Hotel near Madrid Airport?

Mar 4th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Hotel near Madrid Airport?

We will have an early morning flight out of Madrid - thinking it would be good to have a hotel close to the airport. Since it will be the last night, and we'll be arriving from outside the area, we're just looking for basic, clean and inexpensive lodging with some sort of easy transportation to the terminal at about 6:30 a.m.

Any suggestions?
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM

scdreamer,
Hotel Clement Barajas
www.clementhoteles.com

Free minibus to airport-runs 24 hrs.

Mar 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM

I had been looking for the same thing for our last night. Just yesterday I booked the Tryp Diana (Sol melia hotel group) for two people, 74 Euro including tax. (Booked through their website) It has a free shuttle to the airport and is very close to a metro line stop from the city. It meets our needs since we'll be arriving back into Madrid from Cordoba in the early evening. We'll switch (hopefully easily) to the correct metro line to get to the hotel.
Mar 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kathleen ... I checked with Tryp Diana online, and we can get a double room for 62E (including all taxes) for the night. Perfect!

On a side note ... I have used venere.com in the past to book hotels ... I always like that you can cancel up to 48 hours in advance with no problem ... so I went onto their website for the Tryp Diana hotel. Same date, same number of persons, and it was 155E for the night! Whew! What a difference ... makes me wonder.
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Hi

I am not sure about this but I have a hazy recollection of some issues with the Diana.

Have you checked the reviews on TRYP Diana? I have never stayed there so am interested in your feedback too.

Mar 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

amsdon - Thanks for the heads up. Yikes! I looked at reviews of the Diana, and no thanks. It sounds terrible, even at the cheap price I found at their website.

It may be our final night, just a place to crash before catching our a.m. transatlantic flight, but I don't want to leave Spain with a fresh negative experience.

*Sigh* ... I probably should have known the price was too good to be true. I'll have to keep looking.
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:39 AM

scdreamer,
I would also recommend that you check the reviews of the Diana on Trip Advisor.
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Sorry scdreamer,
Our posts must have crossed. Yes, I can personally attest to some of those negatives about the Diana.
Mar 4th, 2008, 05:57 PM

We stayed there too. Just checked my trip notes and I have written: "rather a dump, but just needed a place close to the airport which it was." We had to get up at 5 a.m., so I took 1/2 ambien and hardly noticed, but it is "rather a dump."
Mar 4th, 2008, 06:10 PM

We stayed at the Clement Barajas last August and thought it was very nice.
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:28 AM

About the Tryp Diana... Is it so very bad or just mediocre? Is it a typical airport hotel (usually they are just so-so for this price range), or is it dirty and unclean? That would make a difference to me. I don't think much of or even read trip adviser reviews, but after the comments here on this forum, I did read them--all of them. A few were good, a few very bad, with most being low ratings.

I'm more interested in the comments of people here on this board. Did anyone else stay there recently? I'd love to hear more thoughts.

For around the same cost, is there another airport hotel that should be considered? Thanks Kathy
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I don't recall is being "dirty or unclean"--just a bit run down and not great, but like I said, I had taken 1/2 ambien, so it was o.k. for what I wanted, to get a bit of sleep before our flight.