Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ?? Hotel Plaka, Athens ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-plaka-athens-287300/)

enerserve Feb 11th, 2003 06:16 AM

?? Hotel Plaka, Athens ??

Hotel Plaka,<BR><BR>Both Fodors and Frommers mention Hotel Plaka as a good choice for experiencing Athens, the Acropolis and the energy found in Plaka and a good value. <BR><BR>Has anyone stayed there? Would there be another choice in the EUR 100 range that offers the same? <BR><BR>I have heard good things about the Herodion Hotel but Makriyanni seems removed from the action North of the Acropolis. <BR><BR>Personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Carolina Feb 11th, 2003 04:38 PM

The hotel Plaka is in a wonderful location. Looks nice enough from the outside. Really though, you choose this hotel for the location.

KayF Feb 11th, 2003 05:29 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Plaka about 4 years ago. The location is terrific, lots of places to eat close by, the Plaka area is historic and picturesque (and full of tourists and shops selling touristy stuff). Our room was pretty basic but adequate. Breakfast was a buffet on the 1st floor, nothing lavish but again, adequate, no hot food that I remember, cereals, bread, coffee etc. <BR>Kay

April Feb 11th, 2003 06:56 PM

I'd be inclined to call the Plaka a barely adequate choice. My husband and I thought it was a bit of a dump. I heard it had been renovated since, which may help, especially if they worked on the attitudes of some their staff as well. The night clerk when we were there was a gem, but the day clerks were lazy, blas&eacute; or more interested in hanging out with friends. One tried to say we didn't have a reservation and he wasn't going to bother finding it until I produced the written confirmation. <BR><BR>But, yes, the location is good. We had a view of the Parthenon from our window. It wasn't too far to walk to Syntagma Square, the National Garden, Omonia Square, Monastiraki market, Anafiotika with its white Cycladic buildings, the post office, Neon cafe (handy for snacks, coffee and use of a clean washroom) or one of the many restaurants on the hillside. We walked from there to the top of the Acropolis and back. The lower hillside is an interesting area to explore even at nighttime for the views below, ruins all over and just the relaxing atmosphere. The serenely still guard dogs behind the fence along the old and slippery Acropolis road added a touch of spookiness, but day or night we never felt unsafe in the Plaka area.

enerserve Feb 13th, 2003 06:04 AM

Thank you everyone for your input and responses

KathyNZ Feb 13th, 2003 09:42 PM

I'm finding all these posts about hotels in Athens to be most interesting, have yet to read one that said any hotel there was attractive and reasonably priced. In october I enjoyed the Arethusa but it still wasn't cheap and very 70's. Then I tried the Nefeli hotel, okay but grumpy owner, I asked to borrow an iron and he said, don't burn the place down....the plumbing leaked too.<BR>Then I took a look at the Tempi, recommended by Lonely Planet, it was the nearest thing to what I would assume a prison cell to be like, concrete floor, concrete tub with cold water only, tiny wooden bed, come to think of it, maybe something like you'd see in a WW2 POW movie. <BR>I want to return to Athens and am totally confused now re hotels.<BR>If the Plaka costs 100 euros, I would say that's a rip off as there have not been that many good reports about it.<BR>I still think the Arethusa is the best in it's range and great location.

RichardBloomfield Feb 14th, 2003 11:14 AM

KathyNZ<BR>Although I have not personally stayed in the Attalos Hotel, my brother and his wife have, and they simply rave about this 'C' class hotel. It is located at 29 Athinas Street, Monastriaki. Phone: +30 21 03212801. Fax: +30 21 03243124. If I remember correctly they paid something like ?70 for a double room with breakfast. I believe that you can get a cheaper rate without the breakfast. If you do a seach for this hotel I think you will find nothing but good reports. Website: www.attalos.gr. <BR>BTW I too live in New Zealand.

RichardBloomfield Feb 14th, 2003 11:20 AM

KathyNZ.<BR>Sorry I don't know how the ? got there but it was 70 Euros per room per night.<BR>When wife and I are in Athens in April 2004 we will be staying at the Attalos.

Chicago_Heather Feb 14th, 2003 11:54 AM

Stayed there in late September of last year. April, not sure when you were there, but my room, the lobby, and the rooftop area (with small bar) were immaculate. Also, the staff was very nice and helpful during my stay (4 nights). Good location, too.

yipper Feb 14th, 2003 03:55 PM

Hi,<BR><BR>We stayed at the Hera two years ago. It has AC, a rood top deck with fabulous view of the Parthaneon. I think it was around $100 with breakfast. Some rooms have balconies.It is right on the boundary of the Plaka. It was fine. Try a google search.

df Feb 14th, 2003 05:05 PM

Another vote for the Attalos. Stayed there three times two years ago. Since we requested a quad, we got a different set of rooms each time. All were basic and clean. The buffet breakfast was better than average, and the staff let us in early twice for early departures. Best of all, they probably have the best view of the Acropolis from their rooftop. We ended each evening there.

Monalisa Feb 14th, 2003 05:38 PM

Another vote for the Attalos. In 2000 I stayed there and the Plaka Hotel. The Plaka hotel was decent and definitely had a great location, but the Attalos was by far a nicer tourist class hotel, cheaper, and only 5 minutes away from the Plaka area.