Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel/Neighborhood for 60-something parents

Sep 25th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Shasson

Hi, my 60-something parents are heading to Paris in early November for a long weekend en route to visit family in Sweden. They've been to Scandinavia twice, but never France, and speak little french. I was wondering which Parisian neighborhood would appeal to rather-adventuresome, not overly-mobile, American's on their first trip to Paris (but 3rd to Europe). There is a hotel in the 4th (hotel beaubourg) that is recommended on HotelBoulevard.com
Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sep 25th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Elizabeth

Shasson: I strongly sugggest you re-port this with "Paris" in the title.

Sep 25th, 2001, 04:46 PM
BTilke

I'm not too the 4th is the best place for your parents. There are a few quieter spots, but much of it is very crowded and over-touristed. I would suggest they pick a quieter part of the 6th (near the Luxembourg Gardens) or the 7th (the Ecole Militaire metro stop has an escalator--something my parents appreciated on their visits to Paris). I have seen the Marais change over the decades from a quiet backwater with a unique feel to one of the most overcrowded and overpriced parts of town. Parts of the area are still lovely--the Ile St. Louis, Place des Vosges, but much of it is just overdone.
Hotels in the 7th I think they'd like (you didn't give their budget) are Hotel du Cadran (welcoming, English speaking staff, nice fireplace in the salon, pretty neighborhood), Hotel Bourgogne and Montana (near the National Assembly) and in the 6th, there are several including the brand new Hotel Luxembourg Park, with is direct views of the Luxembourg Gardens.
BTilke (are your parents in Evanston, too?)

Sep 26th, 2001, 05:46 AM
oldster

Shasson.....As a "60-something" lady who, with my similarly-aged friend, spent a lovely week in Paris last March, let me recommend the Hotel DeWeha. It's not in the midst of all the touristy sights, but very conveniently located near a major metro & bus stop, the Gobelins tapestry factory, and a major shopping center. There are countless restaurants & bistros nearby (including a wonderful Vietnamese restaurant only steps from the hotel). The staff were very cordial and helpful. A more than adequate breakfast was included with our room rate. We enjoyed our stay there very much.

Sep 26th, 2001, 06:02 AM
sandy

I recommend the Hotel de L'Arcade.
www.hotel-arcade. It is near the Luvre and right in the middle of things so that they don't have to spend their valuable time in Paris riding the metro or other public transportation. The people at this hotel are really nice, They speak English and are very helpful to their guests. There's no restaurant, but there are many good places to eat within a short walk of the hotel.