Hotel Mueller or Wellvital Hotel Ru

Feb 26th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Mueller or Wellvital Hotel Ru

Would appreciat eif anyone can advise on either Hotel Mueller or Hotel Rubezahl at Hotehnswangau. Both are excelletn and its difficult to choose. May thanks.
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM

We liked the Hotel Mueller. Had a nice dinner with a view of Neuschwanstein. We checked out and left our car at the hotel while we visited Neuschwanstein, then continued our trip up the Romantic Road. It was a very convenient location.
Feb 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM

I don't think you would go wrong with either hotel. I have never stayed at the Hotel Mueller, but it is in a really good location. I have stayed at the Rubezahl in Hohenschwangau and really loved it. There is a fantastic view of the illuminated royal castles in the evening from the hotel's patio.
Feb 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts Mimar and Joe. Now I've just seen Hotel Sonne in Fussen and it seems to be more central to more sights and sounds.
Any thoughts of Fussen? They ar eall SO enticing.
Feb 27th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Well, we were doing a driving trip of Germany and Austria. Drove to Hohenschwangau via the Deutche Alpenstrasse and, after Hohenschwangau, drove north on the Romantic Road. We wanted to see the castles and didn't have any particular interest in Fussen. So we were pleased to discover we didn't have to stay in Fussen but could stay right near the castles with easy parking.

Later we continued on to Switzerland by train. So altogether we were seeing lots of cute towns and Alpine scenery elsewhere on our trip. We did enjoy an evening stroll to the lake from Hotel Mueller.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:43 AM

We loved Hotel Mueller - great service, comfortable rooms, and a nice meal with complimentary sekt! We had a view of Hohenschwangau from our room. They take care of all of your castle tour tickets for you - you let them know in advance what you want, and they have the tickets ready for you the morning of your tours. We were there in winter so we took the horse-drawn sleigh from the hotel up to Neuschwanstein (Hohenschwangau is a short walk from the hotel). We didn't mind not being in Fuessen since we were just there for the night to visit the castles and the hotel was very convenient.
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM

We also loved Hotel Mueller. Our room had a view of the castle and the location couldn't be better. But there is more to do in Fussen if you want to do something in the evening... There is not much around Hotel Mueller but we had a nice after dinner walk near the lake.
Feb 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am a novice at Indep travel and this site is fabulous. What a luvly e-community. We will be taking a train from Munich to see the magical Neuschwanstein and Hoehnswangau Castles. The train takes us to Fussen and then we find our way to Hohen. Unsure whether to be based in Hohen for two nights and then another two nights in Fussen or to stay in Fussen for four nights and visit the Castles from Fussen. Is Fussen a better base from which to visit Oberammagau on a day trip? We are not driving but use the train and will be travelling back to Munich. I am of course not from Germany hence learning the ropes. Cheers and thanks.
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:56 AM

VCNZ--I would suggest that, if at all possible, you use a car in that part of Germany. It makes things much easier than using public transportation--in that area. You can see and do a lot more in a shorter time with a car.

But if you can't use a car for some reason, you'll still be able to see a lot using public transport.
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Another vote for Hotel Mueller. Great staff and breakfast, parking available, comfortable room, and dinner was excellent also.