Notices

Hotel near Venice airport

Old Feb 10th, 2000, 02:40 PM
Rhonda

Hotel near Venice airport

I've been told that I should stay in a hotel near the airport my last night in Venice in order to easily make my flight out the next morning. Would you agree? Any recommendation on one around $100 to $150?

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 03:10 AM
Paulo

Excuse me, Rhonda, but unless you've got a weird flight, I bet that whoever told you that, has never experienced the situation personally ... Checking out from one hotel to the other, most probably loosing one's last night in Venice, and having to get up early anyways, certainly doesn't pay. There are a number of ways you may get to the Airport directly from Venice early in the morning (from the most expensive to cheapest):

a) hiring a water taxi (expensive)
b) hiring a taxi in Piazzale Roma
c) taking the Alilaguna Airport boat at San Marco
d) taking the Airport bus in Piazzale Roma

The way to go to the airport is by boat, even if it takes longer than going by car/bus; after all, you're in Vencie Unless you have plenty to hire a water taxi, take the Alilaguna boat. It leaves from San Marco (if you're staying in Dorsoduro, you may also take it in Zattere-Traghetto, very near the Gesuiti church and it also stops at Arsenale and Lido). The first two boats out of San Marco are respectively at 4:50 and 6:00am, arriving at the airport at 6:00 and 7:10am. The one way fare from Venice to the Airport is Lit 17,000.
In case you decide for a taxi out of Piazzale Roma, ask the hotel to book one in advance.
The first bus (#5) out of Piazzale Roma is at 4:40am (except on Sundays), arriving at 5:05am. The 2nd one (also on Sundays) leaves at 5:40 and arrives at 6:05.
You should have no problems taking a vaporetto from a stop close to your hotel to either San Marco or Piazzale Roma that early in the morning. There are vaporetti through the Canal Grande that run in time for you to connect to tha Alilaguna boat or bus.

Paulo

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Debbie

Rhonda-we were in Venice last spring break and had a VERY early departure from the airport. I would highly recommend doing what we did. We stayed at a Best Western owned hotel across the street from the train station(yes folks,it was very nice!) and arranged to have the taxi take us to airport.We actually ended up staying at this place for three days while we did Venice as we decided to go up there from Florence at the last minute. They have an unbelievable breakfast buffet and we only had to cross the street to take train across the water to Venice proper.
It only took about 5 minutes to go over the water and the views of the islands were beautiful.It was a 4 star hotel,about 10-12 minutes to airport and hotel clerks very helpful. It is called the Hotel Bologna(Venezia-Mestre)
and the phone is 041 931000 or email [email protected]. Deal with hotel directly as I got a higher rate when I used tollfree from Florence.Any questions-email me at [email protected] Have fun and enjoy! Debbie

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 06:55 AM
ellie

We needed to catch an early flight out of Venice two years ago. A clerk at the American Express office suggested making a reservation with Serenissima water taxi. They have a well marked stand on the water adjacent to Piazza San Marco
(just across the bridge next to the Doges Palace). We booked a 5.15 am taxi. Because of the tides, we were told they could not get near to the apartment where we were staying at that hour (we were near Sta. Maria Formosa) but assured us that they would have a taxi ready for us at their main platform. Our trek through the dark streets - up and over bridges, through a totally deserted Piazza San Marco at 5.00 am was one of the highlights of our stay in Venice - a bit tricky with luggage, but worth it for a very dramatic and romantic lasting memory - the taxi driver was there as promised - keeping an eye out for us.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Rhonda

Wonderful feedback! I'll definitely spend my last night in Venice not worrying about getting to the airport on time. Thank you everyone!