Hotel Preciados vs. Hotel Opera?

Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Preciados vs. Hotel Opera?

Husband and I are hoping to spend the last leg of our honeymoon in Madrid for 4 nights. Was looking at Maribel's Guide and now I can't choose between the 2 hotels (or should there even be a choice?). Preciados is still ranked high in TripAdvisor, but Opera also seems to be of good value still in Central Madrid (obviously costs much lower to stay there than in Preciados). It's the first time for both of us in Spain and we plan on hopefully exploring everything (meaning major sights - museums, etc) on foot leisurely - is it even possible? Which of these areas would be better for honeymooners? Your feedback would be of great help! Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 02:29 AM

Hotel Opera is in a bit quieter part.. looking out over the royal palace practically. If the savings is substantial, rooms may be smaller ( I have stayed there and the room we had was not very large and definitely a 3*), BUT I am not familiar with Preciados Hotel although it is well located, if I recall, it is on a busy pedestrian or in a shopping street area.

when you do a search, try www.trivago.com to see if any other hotels in the area offer something similar in price or comfort, and get back to us, because there E nay nice hotels around that may have special offers and be as nice or nicer than those two as far as a bit more "luxury" or bang for your buck.

Also keep your eyes open on travelzoo.com and travelzoo.es. many times there are fabulous offers there.

Congratulations on your wedding and enjoy your travel planning!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM

We stayed at the Opera in 07 during the hotel's renovation period. The location is great right near the Royal Palace and close enough to the action of SOl and Plaza Mayor. (it won't be real quiet but probably less hectic area than Preciados as Lin said.)

But I hope the Opera redid ALL the rooms. Our was fairly spacious good closet & bath etc, good hot water in shower but quite dreary and very very dated. Nothing like pics on the website.. Not at all romantic. We also had a huge leak in the ceiling when it rained and that long saga is all here in the old trip reports and also on Trip advisor I posted the pics. Service was uneven...good some days and pretty rude others.

Noww IF all the rooma at the OPera have been remodeled and look like the do on the website then yes go for it! Especially if you get a balcony with spa http://www.hotelopera.com/en/offers.html
I suggest you try to get breakfast in the price it is just a savings and convenient...you can always go out if you feel like it.

As for Preciados we had friends go for their honeymoon and they liked it very much!! They loved the location it is a bit more happening..I think they did get some sort of honeymoon suite..

Frankly if you cannot get the jacuzzi room in the Opera I would consider one of the Hotels a bit closer to Santa Ana & or the Prado...just my preference. I did like the Opera location but if you get a deal near Retiro park and the museum triangle it woul also be romantic..and a bit more fun.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 04:27 PM

I much prefer the area near Plaza Santa Ana/ Prado. I will not recommend the hotel where I have stayed the last couple of times (Hotel Prado), not because there is anything wrong with it, but because it has no "wow" factor for a honeymoon. I would look at the Catalonia Las Cortes, which has a price point similar to Preciados. If your budget allows, consider the Westin Palace or the ME Reina Victoria.

Congratulations!
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you Well, the budget is more or less EUR600-650 (max!) for accommodation - so crossing out the 5* hotels...Was also looking at Catalonia Las Cortes but husband liked the look of Preciados' rooms more.

amsdon - Any recommended hotels with similar price points near the Plaza Sta Ana/Prado areas? How about Hotel Meninas? Hotel Vincci SoHo or Centrum?
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Las Meninas is near the opera, not Plaza Santa Ana. I would be concerned booking this hotel due to reports of street noise from a nearby club . The Vincci Soho is in the same street as Catalonia Las Cortes. I have read good things about it, from the outside looked nice. I have never heard of the Centrum?
Another one in a good location which opened recently is NH Paseo del Prado.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 05:01 AM

The Vincci hotels are reliably nice.
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 07:36 PM

I would take a look at the choices suggested by Cruise she is correct re the Meninas...which is also a sisetr hotel to the Opera. I also thought to suggest the Cortes, especially one of the few frescoed rooms but the budget doe nnot allow. ...keep looking they have a special on at some point. I too have read about both Centrum & Soho but have never stayed there. I did have both on my list though...lets keep looking .
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM

