Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel near MXP for last night before flight out the next morning (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-near-mxp-for-last-night-before-flight-out-the-next-morning-913703/)

john183 Dec 1st, 2011 11:16 AM

Hotel near MXP for last night before flight out the next morning

We are two couples looking for a hotel near MXP for the last night of our two week trip in May to Northern Italy before flying out the next morning. We will no doubt arrive fairly late in the afternoon or early evening and are just looking for something reasonable that has a reliable shuttle service. We will have a rental car and we would like to drop off the ladies and the luggage at the hotel first, then return the car at the airport and catch the shuttle back to the hotel. The First Hotel Malpensa looks like it might work for us (77 Euro per room senior citizen rate including breakfast and paid at time of checkout). Does anyone have any experience with this hotel or any others that you would recommend?

taconictraveler Dec 1st, 2011 11:47 AM

We stayed at the First Hotel a year ago June, at the end of our Italy trip. It had been suggested by long time contributor "Bob the Navigator."

In fact we stayed two nights, so we could take a day trip up to Lake Maggiore and Lake Orta.

We really enjoyed the hotel, even though it was slightly difficult to find. Once we found it, it was great. Very nice staff, good food (we even ate a meal there) It was a very good value all around. We had a nice adventure there, during which we met a charming Italian/Canadian businessman who helped us out a lot. So it was a much better than usual hotel experience, with the help of the staff and this other guest!

john183 Dec 1st, 2011 12:33 PM

taconictraveler - I just read through your "20 Matchless Days" reports and really enjoyed them. I was wondering what your nice adventure could have been and now I know - sounds like it worked out wonderfully. I read about the other hotels you visited near MXP but unless something really negative comes up, I think the First Hotel is going to be our choice. Thanks for your advice.

taconictraveler Dec 1st, 2011 12:45 PM

Thanks, John. One thing I liked about the First Hotel was that I did not feel as though we were in a tourist hotel. It seemed more like a business hotel, and I mean that in a good way. It felt more "real" if you know what I mean, and not isolated from everyday life.

Bob the Navigator says there is a very good restaurant right next door to the hotel. I hope he's reading, as he will remember the name. I think we did not go there, because that restaurant looked deserted at the time (early) that we were hungry!

bobthenavigator Dec 1st, 2011 03:30 PM

I forget the name but you cannot miss it---a trattoria literally the next building to the left as you face the hotel.
The senior male waiters are part of the charm. We have stayed twice at the hotel and eaten next door both times.

john183 Dec 1st, 2011 04:04 PM

Thanks Bob. The only bad news is I think it may be closed on Tuesday's (according to a post on Trip Advisor) and that is the night we will be staying there. Oh well, I think there's a good pizzeria close by or the hotel restaurant will be good.

And thanks again taconictraveler - I hope any "adventures" we have turn out as good as yours did.