Hotel Nazionale Montecitorio, Rome

Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Nazionale Montecitorio, Rome

Hi
Everyone on Fodors seems to like this hotel, but the reviews on tripadvisor.com vary WIDELY... and I mean widely. Several are excellent reviews but there are three or four that say the hotel is terrible. One person claims to have booked the 3 nights for the price of two special, and left because the hotel was dirty and very rundown.

I am puzzled. Does anyone here have insight on this? We always stay at the Portoghesi, but the USD to Euro rate is too much for us this year. We need a better deal, but still want this part of Rome.

Any help will be appreciated.
Debbie
Dec 3rd, 2004, 06:36 PM

It has excellent feedback at Venere:

http://www.venere.com/cgi/hotels/pgw...g=en&htid=1994

With TripAdvisor, I sometimes wonder if the posters get their hotels mixed up with others of similar names. Who knows.
Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:08 PM

We've stayed at Portoghesi and Nazionale Montecitorio. Although we like the Portoghesi, we have chosen the Nazionale again on our next trip in March. We enjoyed the hotel, loved the location and felt it was a bargain at the stay 3/pay for 2 special weekend rates.

We saw no evidence of the comments in the negative reviews on trip advisor.

Dec 5th, 2004, 12:37 AM

Debbie, I noticed the same strange assortment of responses on tripadvisor for the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio. We stayed there in June and booked 2 rooms for 4 nights, and it was fantastic...very clean, classy hotel, in an excellent centrally located spot. Good breakfast buffet, and I left a tip for the young woman who served us our cappucino every morning with such a warm and welcoming smile.

So why are there some bad reviews? I think it's possible some people have mixed up several hotels with similar names...in rome there's another hotel with the name Nazionale, but it's a totally different hotel, and it's not on the Piazza Montecitorio...I think maybe some people aren't very careful where they post. Also there's another hotel in Rome called something like the Inter-Nazionale...confusing to have 3 with similar names.

Also I use tripadvisor all the time and find it very reliable. I have noticed a similar pattern for other hotels...there's always someone who goes on and claims someplace is dirty, full of bugs, etc., and I have stayed at these hotels sometimes more than once and knew the reviews to be impossible.

What I suggest is when you look at tripadvisor.com, if there are 10 reviews, ignore the worse 2 completely and go with the rest...go with the majority.

We chose the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio on the advice of a friend who has stayed there more than once, so there's 2 people for you who found it to be an excellent hotel, if that helps. Would I stay there again? Absolutely, yes. If you want to e-mail me I love talking about our trip to Rome and Italy. [email protected] Please do mention something about the Hotel Nazionale in the subject line if you write so I'll know you're not an advertisement...

I've found both on tripadvisor .com and also on fodors, some people just enjoy causing trouble and will post false things just to make mischief.

Basically if you want to know if a hotel has any flaws, look for the balanced reviews, which have both positive and negative points...they are much more accurate than the ones which are all bad.

Good luck. Buon viaggio!

Dec 5th, 2004, 01:46 AM

Debbie, oops, I posted the wrong e-mail address. If you want to ask any more questions about the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio in Rome my e-mail address is actually [email protected] I accidentally posted yahoo instead of hotmail. sorry!

I might also mention that the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio is next to the Italian parliament building, and there are some diplomats from various countries staying there...We met one at the breakfast buffet...Naturally they would stay at a nice hotel.
Dec 8th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Well, we stayed at Hotel Nazionale and found it to be wonderfully located and badly in need of refurbishing. Unlike other posters, we thought the breakfast was subpar.

On the other hand, the rate at the time was on the low side and our room was spacious. Check out www.reservationitaly.com. I just arranged a hotel for next July that I know to be lovely, and the rate offered is amazing.
Carol L