Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Muguet neighborhood (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-muguet-neighborhood-393056/)

JeanneB Jan 29th, 2004 08:26 AM

Hotel Muguet neighborhood

Most of you know me and know I would usually do thorough research on my own. But this time I've been asked to help a friend and I don't have time to run through all the old threads.

So. They are in Germany for 2 months and are taking a spur of the moment trip to Paris this weekend. Of my recommendations, they were able to get in Hotel Muguet. I haven't stayed there myself.

I know many of you love the restaurants in that area. Could you please tell me a few to steer them toward? Thanks for the perpetual kindness of Fodorites.

djkbooks Jan 29th, 2004 08:51 AM

There are wonderful, moderately priced, restaurants in every direction. Best bet is to wander about upon arrival and peruse the menus. Then, reserve. The front desk will do this for you. Booking is essential on weekends.

Travelnut Jan 29th, 2004 09:07 AM

There was another recent thread about restaurants in the 7th, so I copied one of the posts with many recs for you:

More Paris restaurant questions. . .
Author: Maribel <threadselect.jsp?screen_name=Maribel&fid=2 >
Date: 01/26/2004, 12:00 pm
We too love Le Florimond and find it just doesn't miss in any respect, and it delivers a really good value. I'm sure you'll love it.
A second to Maupertu and to La Fontaine de Mars (good for Sun. eve), and also Le Bellecour, which also serves a very reasonable (for a 1 Michelin star) 28 euro formule (2 courses) at lunch besides the 44 euro menu. We wish we would have chosen it for our New Years Eve extravaganza (78 euros) rather than Chez l'Ami Jean, which has been taken over by the former sous chef of La Regalade.

Others we like very much in the 7th:

L'Affriole (19 lunch/30 dinner)-terrific value

Clos des Gourmets (23 and 27 lunch, 30 dinner)

Au Bon Accueil (25 lunch/29 dinner)

Nabuchodonosor (18,80 lunch 29/35 dinner)

tiny Le P'tit Troquet (28 menu), although the last time we were there on a Mon. night, we found an entirely an English speaking crowd, probably because it was a Mon.`-but delicious meal.

We've been eating our way through the Hamburgers' "Bistros of Paris". We added a couple of new ones in the 11th in Jan, but also this one, which is a nice walk from the Place de Breteuil.:

Bistrot d'Hubert in the 15th-charming decor, open country kitchen, cozy, warm, refined, very friendly and a splendid meal (41 menu for dinner).

Another we won't miss next time (couldn't fit it in):
"Le Petit Laurent" in the 7th on Rue de Varenne, which offers a lovely, elegant setting and a lunch menu of 3 courses, 2 glasses of wine for 29 euros.

alan64 Jan 29th, 2004 10:24 AM

Thanks for copying Maribel's post. We're staying at the Muguet in May and this list will be handy.

Gretchen Jan 29th, 2004 11:16 AM

Other restaurants
Bistrot du 7eme-59 blvd. Latour-Mauborg--a REAL bargain
The best is Le Florimond--19 av. Lamotte-Picquet,reservations
Fontaine de Mars--corner of Ste. Dominique and rue de l'Exposition.Open Sunday--reserve the day before.
Les Olivades-41 av. Segur
La Terrasse--brasserie at the Ecole Militaire metro
Do NOT go to Bistro du Papa just up the street (Bourbonnais?) from Ecole Militaire metro.
We also do not care for Thomieux on Ste. Dominique although it is often recommended.

Travelnut Jan 29th, 2004 01:03 PM

For a more relaxed meal, we enjoyed eating at Brasserie Ecole Militaire several times... huge salad plates, good mussels, trout, frites, desserts... Saw others eating from huge mounds of shellfish...

JeanneB Jan 29th, 2004 02:15 PM

Thanks, everyone. I've emailed your comments to them. How can they go wrong? They'll be in Paris!