Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Medici Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-medici-florence-52223/)

Betty Sep 2nd, 1999 09:22 AM

Hotel Medici Florence

This is a 2 star hotel on Via de Medici behind the Piazza della Repubblica in Florence. If you've ever stayed there and have comments, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks much! Betty

Shelly Aug 23rd, 2000 11:03 AM

I'm bringing this message to the top in hopes that someone will share their recent experiences. I also have reservations at Hotel Medici in October and would great appreciate any comments. Is this a decent hotel? Thanks!

Deborah Aug 23rd, 2000 03:46 PM

I have stayed there twice. The location is PERFECT! It is a three minute walk to see the Statue of David (outdoor one), and a one minute walk to the Duomo. Everything is convenient. <BR> <BR>The hotel itself is adequate—thus the two stars. It has small rooms—no air-conditioning, but my room had a ceiling fan which made it very comfortable. (I was there during a very hot spell in July of this year.) The rickety elevator takes you to the fifth floor, where the reception desk is. (The hotel is located on the fifth and sixth floors only.) <BR> <BR>The best part of the hotel is the roof-top garden. We asked to have our breakfast on a tray and we took it up to the rooftop, which overlooks the Duomo. It has little tables and chairs, potted plants, etc. Very lovely. <BR> <BR>Breakfast is meager by American standards. A roll, butter, jam, coffee or hot chocolate or juice. If you need more, plan on picking up some fruit along the way. <BR> <BR>Any other questions, feel free to post again or e-mail me. <BR> <BR>Deborah

Betty Aug 24th, 2000 06:48 AM

I posted the original question almost a year ago. We took a chance and stayed there early last October. The other person who stayed there described it perfectly. It was adequate, but no more. The staff was very friendly. We did get a surprise when they would not accept a credit card, so we used our bank card for the first time in Italy. It was by far the least expensive place we stayed, and for location, you can't beat it. We too brought in fruit to augment our breakfast. Betty

Shelly Aug 24th, 2000 01:58 PM

Deborah and Betty, <BR>Thanks so much for your very informative responses! Sounds like Hotel Medici will be a good choice for the economical trip that I'm planning. Betty, just for your future information, I was able to reserve a room with a credit card, so they must accept them now.

Lesli Aug 24th, 2000 02:32 PM

Shelly - <BR> <BR>The fact that a hotel will allow you to use a credit card to hold your reservation does not *necessarily* mean that they will allow you to pay your bill with one. Usually, but not always.... If it's important to you, ask. As long as you know in advance that they require cash (or traveller's checks), it is easy enough to go to the ATM and withdraw the cash, or countersign the traveller's checks that you brought for this purpose.

Betty Aug 25th, 2000 05:22 PM

I too reserved by credit card; they did tell us a couple of days in advance about their cash policy, so we hit the machine in plenty of time. Someone by the name of Reah e-mailed me asking the rate, and my reply came back undeliverable. So I hope she sees this. Last year we paid $117 for a twin bedded room including breakfast. If you like to go out for breakfast, there is a nice coffee shop adjacent to the hotel. I've heard that you can ask to have a rate without breakfast and usually get a good discount. Betty