Reload this Page >

Hotel Orta--How's the Food???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 03:39 PM
Maggie

Many of you have recommended Lake Orta in the Italian lake region and also the Hotel Orta. We would like to stay there but they are requiring half pension--which I assume means breakfast and dinner. We like to seek out our own dinner places but based on all the recommendations would really like to stay at the Orta. So my question---have any of you eaten there and how was the food? We are also considering the Santa Caterina Hotel. Anyone stayed there? As always, thanks for any help!!

Old Apr 15th, 1999, 05:07 AM
John

Bringing this back up as I am also curious about the answer. Thanks

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 04:09 PM
Karen McManus

My husband & I just returned from Orta a few days ago. We ate at Leon D'Ora across the square from Hotel Ota. DON'T eat there. The airplane food was better and they tried twice to take us on the bill by overcharging us. You might be better off on the "tourist menu" elsewhere because all or most of the restaurants have a cover charge and 12% tax like Venice. There were a few small places on the side streets that looked ok but I really don't know for sure. Good luck!

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 04:41 PM
Maggie

Karen, Thanks for the advice--sounds like a definite place to avoid. How did you like the Orta other than your bad dining experiences????? We leave on Friday and Orta is our first stop--would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks, Maggie

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 02:17 PM
Karen

Maggie- Orta was our last stop after visiting Maggiore, Como, Garda, and Venice. We chose it to be near the airport but actually Stresa on Maggiore would be just as close. At Orta, we stayed at Hotel La Bussola just as your enter the village from the main road. It sits on a hill and overlooks the island. The hostess was very gracious and helpful. They have a diningroom so you could always take your chances there. Are you renting a car? I could suggest an adventurous ride if you are. There are also some nice walks around the village on provided paths. Orta San Giulio is quieter at night after the tour buses leave and smaller than the other lake side towns. Where alse are you going on your trip and how many days? Karen

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 04:52 PM
Maggie

Karen, we're doing sort of the opposite of your route. Two night at Orta, One at Menaggio where we're staying on Isla Pescatori, then two nights in Bellagio and two or three at Garda. Then we're heading a little more south and will eventually get to San Gimignano. <BR> <BR>We will have a car and would love the "adventurous ride " recommendation and any other ideas you may have. We don't have any particular plans for Lake Garda---any ideas. Many thanks.

Old Apr 26th, 1999, 05:41 PM
Karen

At the crossroad from the highway to Orta San Giulio (there is a very decorated hotel on the corner)take the road across the highway heading up the hill . Follow the brown signs to Mottarone which is a ski area. It's all switchback roads but they are excellent and you will go thru some very small towns on the way. The view is incredible. You can see Lake Orta , Lake Maggiore, and Lake Varese I think. You can then continue down to Stresa on Lake Maggiore. At the peak, as of last week, there was quite a bit of snow on the ground. Also, there is another way to head to Maggiore from before the turns to Mattarone. Just follow the signs for Gignese and Stresa. The above mentioned roads are on the mountain between Orta and Maggiore. Don't miss Villa Carlotta in Menaggio. The grounds and flowering plants are just outstanding. We took the car ferry over to Bellagio. The one thing I can tell you of importance on Lake Garda is the road to Limone Sul Garda is the road is closed from the northern approach or in other words, coming down from Riva. We got to within 9 k. and had to turn around. Sirmione is absolutely mobbed on weekends. We stayed in Garda on the east shore on our way to Venice and after the fiasco trying to come down the west side ended up in Maderno at the Hotel Milano (3 star, very nice).The whole area near Gardonne Riviera and Salo is beautiful. Anywhere is probably great. I wish I were heading right back! Let me know how you do. Karen <BR>

Old May 17th, 2000, 05:19 PM
Al

Maggie, <BR> Hope you're checking occasionally. So how was Orta? Any comments about your food and adventuring experiences? I'm heading there 5-21.

Old May 17th, 2000, 06:22 PM
Maggie

Al, <BR>Like so many I do check in here regularly!!! We thoroughly enjoyed Orta. We did stay at the Hotel Orta. When I reserved they did not have a lake facing room but said if one became avaiable they would give it to us. Sure enough, when we checked in we had a smallish room but a fabulous lake view. We did have to take half board and so had dinner at the hotel two nights. The food was adequate---nothing to write home about but certainly not bad. the staff at the hotel were absolutely delightful. <BR> <BR>Orta was our first stop and it was perfect. Small, beautiful and friendly. The first morning we woke up early and the lake was absolutely like glass with the monastery reflected like a mirror image----breathtaking. Be sure to visit the religious/pilgramage site above the town ( can't think of the name)---great vistas and fascinating wood sculpture. I think you will really enjoy Orta. I would certainly go back.

Old May 18th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Al

Thanks Maggie. Any suggestions on restaurants in the area?

Old May 31st, 2000, 02:33 PM
Al

I'll update to the thread since I just returned. <BR>For a fantastic meal, I recommend Al Sorriso in Soriso, about 15 min SE of Orta. It is one of three 3 star restaurants in Italy. Absolutely wonderful. They also have a very expensive, small Relais & Chateau hotel on the same site. <BR>In Pallanza, a section of Verbania just north across Lake Maggiore from Stresa, is Il Torchio. They conveniently have English translations on the menu, but it does not appear to be a tourist restaurant. Excellent food and reasonable atmosphere. Pallanza also has a beautiful lakefront area (nicer than Stresa, I thought) for a romantic walk after dinner. <BR>I thought the dinners at Hotel Orta (where I stayed) were passable, but nothing remarkable. If you decide to stay there, negotiate out of the half-board, and instead go to Ristorante Olina (go during the week and get a table on the much more attractive first floor) or Rist. Venus on the piazza (nothing exceptional, but decent and a great location on the water and piazza). <BR>Agnona Tennis at the site of Agnona's factory and factory outlet spaccio had wonderful food, and bucolic setting looking out over the valley. <BR> <BR>By the way, fantastic cheese shop in Busto Arsizio just outside Malpensa has 350 kinds of cheese, all carefully chosen. <BR>Ciao.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the &quot;very decorated hotel&quot; Karen mentioned is Villa Crespi, it's more than worth the price of admission. Beautiful Moorish style building, delightful staff, and great restaurant. The food--let alone the attitude--were infinitely better than at the overrated and obscenely overprice al Sorriso. At the latter, we declined the tasting menus--too much food--and asked the owner to pick some dishes for us. Perhaps he was offended, because he proceeded to send us one winning course (porcini) and two losers--bland, boring bits of seafood (such as tiny shrimp at 10 Euros each!) and slices of meat--and then insisted we try some spoiled cheeses off an undistinguished cart. Plus a half bottle of essentially undrinkable local wine for 35 Euros.... For such mediocrity, he charged more than we paid more than we would have for the tasting menus. I thought the game of ripping off the innocent-looking (one of us is professional &quot;foodie&quot tourists had ended.