Hotel Recommendation for Seville

Nov 11th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Recommendation for Seville

I'll be staying three nights in Seville in mid-December, arriving by train from Cordoba. Can anyone recommend a good part of town to stay in and possibly a mid-priced hotel? This is my first visit, so I'll be doing the normal site-seeing, but I wouldn't mind some inconvenience to be in a more interesting neighborhood.
Nov 11th, 2016, 03:48 PM

We recently stayed at Gran Melia Colon, wonderful hotel and location.. Another poster who is doing an Andalusian trip report also stayed there.
It is not normally mid-range but since you are traveling off season, perhaps you can find a deal there.
Seville isn't a big city so it's easy to access the sites.
Nov 11th, 2016, 04:38 PM

I have stayed at the Eurostar Regina twice (2013, 2015).

It is in the Macarena area but is a reasonable walking distance to everything (20 minutes to the cathedral)

The C4 bus stop is minutes away. Lots of interesting bars and dives in the area.

Mark
Nov 11th, 2016, 10:58 PM

You might want to take a look at Las Casas de El Arenal, Calle Castelar, 16 (www.casasdeelarenal.com). Well priced, excellent location.
Nov 12th, 2016, 02:32 AM

I'll chime in by saying that I would prefer NOT to stay in the Santa Cruz neighborhood, which I found to be teeming with tourists.

Robert (above) always has great advice based on multiple visits to all parts of Spain.
Nov 12th, 2016, 04:49 AM

I prefer an area nearer to the cathedral personally but my hotel would be way beyond your budget.

I understand, but do not share (as much), Ekscrunchy's "concerns" about "tourists" however, my own and very personal experiences in Seville have been that those "tourists" end up BEING in all the locations you want to actually visit and who knows where they sleep?
Nov 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM

I've stayed in Santa Cruz a couple of times (Hotel Murillo, Hotel Casa de la Juderia, if I am recalling the names correctly) and more recently, have rented a flat in another area close to the cathedral. I felt that most of the shops and restaurants that lined the streets of Sta Cruz were geared toward tourists. In addition, the area seemed to be noisy at night.

I preferred to be in an area with more local businesses. Many people love Sta Cruz and Sevilla is compact enough that it is easy to walk from one area to another. I can't imagine that there is a "bad" area to stay so I would not worry as much as I might when booking in another, larger, city.

One of our favorite places to eat on our last visit turned out to be in Triana but it was no issue to walk the 20 minutes or so from our flat which was, as I mentioned, close to the cathedral and also close to Sta Cruz.
Nov 12th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Another thumbs up for EK's suggestion of Las Casas de la Juderia in Santa Cruz. During Santa Semana the entire city was a zoo but we enjoyed the tranquility and charm of Las Casas...easy walk to everywhere of interest. No car necessary.
Nov 12th, 2016, 10:43 AM

https://goo.gl/photos/JoC4VMo5qhV6sS9r5

sfd Chicago...Seville...scroll down to hotel pics
Nov 12th, 2016, 12:11 PM

"It is in the Macarena area but is a reasonable walking distance to everything..."

I would not stay in Macarena..

With only 3 nights, more central location would be better
Nov 12th, 2016, 01:19 PM

I doubt if most tourists, especially first time, have a horror of the Santa Cruz area. I've stayed there twice and found it quite likable and really convenient. Many other parts of the city have just as many tourists, actually (ie, around the Cathedral or the area between it and the river). I've been in the Macarena area and wouldn't stay there, either, not someone who doesn't know what they are getting into.

If your goal is to walk miles every day just to get somewhere, fine, but as a tourist, you are going to be spending enough time walking around as is. It is more than 20 minutes from Macarena to a lot of things, also, unless you are power walking. It's about 2 km to the cathedral.
Nov 12th, 2016, 01:41 PM

I stayed at Las Casas de El Arenal and at Hotel Amadeus. Both are in excellent locations, although I prefer the location of Amadeus which is in the old Judería area, at 2 min. walk from the Cathedral.
Nov 12th, 2016, 02:07 PM

Just back from Spain and spent a few nights at the Corner House in Sevilla and liked it a lot. Right on Alameda de Hércules. Good prices, very nice staff, and an very good breakfast included. Rooms aren't huge but very neat and clean. Neat roof deck as well. Not right near the cathedral, but only about a 10 minute walk
Nov 12th, 2016, 02:45 PM

"unless you are power walking. It's about 2 km to the cathedral."

We obviously travel differently if you consider a 1.9 km walk a "power walk"

Other walking distances form Eurostar Regina, according to Goggle Maps

Eslava Restaurant 250 meters
Azotea Restaurant 550 meters
Seville Museum of Fine Arts 900 meters
Palacio Marquesa de la Albaga 1.0 km
Vantana restaurant on Calle Cuna 14 ( my high school friend is the cook there, I thought I would give it a plug) 1.1 km

and finally the Catedral 1.9 km

Now if the OP decides not to join hordes of tourists wrapped around the Cathedral and lining up for the Alcazar, he/she can walk back and maybe have a drink at the Taverna Caipirina on Calle Torneo with not a a tourist wearing a Tilley hat in sight.
Nov 12th, 2016, 08:04 PM

Tilley hat?

Has Seville been invaded by Canadan seniors ?
Nov 12th, 2016, 11:12 PM

Use to stay in or around Alameda de Hercules, very local atmosphere, great tapas bars, restaurants and nightlife, 10-15 mins walk to the cathedral and the other most obvious sights and close to the even more local atmosphere Macarena district with the great market in Calle Feria, the small shops, the many old churches etc. Corregidor and Patio de la Alameda are good mid-priced options here:
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/h10-...dor.en-gb.html
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/pati...eda.en-gb.html

The area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WJkTCpbp8w
Nov 13th, 2016, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I ended up making a reservation at the Corner House, a fairly new B&B on Alameda de Hercules. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Nov 13th, 2016, 11:42 AM

"Has Seville been invaded by Canadan seniors ?"

No, just Americans pretending to be Canadian

Mark
Nov 13th, 2016, 05:38 PM

sfdchicago, please let us know what you think of the Corner House. I hope to be in Seville next October.
Nov 14th, 2016, 12:56 AM

Looks like a great choice, I'll consider Corner House on the Alameda for my next trip to Sevilla.

Here are four close by, excellent and very different restaurant and tapas bar options:

Eslava, one of the best and most popular places in town, both a restaurant and a tapas bar: http://azahar-sevilla.com/sevilletapas/2008/02/eslava/

Az-Zait comes recommended by the Michelin guide: http://az-zait.es/

Bar Sacramento in Calle Feria is as no fuss Spanish as it gets, grilled pork and sausage heaven: http://devoursevillefoodtours.com/wh...alle-san-luis/

Had an excellent and affordable late night meal in Casa Paco next door to the Corner House a few weeks ago. Creative and hearty tapas and raciones: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Andalucia.html

And Alameda de Hércules is the oldest public garden in Europe, dating back to the 1570's when Sevilla was still in its "golden age" as the main port for the gold and goods coming in from the Americas. Lived about 1 million people in Sevilla back then, and the Alameda was the new fashion in town with a rich history ahead in the centuries to come as a cultural and political centre until steep decline during the Franco years and into the 1990's. But through good planning, the Alameda is now back to much of its former glory as a vibrant area popular with locals, full of life and Sevilla history. https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...macarena-spain