Cokes did I miss it? When is your trip? Also start reading scrunchy's most recent report the woman is a master trip report writer....
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi amsdon - still looking! not to worry, the trip is not until May. Just planning way ahead because of the visa requirements and all. Husband suggested Habitat Apartments - there was one in the Lavapies area - is that a good choice?
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:16 PM

Don't know....Lavapies is not an area I would stay as a first timer going to Spain on my honeymoon...
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM

If this is your first time in Madrid (plus you are in your honeymoon), I suggest better to stay at a hotel(rather than an apt) at one of the more centric areas discussed above.
Old Jan 21st, 2011, 11:19 PM

that area can be VERY iffy.. best to stick to more central. Might have unusual neighbors, which is one of the problems with some apartments in some areas.

For a honeymoon I would also definitely stick with a hotel unless you have a direct contact and apartment that someone can recommend that is in a NICE building on a NICE street with normal neighbors.
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Ok got it! Will scrap the apartment idea then. Errr, I guess we should be staying in a hotel in Barcelona too? A little off-topic but we were planning to get one near Pedrera...still not a good idea? Or are apartment choices in Barcelona generally better than those in Madrid?

So anyway it's down to either Vincci Hotel Soho or Centrum, though Soho seems like Plan A. We'll be spending most of the day out anyway! Thank you so much for the suggestions! Now I just hope the visa thing works out!!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 09:38 AM

I would just keep checking their websites for those two choices for deals and even call re honeymoon offers...they may just add a little something ..

Uh ...wait what visa thing?
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM

I also would recommend you not stay in the Lavapies area given the criteria. I don't know the hotels you asked about, but I stayed at the 4* Hotel Intur Palacio San Martin and just loved it. It was a beautiful hotel and in a very convenient location right near a metro stop, the Gran Via, and much closer to Plaza Mayor etc than right next to the Opera. It's not that far from the Opera, but I think a more convenient location for various things and restaurants, etc. It was not very expensive at all for the level of room and hotel, I thought, although it was a couple years ago. But I went during a peak period and have seen they give a lot of good rates. The room I had was huge and very quiet because the hotel isn't right near a real noisy area but also it has a unique setup where some rooms mainly look onto an inner courtyard area which is quite nice (and quiet).
http://www.hotelpalaciosanmartin.es/
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Amsdon - We're from the Philippines so we still need a visa to get in Europe, unfortunately. So plans aren't cast in stone until we get one!

Christina - thank you for the suggestion! Did you stay in a double room or junior suite? Was it easy to just walk over the museums and all?
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 08:53 AM

I was alone, so it was just a regular double room. There is one "museum" practically right out in front actually, a monastery/convent http://www.sacred-destinations.com/s...scalzas-reales

But the Opera area and this hotel, which is a little bit east of it, are not real close to the main museums if you mean the Pradio and Sofia Reina, etc. You could walk to them, it wouldn't be impossible, you can maybe look at a map and see, it's all the way across the city. You can easily walk to the Opera or the Palacio Real, but I took the metro a lot of places, including to the museums.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 08:58 AM

not really "all the way across the city".. my goodness. I would call the financial area or opposite end of the Casetellana all the way across the city.

It is across the main shopping busy area of the city, down to the castellana/atocha area. Have walked it all many times. Nice area. Nice hotel.And fabulous monastery/convent nearby as mentioned.

Plenty of buses to take you up and down to the museum triangle if you don't want to stroll.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 10:28 PM

Funny LIN,

I guess it depends on how much walking one is used to doing. For me (living in California) the walking distance the area in question near Opera/or the hotel Inturpalacio St Martin to the Prado/Museum triangle is "kind of far"...(at least to walk on several days) Some of my friends think the distance it is fine and they walk alot more than I do. In general here we drive everywhere...even a few blocks..sad.

Cokes it is sounding like your preferred area is to stay closer to the museum traiangle? Also are you fairly young and trendy in your taste in hotels? Or do you like the traditional older styles?

Have you been reading Scrunchy's report?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information