Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Parlamento, Rome: What do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rome-o-philes:

I've been researching Rome hotels for over a year. Only a few days ago, I came across Hotel Parlamento on an older thread. I began looking into it, found consistently good reviews, and was surprised I'd never tripped over it before. It's about midway between Sp Steps and the Pantheon. I emailed them asking for a quote.

They've now replied. For 4 nights in January:

double room facing the roof garden
tax, service and breakfast incl
95 EURO per night

That's incredible even if it IS off season. It's at least 40 euro less than any other hotel I was considering! (Teatro di Pompeo, San Carlo and Mascagni).

I think I'm going to jump on it. Is it too good to be true???

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 07:01 AM

I have also read rave reviews on Parlamento, even e-mailed them once and the quote was nowhere near 95 Euros. Hotels in Rome do run very good deals during off season, and if you are staying 4 nights, that may had made a big difference. Take it, if dissapointed, have an extra scoop of gelato!! Enjoy Rome!
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

It sounds awfully good, doesn't it?

I've written to confirm they can offer twin beds. If so, I'll take it.

(Gelato? With the money we're saving we can splurge on a really nice dinner!)
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:03 AM

super hotel, super location. I stayed there last November, 98 E for a double room, and it opened onto the rooftop terrace. Room 106 I believe. The one next door does as well. the terrace is for all hotel guests but it's still nice to have a door from your own room.

there are American outlets in the bathroom along with Italian so if you have a hairdryer, cell phone, or digicam, good place to charge up.

bear in mind I didn't like the hairdryer - it's built into the wall and it's one of those old-fangled ones... long hose with a stream of weak air coming out of it... turns on when you disengage the hose, turns off when you put it back in its cradle. if you have traveled a bit in Europe you know exactly what I mean, I've seen this in various hotels.

walk out the door and shop shop shop. it's right off a main shopping drag, as well as several attractions as you have noted. The Trevi Fountain is a close walk, and even the wedding cake isn't far. I walked from St. Peter's one day, back, via the Colosseum, the river, and a few shopping streets too.. quite a walk but great on a mild day. (I'd rather do it when it's cool than mid summer for sure!)
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Flygirl:
Thanks for the informative reply. Yes, I know the hair dryer you're describing...it looks like a mini vacuum cleaner. I have short hair so they've never been a problem for me.

You've made up my mind. I'll book it today. (I love this part of the planning...when hotel is chosen and I can start concentrating on things I want to see!)

PS: What is the "wedding cake"?...a tongue in cheek reference to the Sp Steps?
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Oh, one more thing.
I'm wondering about using the metro upon arrival if the weather is good.

Looking at the map, it appears the Pza di Spagna stop is pretty close (or Barberini?). Would it be a comfortable walk with a suitcase?
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Hi,

Here is the Wedding Cake at night:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles...9/photo49.html

I thought I had a daytime picture in there but I guess I don't. You will pass it when you walk to the Colosseum.

We didn't take the metro once. Taxis or walking. I don't know how large your suitcase is, but the walk from the Spanish Steps to the hotel isn't bad - I'd say 4 blocks or so if memory serves. One suitcase may not be too bad, more than that could pose a challenge especially with all the shoppers out and about.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:07 AM

Hi JeanneB

Go for it. We stayed there last year in one of the rooftop rooms. It is a great hotel, good location - very pleasant staff and the breakfast is quite good.

We often had our breakfast served on the outdoor terrace - lovely.

It's a little difficult to spot the hotel as you approach - no large sign or anything like it. The entrance (when we were there) was through a courtyard that was under construction but other than that it is a real find. You got a great price.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I think it's quite a find!

The terrace was particularly intriguing. I'm going with another lady with whom I've been friends since high school. We've travelled to Europe before and the time change affects us differently the first few days...I wake up very early, she sleeps all morning! So if the weather is cooperative, I can use the terrace to have my coffee and begin planning the day. Being near the room, not hanging around the lobby. Perfect!

I'm still amazed that I hadn't come across this hotel before now. I'd bet I've looked at more than 100 hotels in the last year, especially in that district. Somehow it never came up. But now I'm very happy it did.

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:40 AM

there is another one right around the corner with similar prices. Not sure about a rooftop terrace and all, but in a pinch it's also central and cheap. didn't seem as cheery to me though (we peeked in).

ask for rooms 104 or 106. those definitely are on the terrace.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

They confirmed room 104, 106 or 107.

This feels sooooooo good! Rome was the real hurdle. Florence, Venice and Paris are cakewalks by comparison. & Venice I'm waiting for the "real" winter rates to be posted, probably in December.

Thanks everyone for the input. Very reassuring. Grazzie!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:34 PM

106 also had an outside window. 104 would have the door, and, that is it.

i.e. it goes:

hallway. next to hallway - room 104 (door onto terrace). next to room 104 - room 106 (door onto terrace, and, window on outside wall).

however ask them - I wonder if room 104 had a bigger (double) door. I'd have to look at my pictures, I don't remember now. maybe it was just a regular door.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Now you're really getting me confused! LOL! (That wasn't very clear)

They said they can't assign a particular room until the day of arrival...which I can understand. If someone is paying more than my meager rate, I'm sure they'll get the better room.

But, hey, I'm not complaining. I wanted
terrace access and I got it...so I'm happy.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Stayed @ the Parlamento 5 years ago. Had a great visit, location is great. I wouldn't walk from the train station w/ luggage, it is not that easy w maneuvering cobblestone streets etc. I was there last month (need to get my trip report up) & from termini we paid only 13 eur. to get a taxi to Trastevere - imagine it would be cheaper to Parlamento. Only reason I didn't stay @ Parlamento again is that they were fully booked!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Can you post the website for the Hotel Parlamento?

Thank you!

Erika
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM

http://www.hotelparlamento.it/
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Oh, one thing about the Hotel Parlamento you should know. I just made a reservation for next summer. We were told to send a cashier's check for the amount of the 1st night's stay as a deposit, 5 months prior to arrival. If we cancel after the cashier's check is mailed, the 1st night's deposit is forfeited.

That's the one negative on this hotel I found.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

cawhite:

That's odd. I just made our reservation today and there certainly wasn't any mention of a cashiers ck. I gave them my credit card number (broke it up in 2 emails from different servers). There will be no charge until we check out....but you're right that there's a one night charge in case of cancellation or no show.

I wonder why you were told to send a cashiers ck...no way I would do THAT!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:29 PM

they asked me for a credit card but never charged it.

I can see why they do this though, especially in summer. if they don't, someone could use that as their "second choice" and then not show up... just having the policy, even if they don't use it, makes you think and separates the ones who are serious from those who are not.

they are already cheap, they shouldn't be forced to go empty bc someone double booked their hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -