused with the Electra Hotel)
Athens Gate

brotherleelove2004 Sep 26th, 2009 10:50 AM

Linda, one smelly drain does not a whole hotel make. I've stayed at the Attalos and had a very pleasant experience.

Others in the same neighborhood that are convenient to both the Plaka, Metro and Syntagma Square are the Arethusa, Pan, Metropolis, Amazon and Acropolis View. Most recently I stayed in the Amazon (last July) and was very happy with my room. They have done a complete renovation and the room I had was modern and clean.

BowenLinda Sep 27th, 2009 05:25 PM

Johnnie and Lee, thanks for the updated list - really helpful.

Lee, put it down to stupid last-minute tweaking...

Thanks again,

L