Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel near Marco Polo airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-near-marco-polo-airport-1699021/)

2idocs Jul 29th, 2021 06:27 AM

Hotel near Marco Polo airport

Flying out of Venice & would like a hotel with easy access to the airport for catching our morning flight.
Do any offer a shuttle to the airport?

Arriving by train from Florence, so guessing it would be best to get off at the Mestre station.

bilboburgler Jul 29th, 2021 08:08 AM

So, the ways to the Airport.

Catch a water taxi (pricy but can be shared and lovely)
Catch a train to Mestre from Venice Piazalle Roma and a bus from outside the Mestre station.
Catch the bus from Venice Piazalle Roma
Catch a road taxi from either station

so it depends on your wealth and where you are staying that night.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Venice/...nezia-VE-Italy

Trophywife007 Jul 29th, 2021 01:27 PM

There's a Courtyard by Marriott near the airport -- haven't used it myself but had checked it out when considering an early morning flight. From their website:

Hotel direction: 0.6 miles NE
  • Airport shuttle service, reservation required, fee: 5 EUR (one way) Shuttle Phone: +39 041 5416567
  • Alternate transportation: .
  • Estimated taxi fare: 25 EUR (one way)
  • Bus service, fee: 8 EUR (one way)

kureiff Jul 29th, 2021 01:27 PM

We also had an early morning flight and stayed our last night at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport. They had a shuttle van.

Reading54 Jul 29th, 2021 01:35 PM

If you detrain at Mestre station, 3-min walk across the street is a "Best Western Plus Hotel Bologna" (on Via Piave 214). Their 279-sq-ft Superior Double room was very nice.

We stayed there for one night. The next morning we walked to the taxi stand in front of the Mestre station for a taxi to Marco Polo airport. The taxi fare was fixed at 35 Euro (2019 price) and the drive was about 20 minutes. Or if your flight is super early, ask your hotel to pre-book a taxi to pick you up.

Alternatively, several people have already mentioned that the "Courtyard by Marriott Venice Airport" offers shuttle.

2idocs Jul 29th, 2021 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by kureiff (Post 17267572)
We also had an early morning flight and stayed our last night at the Courtyard Marriott near the airport. They had a shuttle van.

Looks good & we booked it.

It looks like the airport is even walkable if the shuttle isn't running.

Wondering if the easiest route into Venice is just to go to the airport's ferry terminal.
How difficult is it to find someone to split a water taxi with? We'll have 4 adults.

Trophywife007 Jul 29th, 2021 04:38 PM

Here's a thread that may be informative. When we were interested in a water taxi I used the information in post #10 by Peter_S_Aus who is extremely knowledgeable on Venice. There's also information on the bus from Marco Polo to Piazzale Roma -- post #2 by Pepper v. S.

https://www.fodors.com/community/eur...r-bus-1043264/

annhig Jul 30th, 2021 04:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry, I'm a bit confused. As I understood your initial post, you were coming by train from Florence on the last day of your stay in Italy and flying out of Venice Marco Polo on the following morning. Thus your plan was to spend overnight in an airport hotel. Now you are talking about going into Venice? if you are wanting to do spend the afternoon and evening there, by far the fastest way to get there is by the ATVO bus which leaves from the front of the airport every 30 mins, at 20 mins past the hour and and 10 mins to. It takes about 20 mins and only stops at the Piazzale Rome where you can pick up a vaporetto [tickets and passes available from the office on the left just above the steps that go down to the vaporetto stops] Current timetable here:

Attachment 5665

2idocs Jul 30th, 2021 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by annhig (Post 17267735)
sorry, I'm a bit confused. As I understood your initial post, you were coming by train from Florence on the last day of your stay in Italy and flying out of Venice Marco Polo on the following morning. Thus your plan was to spend overnight in an airport hotel. Now you are talking about going into Venice? if you are wanting to do spend the afternoon and evening there, by far the fastest way to get there is by the ATVO bus which leaves from the front of the airport every 30 mins, at 20 mins past the hour and and 10 mins to. It takes about 20 mins and only stops at the Piazzale Rome where you can pick up a vaporetto [tickets and passes available from the office on the left just above the steps that go down to the vaporetto stops] Current timetable here:Attachment 5665

Yes, Arriving by train from Florence & hope to be checked in by noon.
Wanted an airport hotel to make the morning trip to the airport as short as possible.

We would like to take a quick trip into Venice for the afternoon and stay for dinner. So maybe a water taxi from the airport on the way into the city and the easiest/fastest option for out return to the hotel in the evening.
If we have 4 adults, is booking our own water taxi much more expensive than arranging a shared ride?

Trophywife007 Jul 30th, 2021 07:57 AM

I just did a dummy booking for a random date and it came out to 109 euro for 4 people, just to give you a ballpark figure.

annhig Jul 30th, 2021 10:50 AM

<<I just did a dummy booking for a random date and it came out to 109 euro for 4 people, just to give you a ballpark figure.>>

SFAIK that's the standard cost for a water taxi whether for 1 or 8 people. If you go to the water taxi desk in arrivals at the airport they will arrange the next available water taxi for you. Alternatively book one in advance with these people:

https://www.venicelink.com/en/private-transfer-venice

or with another book in advance service so that it will be waiting for you at the dock - reached by taking the escalator or lift to the upper floor of the airport and following the moving walkway to the dock which takes about 10 mins. You can also buy tickets for water taxis up there but you might have to wait for the next available one in that case.

I looked at a shared service but the only one i found wanted €27 pp which for 4 works out no different to having one for your exclusive use. Whether you take a shared or exclusive taxi, it would be worth while taking it as far as you are likely to want go eg Piazza San Marco and then walking back though Venice towards the Piazzale Roma where you can catch the ATVO bus back to the airport - approx €8 pp one way. The ATVO bus [usually white, and leaving from a stop on the far side of the Piazzale] is much better than the ACTV bus as there are no intermediate stops and there is a dedicated luggage area so it's quicker and you don't have to climb over everyone else's luggage.

2idocs Jul 30th, 2021 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by annhig (Post 17267881)
https://www.venicelink.com/en/private-transfer-venice
I looked at a shared service but the only one i found wanted €27 pp which for 4 works out no different to having one for your exclusive use. Whether you take a shared or exclusive taxi, it would be worth while taking it as far as you are likely to want go eg Piazza San Marco and then walking back though Venice towards the Piazzale Roma where you can catch the ATVO bus back to the airport - approx €8 pp one way. The ATVO bus [usually white, and leaving from a stop on the far side of the Piazzale] is much better than the ACTV bus as there are no intermediate stops and there is a dedicated luggage area so it's quicker and you don't have to climb over everyone else's luggage.

Sounds like the perfect game plan for us!
Thanks!

Always amazed the helpfulness of these forums!
The collective mind of thousands of seasoned travelers is a great resource!
Fodorites always seem to be willing to go that extra mile & not only answer your questions, but take it a step further, & add info you didn't even know you needed!

annhig Jul 31st, 2021 05:38 AM

Just paying it forward, 2idocs.