Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Muguet ?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-muguet-509880/)

dannyyoung Mar 6th, 2005 02:18 PM

Hotel Muguet ??

Has anyone ever stayed at Hotel Muguet ?? It gets good reviews on Trip Advisor. We are looking for 2 triple rooms...thoughts please ?

LoveItaly Mar 6th, 2005 02:19 PM

Country and city this hotel is located in??

dannyyoung Mar 6th, 2005 02:46 PM

dahhhh...sorry ?? Hotel Muguet is in Paris

carrolldf Mar 6th, 2005 02:46 PM

This is a popular hotel which has been discussed on thus board many times, generally favorably. I have not been fortunate enough to stay there yet, but based on what I've read here, look forward to my travel plans someday cooinciding with availability.

Type in "Hotel Muguet" in the search box and you will find several threads in which it is discussed.

progol Mar 6th, 2005 03:39 PM

I've copied the post I wrote last summer, just after I returned from a visit. I think it is a good hotel for the money, but I also found the staff unhelpful, distant, and, as you'll see occasionally rude!
-------
Date: 08/02/2004, 08:36 pm

Message: Now I can chime in on the subject of the Muguet, having spent 5 days there in July.

Overall, I liked the hotel; however, I felt that the staff was generally pleasant but very cool and did not go out of their way to be helpful. Several times, my husband and I asked pretty basic tourist questions that most people working in the tourist industry would likely know (regarding metro stops, for instance), and no one seemed to either know or have the time to try to help us.

We had one of the larger double rooms with 2 beds, which we pushed together. I had also requested a room with a view of the Eiffel Tower, but did not get it-- and I reserved the roomthe previous August for this past July. So an early reservation does not guarantee anything; I believe them that availablity is what determines such things.
The room was very well kept; the bathroom (shower, no tub) was immaculate, the bedroom small but comfortable with good a/c. I have no complaints about the quality of the rooms; they are very well maintained. And the breakfast room (which we overlooked) is bright and cheery. The breakfast, at 8 euros per person, provided more than the standard bread, croissants and cafe, and was generally fair value. We ate breakfast there 2 or 3 times, and skipped it the other times.

We did have the most peculiar incident occur one afternoon, though. We arrived back on the 3rd or 4th day to find that the bedside table on my husband's side removed from the room, and everything that he had on the table was just sitting there on the floor. I went down to the desk to complain (I'm still not sure which one Mme Pelletier is, but I do believe this is who I was talking to). She was most apologetic, and called the maid over to ask what had happened. I don't understand enough French to follow, but the maid gave Mme P. a very hard time, though she did go and return the table to our room. When the maid arrived in our room with the table, she proceeded to lecture us! My husband and I were completely taken aback by this; we didn't follow much of what she said, but I think she said that since we pushed our beds together, we only had ONE bed, not two, and so we are supposed to have only ONE bed table. And some other room needed it instead of us! I'm still not clear what the reasoning was; it was very strange.

We then spoke again to Mme. P, who told us that we shouldn't get too bothered by the maid; after all, she said, "she is rude to me, too, but she cleans so well"

I kid you not; she did say this to my husband and me. No apology from her (and certainly, none from the maid!), though Mme P. was a trifle embarrassed. As my husband and I commented to each other, "good help is hard to find!"

As far as location, I enjoyed staying in the 7th this time, but if and when I go back, I would probably stay in the 6th. The area around the Muguet is quiet and generally a lot more staid than other places. Of course, it was great on Bastille Day when we were just a few minutes away from the Eiffel Tower!
---
Paule

mermaid_ Mar 6th, 2005 03:43 PM

Is this the hotel where Madame's dog bit one of the guests?

crefloors Mar 6th, 2005 03:53 PM

Yes, this is the hotel where the dog bit someone. I think I read not too long ago that the dog had died. It was famous..I used to be on another board and the Muguet is very well thought of and many of the posters stayed there all the time, but they always warned, don't try to pet the dog. It hung out in the lobby and if you left it alone it was fine but don't try to pet it.

mermaid_ Mar 6th, 2005 04:18 PM

crefloors: only in Paris :D

dannyyoung Mar 6th, 2005 05:59 PM

wow....sounds like I might of made a bad choice....we would like to be in that area...any recomendations ?? We need 2 triples and 1 double.....under 150 Euros a night....

JeanneB Mar 6th, 2005 06:45 PM

Last winter I had a nephew working temporarily in Germany. Three of his co-workers had a last minute chance to go to Paris for the weekend.

Knowing I've researched Paris hotels, he emailed and asked if I could find them a triple room with only 2 days notice.

The Muguet had a triple at a very reasonable rate. They were very happy with the hotel and the size of their room.

The hotel gets consistently good reviews. Don't let a few anecdotes change your mind. If that's the area you want to stay, I would think the Muguet is a good choice.

Travelnut Mar 7th, 2005 04:27 AM

Paris hotels have their quirks and charms...most people like the Muguet, many return to it multiple times... You don't have to feel compelled to abandon it.

ckenb Mar 7th, 2005 05:24 AM

I have stayed at the Muguet -- it was in Dec. 2002, I believe -- and it is a fine hotel in a good neighborhood. Don't expect the staff to be overly friendly. They are usually helpful, however. I managed to avoid the little dog.

Lynn_Gibson Mar 7th, 2005 06:26 AM

I've stayed at the Muguet several times, most recently in July 2004. The hotel has a great location, being close to Metros, and within walking distance of many attractions, restaurants, Rue Cler, etc. The hotel is also very comfortable and clean. I particularly like their bathrooms, which are not as small as some I've experienced in "budget" hotels.

JeanneB Mar 7th, 2005 09:11 AM

Danny wrote:
<i>We need 2 triples and 1 double...under 150 Euros a night....</i>

Do yo mean per room?

kbrennan Mar 7th, 2005 12:42 PM

We have stayed at Hotel Muguet and found the staff &quot;reserved&quot; but helpful. They were very professional in appearance and manners. Our questions were all answered politely.This is perhaps the cleanest hotel in which I have stayed.

StCirq Mar 7th, 2005 12:49 PM

The Hotel de France is in the very same neighborhood, has friendly, helpful staff, and does not harbor pets. Double rooms are about 75 euros a night.

www.hoteldefrance.com

dannyyoung Mar 7th, 2005 01:19 PM

JeanneB.....It was 150 Euro per room for a triple...thanks all for teh input...what restaurants would you reccomend in the area

Christina Mar 7th, 2005 01:34 PM

I've stayed at the Muguet and think it sounds fine for what you want. It's a decent budget hotel in a good location, and the rate is not bad. I thought their bathroom was pretty good, also, but I actually don't rave about the place nor think it's anything that great. But it's fine for a budget hotel. I did not find the staff polite or helpful with the very few questions I asked regarding how things worked in the hotel. It was clean, but I've never stayed in a dirty hotel in Paris nor was it any cleaner than any others, so that is unremarkable to me.

You'll always get some people with different opinions, especially on things like staff, help, personnel, and even assessment of rooms (and lots of rooms vary in Parisian hotels). It is an acceptable hotel for that budget, and you want something pretty unusual, so if you can get it there, I think that's a good deal.

wren Mar 7th, 2005 02:12 PM

Does that hotel have AC St. Cirq? I have considered it before, but it seems like for the summer that was the reason we chose not to stay there.

StCirq Mar 7th, 2005 03:02 PM

Hi, wren. No, I don't think the H&ocirc;tel de France has A/C, but as I'm usually there in March and October, I haven't really noticed. I'll see if I can find out for sure.