Hotel Omm or Hotel Claris in Barcelona

Apr 27th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Omm or Hotel Claris in Barcelona

Trying to decide between the Hotel Omm and Hotel Claris in Barcelona. Both are approximately the same price (and a good price range for me). I am traveling with my 14 year old daughter who is into hip and cool. The Omm looks very modern- urban, but a bit sterile. Anyone stayed at either of these hotels? Advice?
Apr 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM

Based on Tripadvisor comments, I'd go with Omm, although I'm not personally familiar with either. Both are in the same area (which is very nice). You and your 14 year old will love Barcelona.
Apr 27th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MFNYC - any suggestions on restaurants, things to do other than the usual (Gaudi, Sagreda, etc)?
Apr 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM

First of all, print out Maribel's Barcelona Guide www.maribelsgudies.com. Lots of great advice in there.

Besides touring all the Gaudi, we really enjoyed the walking tours we took through the tourist Bureau in Plaza Catalunya. We did the Gothic area and Picasso tours. If we had more time, we would have done more tours. The Boqueria market is definitely worth visiting as well. We toured Palau de la Música Catalana, which is beautiful. You can check their website for performances as well.

Some of the restaurants we enjoyed:

Petra - Carrer de Sombrerers 13 (Borne, next to St. Maria del Mar -church). Found this by just wandering. Menus were labels on wine bottles. Chandelier's had silverware hanging from them. Very (Greenwich) village-y kind of place and good food.

Cerveceria Catalana - Carrer de Mallorca 236. Great tapas, hopping spot. The indoor wait on a friday evening was long (1.5 hrs), but outdoors it was only 1/2 hr. It was worth the wait, and while waiting you can order a drink and tapas, at the bar to get started. This is in the Eixampe area.

El Gran Cafe - Carrer de Avinyó, 9. We had a very nice dinner here, loved the Escalivada appetizer. This is the more typical looking place you see all over, but this one was particularly good.

Cafe Vienna - this is a sandwich chain which we ignored until the day we left, and we wanted something "to go" for the airport. See this article: http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/10/1...0viena&st=tcse I have to say it was an EXCELLENT sandwich (we ordered the one recommended in the NYT article). If we had caught wind of it sooner, we would definitely have eaten there more for lunch. Great if you want to pick up something to bring back to the hotel, picnic, etc. You can eat there too. They are all over town.
Apr 27th, 2011, 07:06 AM

Digging up my old notes....
7 Portes - big seafood brasserie down by the beach. It was good but not great. It's written up in many of the guide books.

Les Quartre Gats - don't eat here, but poke your head inside, or maybe just have a drink. Food is lousy but has history of Picasso hangout, etc. If you go on a Picasso tour, they'll definitely bring you here.

Senyor Parellada, adjacent to Banys Oriental hotel in Born area, C/ Argenteria, 35. This is more upscale than the others. Very civilized. More 'grown-up' than the funkier joints.

L'Oliva - Carrer Jovellanos 2 (around the corner from Hotel Inglaterra). Great 12E lunch menu, lots to choose from and a lot of food. Also supposed to be good for dinner. The street is easy to ignore (not particulaly interesting), but we just wandered down there because it was so near our hotel.
Apr 27th, 2011, 07:45 AM

I like both the Omm and Claris. The difference in the hotels is that the Claris is a 5-star Gran Lux property geared more toward the higher end business traveler. The standard rooms are probably a little larger than what you'll find at the Omm.

The Omm is a 5-star luxury boutique geared toward the younger crowd. It has a very active bar/restaurant scene on the ground floor, very popular with locals. It also has a night club, which means it has a lot of traffic when open (Wednesday-Saturday).
Apr 27th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Everyone - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Great suggestions. I'm really excited about the Petra restaurant - my teenager will love it!!