Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Metropole v. Hotel Londra Palace in Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-metropole-v-hotel-londra-palace-in-venice-84022/)

Joy Aug 22nd, 2000 07:21 PM

Hotel Metropole v. Hotel Londra Palace in Venice

Trying to decide between the Londra palace and Hotel Metropole in Venice. (Metropole is a bit less but not too much). <BR>Any advice?

kiersten Aug 23rd, 2000 10:26 AM

Londra has a nice lobby, good location, and big windows that open onto the canal. You should be able to find web sites w/photos..run search on google.com

Jim Aug 26th, 2000 04:50 PM

FYI- Just read a bad review of Londra Palace on Rants & Raves- anyone stay there recently?

frank Aug 26th, 2000 05:54 PM

My family and I stayed at the Metropole in Venice in July. Was terrific! Large rooms, great service and location. We even won two free nights accomodations (they have a drawing every week). The Metropole has it's own private dock, and it's location is great. I Highly reccomend it! I will be glad to ans any questions you might have. Frank Keller

Jim Aug 26th, 2000 07:34 PM

Have to agree with the last posting. We stayed at the Metropole for 3 nights at the beginning of July. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet (included) was very good. The location was great as it was a short walk to St. Mark's and close to the Vaporetto stops. If you're driving to Venice, you can get free parking as part of the room rate. Feel free to e-mail any questions.

Beth Aug 26th, 2000 07:46 PM

I stayed at Londra Palace last September. The room was very nice, and the view was excellent. The restaurant served a decent breakfast (included!) but the dinner was one of the more disappointing meals we ate in Venice. I saw the Metropole and thought it looked nice too. I think I would consider staying there just because its a tiny bit furthur from the crowds at San Marco. At Londra we were annoyed because the A/C wasn't very strong, so we either slept with the windows shut which was very hot and stuffy, or left them open and were awoken very early by the crowds and the noise from the vaporetto stop directly outside our window.

Joy Aug 31st, 2000 11:34 AM

How are the bathrooms at the Metropole? The rants and raves post complains of smoky rooms and bad service at the Londra Palace- anyone experience this?

Diane Sep 5th, 2000 11:25 AM

Our bathroom at the Metropole was fabulous---it was all marble, with a heated floor. It was an unusual room---way up under the eaves, and obviously new, so this may not be typical.

Anna Sep 21st, 2000 06:49 AM

I have never stayed at the Metropole but have been to the Londra, as well as to the Luna Hotel . I just loved the Londra! The location is fabulous, the rooms beautifully decorated and the bathrooms completely modernized. The staff was very helpful.I was w. a friend who was having her 50th birthday and they provided a mini cake w. candles and Prosecco. I can't say anything about dinner since I did not eat at the hotel, then again I don't think that that hotels are your best choice for dinner! Anyway, this is my opinion. <BR>if you don't mind i will give you a suggestion for a good restaurant-Trattoria da Remigio. it is not fancy but you will need a reservation. if you go to murano accept the trip there- courtesy of the glassmakers but return on the vaporetto. murano itself is very quaint and different from Venice but most people don't visit it. As a matter of fact I only really saw Murano on my 3rd visit to Venice. Its such a fabulous city-have fun and enjoy it. The only thing you must be careful of is your valuables!Anna

Holly Sep 21st, 2000 09:31 PM

Anna - I don't think I've seen recommendations for the Trattoria da Remegio before. Can you tell us where it's located (approximately will do) and why you recommend it? Any info will be appreciated!