Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Parc Saint-Severin in Paris (Review)

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Mark

Recently got back from our honeymoon where we stayed in the penthouse room (No. 70) at the Parc Saint-Severin. Overall, thumbs up! My review is as follows. Sorry for the length, but several people seem to be interested in this hotel, so I thought I would try to cover all bases - giving both pros and cons.

LOCATION - Hotel is located in the Latin Quarter. Very close to many attractions (the Seine, the Ille de la Cite (Notre Dame, etc.), Ille St.-Louis, etc). Drawback is is very crowded and touristy. Although crowded, the neighborhood didn't seem dangerous at all to us. We did get some noise from the street when the windows were open, but the windows are very sound-proof, so not much noise at all with them closed. Hotel is close to Metro and RER stops.

HOTEL DECOR - very modern, kind of a 1950's retro look. Lots of oranges and yellows. Decor was not quite as charming as we had hoped, but the look works well for the hotel.

ROOM - It's kind of a stretch to call it a suite, but the room was VERY large - especially by Parisian standards. We had plenty of room and a separate little sitting area. Room was painted a light yellow and had modern furnishings. Bathroom was large enough - it had a double sink and a shower/tub combo.

VIEW - No. 70 has a wrap-around balcony with awesome views on three sides. Great views of the the cathedral of Saint-Severin, the Eiffel Tower, spires of Notre Dame, university buildings, and Sacre Coeur in the distance. Balcony had two seating areas and the hotel would serve breakfast in the room. Only drawback to the views was many aerial television antennas on the nearby buildings. Apparently, cable TV is not a big player in Paris. Kind of odd to see all those historic buildings with 10' antennas attached. Still though, the views were breathtaking, esp. at sunrise or sunset. To me the views alone were worth the extra expense.

COST: Penthouse room is expensive for that area - about 260 Euros per night. In my opinion, it's worth it only if you have time to take advantage of the balcony and the views. If you are the type to be constantly on the go and just go back to the hotel to sleep, I would say don't spend the extra money. But if you have time to relax on the balcony and really soak in the views, I think it's money well spent.

Booking was easy, we just e-mailed the hotel directly: [email protected]. Staff was friendly and helpful - especially Beatrice at the front desk. Anyway, that's about all I can think of. No complaints, we really enjoyed our stay there and would definitely stay again. Sorry for the length of this post. Hope this info helps.

Apr 9th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Patrick

Thanks for the report Mark. Since we have room 70 booked for a full week in September I was also a little concerned with the price for the area. But since it is our last week of a three month European trip, I suspect we will be winding down and using the balcony a lot, so that was the main idea in staying there. Hope we don't end up with rainy or terrible weather so we can't benefit from it.

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Christina

Nice report, Mark, it was generous of you to take the time to do it. That was a little more expensive than I had thought it was (260 euros) but I know hotel rates are going up in St-Germain and the nicer parts of Paris, so what can you expect, I guess. The views do sound nice for a drink at the end of the day or breakfast in the morning -- that would be awful if it rained the whole stay! You write very well BTW, a lot of men don't notice style and colors very well--I have yet to find a man who knows what chartreuse or magenta mean (that's a test of mine LOL). Belated congratulations on your wedding.

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Mark

Thanks Christina. I will admit I did have a little help from my wife in describing the decor. She described the decor as "modern", but not "post-modern" (which is apparently a different thing). I think we would have liked more of an old-world, antique feel, but the modern decor was not bad.

The cost was pretty expensive for the neighborhood. But we decided to splurge for the view. I think regular rooms at the Parc Saint-Severin are more reasonable. For us, though, the balcony was worth the extra expense.

All in all, we were pleased with the hotel and with our Paris experience. We look forward to going back to Paris someday.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Louis

Thank you Mark. People like you do a great service to this forum. The Hotel Parc Saint-Serverin has an interesting location in the middle of a very noisy tourist location. We have not stayed in this exact area and had reservation in May in the upper rooms as the roof was not available. We had to cancel and look for a place in June a peak month for tourists. Of course the hotel had nothing and also many others that might be desired. We finally reserved a suite in a location that we have never spent much time. It will be interesting as Paris is really a city to be lived in to be truly enjoyed. There are not many cities in the world like it for just plain living. However as they say in real estate, location, location and location. That depends on what you are searching for. In Paris everything is near.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Louis

To Mark: If you want to contact us directly, we will be happy to sent you our reactions from Paris in June. You were on your honeymoon and we have passed 50 years and we both wanted to spend time in the same room. Interesting.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:19 PM
mimi taylor

thank you Mark. I was very curious to hear about this hotel as it was the first hotel I booked years ago when it was famous for the "noonies"
No, I only slept there.

Apr 10th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Patrick

This hotel becomes more intriquing by the moment!!