Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel rec. in St. German-des-Pres please.

Oct 4th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a small, quiet hotel in St. Germain-des-Pres area of Paris? I am looking for December, 2005.
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:17 AM
ira

Hi TG,

What's your budget?

Oct 4th, 2005, 06:22 AM

we like the Hotel St. Germain at 88 rue du bac. There are several with similar names, so check the address.
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Thin,

I think you would like the Madison, which is right across the Blvd. St-Germain from the church of St-Germain-des-Prés. Room windows are double-glazed; so no problem with noise, but you might request a room on one of the higher floors (there are 6 in all, I think). It's an elegant little place with good staff.
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Once again, the very nice LeRegent on Rue Dauphine, especially if you opt for a superior room.
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

OK, so what does a room go for at any of these hotels?
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:14 PM

The De L'Abbaye is quiet, but also close to where you want to be, i.e., restaurants, shops, the Jardins de Luxembourg and the Seine.

http://www.hotel-abbaye.com/
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM

ThinGorjus, I don't know about the others, but LeRegent is normally 200 to 210 euro for a deluxe or superior room. They will be doing some work on the elevator and it may not be available during December. For walking upstairs they reduce the price then to 126 euro for a superior -- fantastic rate if you don't mind a few flights.
See:
http://www.regent-paris-hotel.com/en...-hotel-01.html
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Agree with Patrick, Le Regent on Rue Dauphine is great. L'Atlas cafe on Rue de Buci is nice and right around the corner. We are looking to go back to Paris and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:27 PM

The standard double rooms go for 140 euro at Le Regent, Hotel Saint Germain's jr. room (standard I guess) is 150 euro, Le Madison's standard room is 155 euro, and a standard double at the Jardins du Luxembourg is 140 euro. The larger rooms at Le Regent, Saint Germain, and Le Madison are at least 200 euro and up. At L'Abbaye the standard double room is 199 euro with the larger rooms costing much more.
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Le Regent is not exactly what I call "quiet", nor is the Madison, sorry, maybe I misunderstood what the OP was asking for. And I also thought he hasn't stated a budget, so I keep recommending hotels with rooms ranging from say 160 Euro to 200.

Another suggestion is the Sainte Beuve, which is quiet and pretty, but a little too close to Montparnasse, and a little too far from the Seine.

http://www.hotel-abbaye.com/

And yet another one is the Relais Saint Sulpice. Very well located and quiet as well.

http://www.relais-saint-sulpice.com/...te/accueil.htm

Oct 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Le Regent is on a busy street, that is true. But I found it to be not so bad when I walked by. If it's wintertime the windows will be closed and even if it were hot there is a/c plus the windows are double paned to keep out the noise. Le Madison is located on busy Blvd. St. Germain but it's the same situation as the Le Regent I'd think. Also the Madison is set back a bit from the boulevard.
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Francophile03, it would help if the OP told us what quiet means. To me, a hotel at the busiest part of Boulevard Saint Germain, as much set back as it is, doesn't mean quiet. Nor is a 54 rooms' hotel small by any means.

Anyway, we are here debating about something we aren't quite sure what it is.
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Oops, sorry, I just realized that I mixed up and posted the url of Hotel de l'Abbaye above, instead of the Sainte-Beuve's. Here is is:

http://www.hotel-sainte-beuve.fr/english/welcome.html

Oct 4th, 2005, 05:19 PM

Thingorjus,

Can you give us your budget so we don't suggest hotel that may surpass it? Either that, or get acquainted with Yahoo or Google search and check out the rates on your own. Just a friendly suggestion.
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Well, I really don't have a budget. As long as the room isn't REALLY expensive, like something at Crillon (I stayed here years ago). 150-200 E is about right, although I am sure prices will be lower in December, right????

When I mean quiet, I mean that there is no street noise filtering into the room at night. I have to have quiet to sleep.
Oct 4th, 2005, 05:33 PM

I highly recommend K&K Cayre it's a four star and great value for the area. We just booked 8 days in January and stayed with them last Christmas and New Years. Very warm and friendly staff and best of all location. K&K is running a internet special of 200 euro which includes breakfast. The best I have had in Europe. The only thing I can mention though if your looking for a true decorated Parisian room this hotel will not be what your looking for. Modern and Italian in design. After all our trips to Paris the old furniture gets "well a little old" Enjoy Paris
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Hotel Saint-Thomas d'Aquin
3, Rue du Pré-aux-Clercs
Paris 75007

Just returned from Paris where I stayed at this hotel. Located on a very quiet street, no traffic to speak of, the front rooms have two very large french windows letting in lots of light and making it very cheerful.

There are four rooms on each floor (there is a lift) and the street facing rooms are the best.

120 euro/night. Decorated nice. Not old or shabby.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:02 PM

The rate for the St. Thomas is pretty much a bargain for that part of the 7th that's next to St. Germain. It's amazing their rates have stayed low for so long. The decor is very understated which is nice.
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:17 PM

The Hotel L'Abbaye is very nice, very quiet, and set back off the street on rue Cassette. There's a courtyard and garden where breakfast is served in warm weather. A nice little bar to have a drink where there's a fireplace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO