Hotel Nesle or Hotel Marignan?

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 09:34 AM
Patricia

Hotel Nesle or Hotel Marignan?

I have heard of both of these budget hotels, but cannot find a place to view pictures of them. Does anyone know where I might be able to view (1 or both) of these hotels?
Anybody stayed there? Is it more like a hostel?

Many Thanks!
Patricia

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 07:25 AM
don

Have not stayed at either, but a friend stayed at hotel Nesle recently and she did not like it at all,( she is not fussy), for Hotel Marignan, you can see pictures at this website:
www.francehotelreservation.com/hotmarignan/

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 07:07 PM
Patricia

Thank you Don for the website. I will definitely check it out. I'm so glad there is a site...I was beginning to wonder...

Many thanks!
Patricia

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Margo Classe

I prefer the Nesle over the Marignan. It really depends on what YOU are looking for. Sorry, no pictures but perhaps this info will help you anyway:
NESLE: 7, rue Neslé. Tel: 0143546241. Fax: 0143543188. (20 rms., 9 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 285F/43EUR single; 475-575F/72-88EUR double. No breakfast. Visa. English spoken (David & Rene), no phone, no TV, wonderful eccentric charming hotel w/uniquely furnished no-frills bright tiled flr. rms. which vary in size, old-fashioned bathroom, rooms are individually decorated in unique historical themes, lots of character & ambiance, the 9 rms. w/bathrooms are: #13 (Molière French theatre decor w/double bed, nonworking fireplace & wood-beamed ceiling), 17 (Egyptian decor); #9 (Asian decor w/2 twin beds), 5 (African decor w/canopy double bed, large bathroom & wood-beamed ceiling), 20 (Grand South decor) & 4 (Antinia decor w/Turkish bath) are the largest at 575F for a double; #16, 12 & 8 (simply furnished small rms. w/French double bed) at 475F for double; #5 & 8 share a pretty terrace which overlooks the beautiful garden, the rms. with no showers/toilets are cheaper, noisy hotel, no elevator, 5 flrs. If you are a single, they may room you up with another traveler. No advanced reservations accepted unless you send a nonreturnable deposit or call day of arrival and reserve with Visa. This charming & funky hotel w/its eccentric owners is not for everyone, but I loved everything about it including the owners. Owned by Mme. Rene but managed by David who also decorated all the rms. Métro: Odéon.

MARIGNAN: 13, rue Sommerard. Tel: 0143546381. (30 rms., 12 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 475-555F/72-85EUR double; 610-670F/93-102EUR triple; 700-1040F/107-159EUR quad. Call for quint rates. Breakfast (8-10:30am) is included in the rates & cannot be deducted. Cash only. (They will accept a U.S. personal check as a deposit only.) Excellent English spoken (Elizabeth), no phone, no TV, basic pleasant hotel w/old-fashioned furnished basic no-frills large rms., high ceilings, #1 (double bed, 3 twin beds, large bathroom w/bathtub & faces street) is for a family; free basement laundry & ironing facilities, bring your own food to their dining room w/free limited kitchen access (cooker, microwave & fridge), the rms. with no showers/toilets are cheaper, read the rules next to the reception desk, no elevator, 6 flrs. Owned by Mr. Keniger and managed by Elizabeth. Métro: Maubert-Mutualité.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:47 PM
Christina

I believe both of these are one-star hotels and it is very rare for such hotels to be on a website. I don't know how accurate the above guidebook quote is (and it doesn't even list the official swtar rating, which I would want to know), but if those are correct rates (I've only seen rates at 350-450F), I would say the Hotel de Nesle is extremely overpriced at 500F for a small double for the quality of hotel--not to mention the hassle if you can't make a reservation. I've seen it from the outside, it's a narrow, 4-5 story older townhouse. I stay in a pretty nice 3-star hotel in a good quartier for not much more than that. The location of the Nesle is close to the Seine but is about 4-5 blocks from a metro stop, also, so I don't think that's so convenient myself. I think the one-star Hotel Delhy's nearby might be a better deal if you're going that route. In any case, I would never pay 500F for such a room (the Marignan is overpriced also, it appears). Here is a 3-star hotel on a nice street in Montparnasse (near where I usually stay), extremely convenient to several metro lines (within 1-2 blocks, cafes, etc, and its rates are about the same as the Hotel de Nesle's (which is why I think it's very overpriced). It's the Hotel Delambre, not overly "charming" (but charming and quaint is often highly overrated) but a good deal and comfortable--and they actually take reservations and have a lift, unlike the Hotel de Nesle. The Marignan looks like a hostel to me, I've seen the outside of it with people hanging out the windows and was not impressed. This is just one hotel I think is a much better deal than a 500F double without bathroom in a one-star hotel: www.hoteldelambre.com Oh, in any case, here are URLs of some photos of the Hotel de Nesle and comments: www.vex.net/!emily/paris/page1.html and ram.org/pictures/sights/eutrip/hotel_nesle.gif. You can get very good reviews of a good number of budget hotels (including Nesle and Delambre) on the Timeout Guide to Paris website (go to www.timeout.com, then Paris, the Accomodations, Budget) Here is also a listing of hostels and cheap hotels, but no photos: www.europeanhostels.com

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 03:50 PM
Patricia

Christina, thank you for the thorough information and the sites with the pictures.
I will check the timeout guide to Paris too.
I really appreciate your help. Thanks again,
Patricia