Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Navona or Residenza Canali? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-navona-or-residenza-canali-766442/)

flyingfinns Feb 10th, 2009 12:10 PM

Hotel Navona or Residenza Canali?

Hello,
I'm planning a mother/daughter trip to Rome this Spring and need help deciding between Hotel Navona and Residenza Canali. Their locations and room rates seem pretty similar. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks!

dina4 Feb 10th, 2009 06:23 PM

i just booked a room at the residenza canali. it seems to have great reviews and is in a great location. i did quite a bit of research.

i don't know anything about hotel navona. hopefully someone else will chime in...

flyingfinns Feb 13th, 2009 05:28 AM

Thanks for your reply! Residenza Canali does seem to have mostly positive reviews. I think the only complaints I've seen are with regards to the staircase, but that shouldn't be a problem for us. I've dragged my poor mother up the hills of San Francisco, so a few flights of stairs should be ok!

Byrd Feb 13th, 2009 06:15 AM

flyingfinns,

We stayed at the Residenza Canali last April, and the location is indeed wonderful.

However, we were unable to get one of the terrace rooms, and our room was very small. The armoire-style closet was tiny, and there was no place to put shoes or folded clothes.

The nice bathroom was reasonably sized.

I am not complaining, since I believe that a small hotel room in Rome is better than a large suite almost anywhere else!

I just wanted to suggest that you ask for a terrace room, or at least a larger room.

Have a wonderful time in Roma.

Byrd

suec1 Feb 13th, 2009 06:24 AM

We stayed at the Canali several years ago and had a nice visit. Stairs are steep and it really is hard to find! We were pretty much right in front of it, walking back and forth, asking at adjacent businesses - finally we were directed to the entry - that was several years ago, maybe it is better marked now or more known. The location is GREAT!

getcarter Feb 13th, 2009 07:20 AM

Residenza Canali - terrace room. The others are way too small.

sandi_travelnut Feb 13th, 2009 10:22 AM

Type in the name of the hotel in the search field to get other reviews, if you haven't already. My family and I stayed there in 2004. Great central location, the decor is not terribly pretty and the walls are thin. It is priced for its locale and nothing elase.

sandi_travelnut Feb 13th, 2009 10:23 AM

I was speaking of Residenza Canali ai Coronari.

flyingfinns Feb 13th, 2009 04:33 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. With regards to the staircase, do you think it would be a problem for someone who has a fear of heights? My mother tends to get a bit nervous going up spiral type staircases.

Samsaf Feb 13th, 2009 05:46 PM

flyingfinns, we've also stayed at the Residenza Canali. The stairs are a little steep, but they weren't a problem for us. It was mostly a problem when we were trying to drag our luggage up the steps, beacuse the steps do curve, so they aren't completely even.

Our room was a little small, but it was fine for us. And the bathroom was very modern and clean.

The Residenza Canali has a driver who could pick you up at the airport for about the same cost as a regular cab, and that way you wouldn't have to worry about not finding it.

When we return to Rome, we definitely want to stay there again. The location was perfect.

sandi_travelnut Feb 24th, 2009 05:37 AM

"The Residenza Canali has a driver who could pick you up at the airport for about the same cost as a regular cab, and that way you wouldn't have to worry about not finding it."

My cab driver had to get out his map to find the little alley way, "tre archi", and still dropped us off a bit further away than we expected. I realized later that Coronari is a pedestrian street and he couldn't get much closer.

2Travlrs Apr 6th, 2009 01:27 PM

Did you contact the hotel directly for reservations? The website I saw listed out-of-date prices.

Samsaf Apr 7th, 2009 04:19 AM

I think I sent them an email. Sometimes it takes a few days for them to answer emails. They offered a discount for cash payment (instead of credit card).