Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotel or hotels in Venice, near the airport?

Jul 29th, 2001, 05:09 PM
melva

I would like to know if there are any moderately priced hotels near airport in Venice?

Jul 29th, 2001, 05:24 PM
Surlok

The airport in Venice is Marco Polo, which is in the mainlaind, whereas Venice, itself, is an island. The closest town to the airport, I think, is Mestre, much chepear as far as hotels rates are concerned, and uglier than Venice. If you don't mind the lack of charm, and the train ride each time you want to get to Venice, Mestre would be your place to stay.

Surlok

Jul 30th, 2001, 05:52 AM
elaine

melva, you didn't ask for advice, but
I can't help but ask why you'd want to stay near the airport. If it's for an early-morning flight, the vaporettos start running before 6am from Venice, and you could also arrange in advance for a taxi.

Jul 30th, 2001, 06:43 AM
robin

Melva:

Saw on another discussion thread that you're a "newbie" to the travel talk forum.

And so, I'll wade in to second on Elaine's comments. Been to Venice once, and know that Elaine has a few more visits than I. You REALLY don't want to spend your final night in Venice on Mestre (on the mainland). Many visitors who have those early a.m. crack of dawn departures out of Marco Polo manage to get there on time via a water taxi or vaparetto.

Jul 30th, 2001, 08:29 AM
melva

my husband wanted me to ask about hotels near the airport. I need surgery on my left knee, and we are worried about the walking in Venice. I think it won't be a problem? I hope, it won't be a problem. I manage in Amsterdam, but stairs give me trouble. ????