Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Recommendation for London - Reasonable??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-recommendation-for-london-reasonable-726367/)

geechong Aug 4th, 2007 01:13 PM

Hotel Recommendation for London - Reasonable???

Okay I know I might be asking for a lot - but can anyone give me a hotel recommendation in London for a reasonable price? My definition of reasonable is anything around $300 US per night.

Wish List:
1. Close to a Tube Station and possible tourist sites.

2. Would prefer a hotel rather than a B&B unless the B&B has a private bath.

3. Air conditioning

I know that the room will be small but a decent bathroom would be nice :-). I will be in London next year around Labor Day for about 2-3 days before heading on to Portugal and Spain.

Thanks!
George

bettyk Aug 4th, 2007 01:20 PM

The Rubens at the Palace Hotel fits your requirements perfectly. We've stayed there twice and love the location. Only 2 blocks from Victoria Station, Buckingham Palace (and the Royal Mews), St. James Park and lots of nice pubs and restaurants.

The rooms are smallish but have a great bathroom/ammenities as well as air conditioning. And we found the breakfast buffet wonderful and the staff very friendly and helpful.

http://www.rubenshotel.com/

You can also try looking for discounted rates at www.londontown.com. We booked our rooms thru them but paid the hotel directly. No problems.

geechong Aug 4th, 2007 01:38 PM

Thank you very much for your suggestion and quick reply!

Carrybean Aug 4th, 2007 02:54 PM

You might also want to check out the Rembrandt. It's directly across the street from the Victoria & Albert & is a couple blocks from the S. Kensington tube station. In the other direction a little ways further from the Knightsbridge station. Lots of buses stop right at the door & several good restaurants in the area.

http://tinyurl.com/y7vte2

emt Aug 4th, 2007 03:22 PM

Another to investigate: The Sanctuary House near Westminster. You can't beat the location, and prices go down significantly on the weekend. I was there just last week, and I think we averaged about $320 USD per night. It has AC, although it's not exactly the most efficient system. Rooms are clean, some recently refurbished. Tube stop is about 2 minutes walk away.

lincasanova Aug 4th, 2007 04:21 PM

check out the winning bids on www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com to show you how to manage a priceline bid.

london has great offers through priceline.

heintzma Aug 4th, 2007 05:59 PM

Last September we stayed at the Park Lane Mews in Mayfair and, while the hotel and room were small, it was perfectly suitable and we loved the location.

smiley7 Aug 4th, 2007 07:30 PM

Check out Darlington Hotel at Hyde Park.
http://www.darlingtonhotel.co.uk/
Less than 5 minutes from the Heathrow Express, Hyde Park and Paddington.
Fairly good sized rooms with ensuite bathrooms & good breakfast included.
Very clean, nice staff.

KTtravel Aug 5th, 2007 11:23 AM

We enjoyed our stay at the Jury's Kensington - about two blocks from the S. Kensington tube station, friendly staff and good A/C.

danon Aug 5th, 2007 11:42 AM

'You might also want to check out the Rembrandt."
We stayed there once (several years ago) - hotel lobby was nice but the room was dirty and the carpet smelled of urine.

KayF Aug 5th, 2007 11:48 AM

Just back from a weekend stay at Club Quarters Trafalgar, round the corner from Trafalgar Square so very central and 5 mins walk to either Embankment tube or Charing Cross Tube. We paid 84 pound plus tax on www.londontown.com breakfast was extra if you wanted it. It's a beautiful old building that has recently been turned into a hotel, nice rooms with new bathrooms and aircon (though we didn't use it). Staff were friendly and professional.
Kay

tinabina Aug 5th, 2007 11:51 AM

Hi,
Just back from London and we used Priceline. Stayed at a London Marriott Marble Arch by Regents Park/Marble Arch. Two blocks to the tube. Nice room with air and Kingsized bed/full bath/N/S room. Paid only 150 with all fees and taxes. staff was very friendly and never mentioned our prepaid room. The surrounding area is largely Middle Eastern, but that had only affected restaurant choices nearby. Priceline offers many other areas in London and it is divided by regions. Check out biddingfortravel.com for information on bidding and a hotel list by star levels.I really encourage you try this, with the state of the dollar vs. the pound your money will be easiy spent elsewhwere during your trip. We had a great time. Good Luck!

tinabina Aug 5th, 2007 11:53 AM

Let me clarify that was $150 US, not pounds, very inexpensive!

sandra3120 Aug 5th, 2007 03:07 PM

George - a previous poster mentioned the Rubens; there is another hotel in the Red Carnation chain, to which The Rubens belongs, that I think is a bit better located for more sight-seeing: The Montague on the Gardens. Their general website is www.redcarnation.com; scroll all the way down to the bottom of the home page and you'll see all the hotels in the chain. Usually, The Rubens, The Montague and The Chesterfield are the ones that offer special prices that would fall in line with your price range. I liked The Montague, off Russeel Square because it was close to Coven Garden, close to Soho and the Trafalgar area, and very accessible to the east end sites, as well, via tube, not to mention some lesser known but very worthwhile smaller museums, such as John Soane's house. Happy hunting!

Sandra

sandra3120 Aug 5th, 2007 03:10 PM

George - sorry - I meant Covent Garden; and I meant to tell you that The Chesterfield is in the Mayfair area, very well located to Bond Street, close enough to Knightsbridge, if that's what you like, and easy to get to Oxford and Regent Streets, as well as Covent Garden, but coming from the opposite side. You'll be well served in any of the Red Carnation Hotels: it just depends what area you'd prefer to locate yourself in.

Sandra

LoriS Aug 5th, 2007 03:12 PM

Try the Pelham. It's at the top end of your range--probably closer to $340/night. But, it's a fantastic, small, boutique hotel (all rooms with air conditioning), and directly across from the South Kensington tube station.

http://www.firmdale.com/pelham.html

mnapoli Aug 5th, 2007 03:56 PM

My family thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Jury's Inn Islington. It is only 2 blocks from the Angel Underground station, and the neighborhood is great!

jewela Aug 6th, 2007 12:29 PM

NH Harrington Hall, just around the corner from Gloucester Rd. tube.

Flemings Mayfair, just around the corner from Green Park tube.

I've stayed at both places, very nice stay. I booked through Hotelsclick.com, and GTAHotels.com. both were under your $300.00 range, and both served a wonderful buffet breakfast. Rooms and bathrooms were larger than many London hotels.
Flemings is just a block away from Shepherds Market.....lots of restaurants, pubs to choose from. NW Harrington has a few places to eat nearby, but it is a very different area than Mayfair.

grandmere Aug 6th, 2007 12:33 PM

Another vote for the Rembrandt; great location!

jay Aug 6th, 2007 12:39 PM

Another for the Reubens although we have used priceline several times and have gotten much better deals.