Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel near Malpensa (Milan) Airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-near-malpensa-milan-airport-779672/)

LisaG Apr 17th, 2009 12:15 PM

Hotel near Malpensa (Milan) Airport?

HI All,

We are in need of a recommendation for a hotel that is near (within 30-45 mins. of) Malpensa Airport. We'd like to stay 2 nights before our flight leaves. Best location would be one from where we can take easy public transport into Milan for the day. Price range less than 125 Euros.

I've been stumped looking on all my usual sites for info. (Karen Brown, TripAdvisor, and the Fodorites!).

Thanks in advance for your info.!

LisaG

valtor Apr 17th, 2009 12:32 PM

If you want to visit Milan, why not stay IN Milan? From Milan you can reach the airport by train (from Cadorna station) or by bus (from Milano Centrale station). Maximum travel time is 1 hour, I think.

Or, stay in Stresa. You can take from there the bus to airport, and the train to Milan.

remote Apr 17th, 2009 12:39 PM

Look at the Best Western Jet Hotel in Gallarate. You can get a train into Milan and Galllarte has some decent pizzerias and other restaurants. It is close to Malpensa. There are other hotels in Gallarate, also.

Therese Apr 17th, 2009 12:59 PM

Stay in Milan as valtor suggests. You can either stay near Cadorna station or near a subway station that will get you to Cadorna easily. I wouldn't stay near Centrale, as it's a bit seedy and the bus isn't near so nice as the Malpensa Express train that runs between Malpensa and Milan.

Therese Apr 17th, 2009 01:03 PM

Here's an actual hotel to suggest that may or may not (depending on the timing of your trip) meet your price point:

http://www.atahotels.it/struttura.as...ecutive&ln=eng

Rooms very nice, great hotel breakfast, convenient for public transportation. Not a small, charming property by any means, but very convenient.

Therese Apr 17th, 2009 01:13 PM

Also, venere.com has a better list of hotels than Tripadvisor for Milan. Use the map function and look at properties in the Parco Sempione and Centro Historico areas. Cadorna station is labeled as Stazione Nord F.N. (as that's the name of the railway company that serves it, not the national Ferrovie dello Stato).

Lots of options there.

LisaG Apr 17th, 2009 10:34 PM

Thanks everyone so much for your replies!

To answer the obvious question that I neglected to specify at first....we have a rental car and don't want to drive into Milan, and also don't want the hassle of parking. That's why we thought staying outside of town, near Malpensa, would be best. It would also serve to be a good location for getting the car returned prior to an early flight.

Will do research on your good input.

LisaG

valtor Apr 18th, 2009 08:25 AM

I would return the car in the moment when arrive in Milan. You will have two days in Milan without car (no need the car) and then can take the train or bus to airport.

bobthenavigator Apr 18th, 2009 09:13 AM

Hotels at the airport include Villa Malpensa and Hotel First--I have used the latter. Howeevr, I would stay at Lago Orta--less than an hour drive and a magical place.

LisaG Apr 18th, 2009 09:32 AM

Again, thanks everyone! Per "remote"s suggestion, I booked the Best Western Jet Hotel in Gallarate. A very good solution for our needs. Exactly what I was looking for, and once again Fodor's has come through when I was in a pinch!

Thanks "remote"!

LisaG

LisaG Apr 22nd, 2009 11:33 AM

All,

Just as a follow-up....we stayed at the Best Western Jet Hotel in Gallarate and it really worked out well. Thank you again to "remote". This hotel is a very good option if you want something near Malpensa, and also want the option of going into Milan for the day. We took the train into Milan, and it couldn't have been easier. The hotel front desk is very helpful, and provides all the information you would need.

We followed their directions the morning of our flight to return our rental car. Again, very easy. I timed our trip and it was just under 30 minutes door-to-door (this includes returning our rental car and walking into the terminal).

Regarding the hotel itself, the room was quite adequate in size and very quiet. The windows open for those who appreciate that. The room had a hair dryer, safe, a clock (the only one we had in our entire 3 weeks in Italy), good sheets, and will have free wifi after 1/1/10. Parking is available underground for 10E or in their outdoor lot for free (we opted for the free). They are set up very well for people who are there for their "last night". Lots of recommendations, good staff, good maps, good directions.

One recommendation---remember to ask for a non-smoking room when making a reservation. By the way, we got the best rate on the Best Western's own website.

Thanks again!

LisaG