Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Onda Verde, Almafi Coast (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-onda-verde-almafi-coast-290619/)

Dianne Feb 19th, 2003 07:05 PM

Hotel Onda Verde, Almafi Coast

Has anyone ever heard of this hotel or stayed there. It is between Amalfi and Positano.

Sher Feb 19th, 2003 07:19 PM

Dianne. If you put this hotel in the search box you will come up with at least 35 references with the hotel mentioned.<BR>That said, we rented an apartment very near to this hotel. We didn't stay there, but did walk past it to the beach and spoke to people on their balcony one night. Also, I was in the lobby, which looked lovely.<BR>Good luck.

Dianne Feb 19th, 2003 07:35 PM

Thanks, Sher. I did do a search but I must have spelled it wrong. I tried again and got lots of info. Did you see the Hotel Triton? Did you use Praino as a base to explore the area? We are deciding whether to base there or in Sorrento.

janelp Feb 19th, 2003 07:45 PM

Dianne, I just responded to you on another board but in case you don't see it there I will repeat it here. If you go to my website which has trip journals and photos, you will find a section on Onda Verde with photos. We really enjoyed it there and recommend it. There is a lot of other information in there also--on the Almafi Coast and Tuscany. Hope it helps. http://www.janeandken.com

Dianne Feb 19th, 2003 07:48 PM

Thanks, jane. You fodorites are amazing. If anyone wants info on costa rica, I can help with that!!!

az Feb 19th, 2003 09:32 PM

<BR> Dianne: Excerpt from my post of June, '01: If you like touristy, crowded places, w. lots of &quot;action&quot;, then stay in<BR> Positano. But if you want quiet quarters w. spectacular views, the Hotel Tritone<BR> near Praiano is the place to stay. We have been there twice; cancelled our trip<BR> to Sicily to return for a few more days just last week. EVERY room has a view<BR> to the west all the way to the Faraglioni (the 3 &quot;rocks&quot; for which Capri is<BR> famous), and on a clear day you can actually see the arch in the middle one<BR> from your room balcony. To the east is a magnificent vista of the village of<BR> Praiano, w. its twin steepled church in the center of your view and the ancient<BR> church on the horizon about half way up the mountain. Straight down about<BR> 1000 feet is the sea. You can watch the ship traffic in and out of Salerno from<BR> your balcony as well. <BR> The beach facilites are superb (although the beach itself is rocky, like all of <BR> them along the Amalfi Coast), and you walk through a long tunnel carved out of <BR> the rock to get there after a long elevator ride. There is a bar and a second<BR> swimming pool down at the beach as well. <BR> The breakfasts (which are included in the room rate) are sumptuous, including<BR> different pastries/cookies of the region every morning (including almond cookies<BR> and cannola), and you can get delicious omelets w. ham/cheese and apricot<BR> juice along w. the standard breakfast fare most hotels provide. They are served<BR> on an outdoor terrace w. to die for views. <BR> <BR> The hotel is literally carved into the side of the cliff below the road, so it is very<BR> quiet and very private, if that is what you want. You may even hear the &quot;cock of<BR> Praiano&quot; crowing in the sunrise if you leave the doors to your balcony open, and<BR> you can easily hear the church bells toll the quarter hours. It is the loveliest<BR> place I have ever stayed in decades of travel. <BR> The downside, if there is one, is that you really need a car to see the other<BR> sites along the Coast and inland if you stay there. The hotel does have<BR> adequate parking, however. <BR> The service is superb. <BR><BR>

az Feb 19th, 2003 09:37 PM

Dianne: another exerpt for you: We also checked out Hotel Onda Verde near Praiano since we had seen it<BR> mentioned several times on this forum. It is a great setting w. a very nice<BR> seaside walk. It appeared to be clean and well kept, and parking was no<BR> problem, but we did not actually stay there so I cannot comment on the quality<BR> of service/food. It is less expensive (L300,000) than Hotel Tritone (L400,00), but<BR> the views are not as sweeping it is much lower, nearer the water and some of<BR> the balconies don't offer much privacy.

Sher Feb 20th, 2003 05:12 AM

Dianne. Yes we did use Praiano as a base for our stay.<BR>I would have liked to stay in one of the very nice hotels, but I was pleased with our apartment and it was very reasonable.<BR>I am probably one of the few that was not enamored with Positano. I would never stay there. As az says, it is so touristy. But this is just my opinion.<BR>I think if I returned, I would give serious consideration to Sorrento. This is only because it is much easier to zip around the area using public transportation from there.<BR>If I had my heart set on staying again on the Amalfi coast itself, Praiano would be by pick again.<BR>This hotel is on the lower side of the highyway that runs through Praiano. The Tritone is on the upper side, much higher.<BR>Our apartment was on the same side as the Tritone, but only two stories above the road. We had nice views, but not the sweeping ones you get from the higher hotels.<BR>If you have any other question, drop me a line. [email protected]