Reload this Page >

hotel near florence train station safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 05:16 AM
lynn

Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether the florence train station is a safe place to be at night? that's where the hotel I'm looking at is situated--just 300m away... thanks.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Shana

A couple of years ago my husbandand I stayed at the Nuovo Italia on via Faenze near the train station. We felt perfectly safe walking in the evenings, however we were accosted one morning by teenage pickpockets. No problem, they were deterred by a gruff "Go away". Just be alert and you'll be fine.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 07:48 AM
Meg

Lynn I stayed at Hotel Aprile about 200 yards from the train station in Florence. I felt perfectly safe though I wouldn't linger on the station (that goes for any station not just Firenze!) <BR>I've been to Italy loads of times and never had any problems

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Deborah

Lynn, I was there last year (alone) and was very uncomfortable around the train station at night. There are enough reasonably priced hotels around that it shouldn't be a problem to find something else a little further away.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 10:58 AM
clo

Firenze train station area is perfectly safe just a few steps from the cathedral and mostsightseeing in Florence. As usual in stations there are pickpockets looking for dumb tourists (and dumb locals, too). As long as you watch out you'll be perfectly fine.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Thyra

Lynn, Florence is an extremely walkable city. The train station is not terribly far away from anything. <BR>If you feel uncomfortable about staying near there, consider a hotel that maybe on the same side of town, but not next to the station. We were able to walk from one end of town to the other 3 times in one day.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 03:50 PM
James

I have to answer this post. <BR> <BR>Hasn't anyone had the same experiences as I have near the train station in Florence and others in Italy? There were gypsies begging with their babies on their laps and children that they sent to beg for them. They would ask you for money and then look back at their parents as if if you didn't give it to them they would be punished. We were also accosted in restaurants by these children offering us a flower (to purchase). It was obvious that the restaurant owner let them into the restaurant and the children went immediately to the Americans and foreigners and didn't bother the locals. The police turn a blind eye. Has anyone had the same experience?

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 04:24 PM
mike

Train station = bar in Star Wars (as in most cities that I've ever been to). <BR>If you look like a chump, you will be a target. You will be fine. You aren't going to hang around the train station at 1 in the morning are you? No,of course not. Having said that, we usually stay on the south side of the river. Sitting on the terrace, sipping our favorite wine, watching the evening lights twinkle to life along the Arno.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Holly

Can you locate the hotel on a street map? If it's 2 blocks from the train station, it's still considered "near the station" but yet far enough away that you'll be perfectly safe as long as you use common sense.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Steve the Guide

Hotel Lombardi. See www.hotel-lombardi.com There is also a a map with the location.