Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel: Palazzo Piccolomini or Corso in Orvieto?

Jan 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

We are planning our trip to Tuscany in April. We will be traveling by train, not by car. One of our nights will be spent in Orvieto, and two hotels have responded to our emails (Hotel Duomo does not have room that night). Which hotel should we reserve with: Palazzo Piccolomini or Corso? Can you tell us location advantages, room advantages, or breakfast advantages? Any shred of past experience with either would be welcome.

With appreciation,
Charles
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Traveling by train, you'll be walking from the funicular. The Corso is about a 5 minute walk from there, one of the first (the first?) hotel you'll pass as you're heading into the centro area. Couldn't be more convenient. Breakfast was fine - nothing real elaborate, but all the usual plus cakes, breads, etc.
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:53 PM

We stayed at the Piccolomini which got a lot of good recommendations on sites I checked. I was not overwhelmed. Plus it was quite a walk to the center . I'd check out the Corso for further info. sounds more convenient.
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Holly and Grandma. We have traveled to Italy twice before, and my wife and I feel it is one country, no matter how very, very much we love the people, where the accomodation ratings can be relied upon. Experience is all!

Can either of you tell me where you ate, by the way, when you were in town?
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM

Don't know the other place, but we stayed at Corso, and the location was good. Room and service were nothing special, but nothing particular to complain about either.
Highly recommend the Etruscan for dinner. Actually, we ate lunch there and loved it so much that we went back for dinner.
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:15 PM

In addition to my note above, have you tried "tripadvisor.com"? They give a lot of consumer feedback on specific hotels. Just enter the city you're going to, and you'll get a list of hotels by popularity ratings, along with specific things people have written. I've found it VERY useful. Not all hotels have any entries, but a high percentage do.
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Dear Rexmor: Thank you so much for the restaurant suggestion and the description of your experience.

As to Trip Advisor, my wife and I are very, very attached to that site. We have been busy sifting through the various comments, and we are totally unsure as to which hotel to choose. We had rather hoped we could find someone here who had stayed at both.

Ah well...and the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist either.

We do know that we are relieved we were shut out of the Hotel Duomo. Apparently, according to the Trip Advisor forum, they practice Dynamic Conversion. It has been most distressing to us to find that practice. It causes such an awkward moment between the proprietor and customer.
Jan 17th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Hi Charles,

We stayed at Palazzo Piccolomini 5 years ago. We were very happy with it. We were driving, parked in the car park at that end of town and they came and picked us up with our light luggage. If we had known about the underground escalators going from the car park, we could have just taken those. They come out right at the hotel.

We liked the location, the breakfast, the rooms were just fine. It's an actual Palazzo.

If you are coming in from the funicular end of town from the train station, I remember there is a town shuttle bus.

We ate a two very excellent restaurants, but sorry I don't remember the names!

Buon viaggio!
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Dear Posters: I thank you for your replies, and I appreciate the past input. We are certainly trying to make the most of all of your experiences, even though we seem to be no further ahead in the process.

I spoke too soon in my prior post on this thread. I assumed the Hotel Duomo had no room; instead, they were closed this past week and only now have replied about their availability.

Mrs. Charles and I have been scouting all posts on TripAdvisor and here to see which of the three hotels would best meet our needs without a car.

Hotel Corso is the closest. Hotel Duomo, although receiving some high marks, has practiced DCC and we don't know if we feel up to jumpstarting our trip with an argument at the desk. The Palazzo Piccomomini seems nice, but it is the furthest from the funicular.

Indecision, indecision. Perhaps knowing this hotel is the beginning of the trip is part of the problem.
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Hello Charleslll: We too are trying to make a similar decision for June ( either the Corso or Duomo - I tried and tried and never received a response from Piccolomini ). From the various sites I've researched I have found that Hotel Duomo receives higher marks for quality of the rooms, service and location of the hotel. Neither seems to score high marks in the breakfast category. I also read about the "Dynamic Conversion" and I need to read more about this. I was under the impression, however, that as long as we are aware of this potential practice, one is able to thwart the attempt. Obviously, I don't know the exact tact to employ just yet not knowing enough about the practice/"scam" (?). I, like you however, do not want to have to begin our trip on a sour note. At this point tho - I think I'm running with Hotel Duomo.
I am going to post for restaurant recommendations separately. Hope you have a great trip!! Let us know which hotel you ultimately visit.
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Dear Ljyoung: It took us four or five days to hear back from Palazzo Piccolomini, so you may yet hear from them.

Your take on the situation seems to be the same as ours. We,too, are leaning towards the Hotel Duomo on terms of both location and quality, but the handling the DCC situation bothers us.

It is not always easy to handle a business that is intent on using this system. From our visits to Ireland, where this practice is rampant, we have found that in most situations, the staff has either been coached to say or has been misinformed that they "cannot charge this another way." Sometimes one can convince them to do otherwise. Many times, it is an ugly situation.

I must admit I lost my temper at one hotel on our last Ireland vacation. When I heard the line "I'm sorry, sir, but there's no other way to charge you; it does it automatically," I began a lecture of what the terms "to steal" and "fraud" mean. The young woman behind the desk burst into tears,and Mrs. Charles told me I must not frighten staff any more.

To prevent such awkwardness (and to stay married to Mrs. Charles), I started to pay for almost everything in cash. It was inconvenient, and I must admit, I am still resentful.

The problem with handling such a situation in Italy is that I don't have the language skills to protest.

We shall keep you informed, Ljyoung, what we decide.
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Your choice of a hotel in Orvieto could also depend on how much luggage you will have. We will also be in Orvieto in April and after looking at a map Hotel Corso seems to have the best location for wheeling your luggage along the cobbled streets. Our trip will be entirely by train and we will pack light but I just can't imagine dealing with the luggage for any distance. We booked the Corso and are hoping for a quiet room that is clean and has good beds.
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Hi CharlesIII and nini. You're right nini about the luggage. We will have a car so I feel we have a bit more flexibility in that department. Let us know how you like the Corso.