Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel plaka or Electra Palace or Magna Grecia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-plaka-or-electra-palace-or-magna-grecia-684675/)

Schentravel Mar 3rd, 2007 07:56 PM

Hotel plaka or Electra Palace or Magna Grecia

We are contemplating staying at one of these 3 hotels in mid April. Can anyone tell me if any of these hotels will have their roof top garden open in mid April? Any comparison of these three hotels would be appreciated. We are interested in a hotel in the Plaka area. We would like a room with a veiw of the acropolis and would like to have a roof top garedn where we can have a glass of wine at the end of the day and be able to see the acropolis

Eleni Mar 3rd, 2007 10:21 PM

On the gardens, probably, but if you want absolute confirmation, you should e-mail the hotel.

Electra Palace is an upscale hotel in the middle of Plaka. We liked staying there, and would again. We had a room with an Acropolis View. It is pricy, but very comfortable. Also, it is in a very nice location.

I would not stay at the Magna Grecia because we had reservations there and when we showed up first they told us to come back in a couple hours because it was too early to check in and then they told us that a pipe broke and the resulting water damage would require them to shunt us off to a lesser quality hotel three blocks away, with nasty rooms and no views. (This was a lie, as we discovered when we talked to another hotel employee -- they were just overbooked.) Others have reported similar problems. There are other, more reliable, hotels in Athens.

I haven't stayed at the Hotel Plaka, but have walked by it many times. It is very conveniently located. A friend of mine stayed there a couple years ago and her room did have an Acropolis view, which she appreciated. She did complain about the hotel being noisy, but I can't exactly remember what the precise problem was.

Another possibility for you might be the Adrian Hotel, but only if you can get a room with an Acropolis View. It is right in the middle of Plaka, but the view rooms are very quiet. Breakfast when we were there was served in the roof garden, which has that great view.

pbing Mar 5th, 2007 06:58 AM

Well, you asked for personal experiences, we had a wonderful experience at the Magna Grecia last summer when we stayed there for four nights. It had great service and very clean rooms and a good breakfast. And a really great location near the Plaka. We mostly had communications with Stelios, I beleive that he is the owner's son and speaks very good English. They do have a very nice roof garden that was open whenever we wanted to go up. There is not a bar however. Like Elena said you should contact the hotels regarding the rooftops being open in April.

katiecat Mar 5th, 2007 08:59 AM

Hi - I stayed at the Hotel Plaka in early October and was very pleased with it. The location is great and the rooms, while quite small, were clean and comfortable. The view of the Acropolis from the window was just gorgeous, especially at night. It's not a luxury hotel, but we got a very good rate there, with breakfast included, and were overall very pleased with the hotel. I can't remember having any noise problems. We were there in mid-October (and it was quite chilly) and the roof garden and bar were still open, so I would imagine that it would be open in April (although I don't know for sure). We did exactly what you mentioned - went up and had a glass of wine at the end of the day while gazing at the Acropolis. It was a wonderful way to end the day.

el344 Mar 5th, 2007 10:49 AM

The roof garden was open at the Hotel Plaka when we stayed there in March several years ago. Unfortunately, so were the windows in our room because it was quite hot and the hotel does not turn on the air conditioning until June regardless of temperature. We were on the street side so it was quite noisy with the windows open.

Aside from that the hotel was quite pleasant. And the view from the roof garden was lovely.

Schentravel Mar 5th, 2007 11:47 AM

Thank you all for relating your personal experiences.