Hotel near Latin Qtr for less than $125

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel near Latin Qtr for less than $125

I am travelling with my family to Paris in February and need a hotel for less than $125 near the Latin Qtr. I stayed at the Hotel Bonaparte before and loved it but they do not have a big enough room for 4 people. When I stayed there last May I absolutely loved the area and now want to go back with the family. I am going to need a room for the the last 2 weekends in Feb. because we are going to drive to Chamonix on Sunday stay to Thursday and then come back again to Paris. I understand that this is the low period so maybe some of the nicer hotels may have some lower rates. Also, what is the temperature like at that time of the year in Paris? Are the museums open the regular times and days. Any information will be helpful. My children are ages 10 and 17 so they can take a little cold since we will be skiing during the week. Any information on the drive to Chamonix would be helpful.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Are you looking for a single room for 4 people for less than $125? That might be hard to find. Or do you mean a hotel with doubles less than $125? Not too far from the Bonaparte is Grand Hotel des Balcons (http:\\www.balcons.com). It is less than $125 for a double. I have stayed there twice and love the location - a short walk to the Luxemburg Gardens, Odeon Metro and the RER (name escapes me but it is across from the gardens). They have a room for 4 people. Sounds like a fun trip!
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM

I, too, am not sure if you are seeking a quad room for less than $125.00. That is pretty difficult even in low season.

There is a 2* hotel we stayed at for one night in St. Germain which is close to the Latin Qtr. It's the Michelet Odeon, very simple hotel, service is either 2* or 1* quality depending on the clerk, but it is reasonable.

http://www.hotelmicheletodeon.com/English--prices.phtml
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 07:52 PM

No personal experience, but you can research these:

http://www.hotel-marignan.com/
85-125€ / quad room

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75012lux.htm
68-72€ / quad room
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I will check the hotels you all suggested. I am looking for a hotel with 2 double beds that can sleep 4 people. I have seen a few hotels that can accommodate 4 people but i like to ask the Fodorites because I have never been disappointed with their referrals. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:01 AM

What were the hotels you've seen or identified for 2 double beds/ quad ..?
Maybe someone knows info about those...
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:20 AM

Hotel St Andre des Arts, in the 6th, on the street of the same name. I stayed in a guad there in 2002 for just over 100 euro, so by now and with the exchange rate it might be a little higher but I really think it's your best best. Nice hotel, great location. All the other hotels I've stayed in either didn't have 4 bed rooms or were a little higher priced,
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Strongly, strongly recommend Hotel Christophe. The family will love the wonderful pizza place across the street (I know is Paris; let's get real). Two close metro stations nearby.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Hotel Christophe is not going to have a Quad room for less than $125. Their twin/dbls cost more than that. (I've stayed there, 4 years ago).
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM

A few hotels have lower rates in February (some only slightly), but I haven't seen a lot that do, and none that would bring it close to the price you want. They usually don't have lower rates for quads, even when they have them, anyway. February isn't a real low hotel season in Paris consistly. There are fashion shows in February and lots of business, so a lot of hotels don't have lower rates. They won't for a quad, anyway, I bet.

I don't think you will find a nicer hotel offering a quad room for US$125 (about 100 euro) in Feb. or any other time, especially not in one of the most expensive areas of Paris, which you want. Also, your kids aren't that little and the 17 yr old is basically an adult in hotel terms.

Some hotels I know with Feb. discounts of 10 euro to one night free for three paid or something are Hotel de la Tour Notre Dame, Hotel Terrass in Montmartre, Hotel des Arenes in the 5th (only 10 euro on doubles, though) and Hotel Claude Bernard in the 5th, and the Grand Hotel Francais in the 11th.

I don't think any of them have it for a quad nor would it put it in your price range, even with the discount, though. These are mostly 3* hotels. For example, the Claude Bernard's quad rate is usually 250 euro or so, and that is a moderately priced hotels with a lot of seasonal rates. I think it maybe be only 170 euro in February. Hotel de la Tour Notre Dame has very good discounts in February, but then a double goes for 119 euro rather than 169 euro. I don't think they have quads.

St Andre des Arts isn't a bad idea, although you won't get a discount in Feb. there. But a quad is only 119 euro.

Museums are open normal hours in February, as they are all the time except a few major holidays.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:27 PM

Have you considered an apartment. We stayed in one at 40 Rue Chapon in the Marais last March for 95 euro a night. It slept 4. I had always stayed in the 5th or 6th before but found I really like the Marais as a place to stay. Most apartments have a 3 night minimum and may have lower rates for longer stays. We were there for 6 nights and I don't recall if it would have been more for only 3 nights at a time. If you search on Paris apartment rentals you'll get lots of sites to look at.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Christina for your information. I am looking for a hotel near Rue De Bonaparte because I really like the area. Most have what I have seen is closer to Notre Dame and want to stay close to Rue De Bonaparte. So far, the rates I have seen is about 120.00 Eur so I know I can find a nice place. Any suggestions near Rue de Jacob and closer to the Louvre would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:59 AM

we would love to know the names of the hotels you have found in the Saint Germain area that have rooms with 2 double beds for 120€. please do share.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM

yes, I would like to know, also, although maybe our idea of some of the nicer hotels is different. Maybe you just mean any decent hotel that isn't a total wreck as one of the nicer hotels (to me, I assumed you meant above average, at least 3*), I think it's great if you found a quad for 120 euro in the central area. That not less than US$120 though, it's around $150, but it sounds like you are hoping to get one even cheaper and in a more expensive area (St Germain).

Is around Notre Dame the 5th or maybe the 4th arrondisement near the river? I think hotels could be cheaper around Chatelet or some place like that, and the 5th is cheaper than St Germain.

I do admire your confidence, but I think your telling us where you got a quad for 120 euro would benefit others, as a lot of families look for such things. I know a lot of people like the area around Bonaparte, and do have an idea on a cheap hotel around there -- the Hotel de St Germain on rue du Four. That could be perfect for your needs (2*, location you want, pretty cheap for that area).
http://www.hotel-saint-germain.com/

I have no idea if they have a quad, though, or what the rate for that would be in Feb. Their doubles usually range from about 75-120 euro and that is cheap for St Germain.

I know another 2* hotel in that area that does have at least two quad rooms, though, and that is Regent's on rue Madame.
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75006regs2.htm

That might actually be possible as their triples are 95-125 euro, so add a bit for the fourth person, and it might be around 125 euro, if not USD.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM

You might try Hotel L'Esperance on rue Pascal (off Rue Mouffetard). We had a quite decent room there for around 80 euro in May of 2004. Not sure about quad rooms, though...
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM

Hi

worth ploughing through some of these :
http://www.the-languedoc-page.com/to...n-paris-75.htm

Peter