Hotel Margutta or Hotel Campo de Fiori?

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 03:32 PM
Peggy

Hotel Margutta or Hotel Campo de Fiori?

I am looking at these two hotels in Rome for my stay and am unsure which to pick. Can anyone who has stayed at either give me some assistance in terms of their experience, the cost and the location?

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 04:58 PM
Richard Vicek

Good evening, Peggy
The hotel Margutta is a two star hotel with 27 rooms, it is located on the Via Laurina at # 34, it is two blocks south of the Pza del Popolo and just off the Corso. This is a lively area at the north end of the Corso, plenty of shops and ristorantes close by and about three
blocks north of the Spanish Steps.
Have not stayed there however. The hotel Campo del Fiore, I can not find any listings for same..
Richard of Hickory Hills, Il.....

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 05:00 PM
Richard Vicek

Good evening, again, Peggy
Check out Rome hotels on:
www.hotelguide.ch/
www.venere.it/
Good surfing, Richard of Hickory Hills, Il

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 05:08 PM
Richard Vicek

Good evening, again, again, Peggy
The Hotel Margutta is reviewed in the second fifty of the Europe group, suggest you read these remarks......
Richard of Hickory Hills, Il...

Old Oct 1st, 1998, 05:37 PM
gina

Hi Peggy--I am one of the people who responded to a similar question in an earlier posting, so I will be more complete with my answer. My husband, my daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Margtutta in July of 1997. It cost about $130 per night and came highly recommended by Fodor's. Here is our experience: First, the hotel is a long way from the train station and the taxi driver had trouble finding it. Finally he got frustrated and let us off at the Via Margutta, which is not where the hotel is, it's on the Via Laurina. But that was not the hotel's fault. When we finally arrived, we were given a room that was terribly cramped and literally only had room for our beds. We had to put our suitcases on top of the furniture. The bathroom was hilarious. It was long and skinny, first with a sink on the left and a huge sit-down shower/tub with no curtain on the right. Beyond them there was a toilet and beyond that there was a bidet. You could literally not turn around in the bathroom. Also since we were there in the summer, we had to keep our windows open because there was no air conditioner. The noise from the street down below kept us from sleeping very well. I must say, however, that it was in a great place. The Spanish Steps were just a few blocks away, and something I forgot to say earlier, there was a laundromat just down the street. The metro stop was very close also. I have heard so many people raving about other hotels in Rome, that I really think you ought to look further. Good luck to you!

Old Oct 2nd, 1998, 05:50 AM
Monica

I didn't stay at the Hotel Campo di Fiori, but rather at Hotel Smeraldo, Vicolo dei Chiodaroli, 9, 00186 Roma. Phone: 06-687-5929, fax: 688-05-495. We paid L160,000 (about $90 per night). It's around the corner from Campo di Fiori, a great location! We took the bus from the Termini station to Largo Argentina. The room was nice and clean with our own bathroom and t.v.

Old Nov 18th, 1998, 08:32 AM
Barbara

Hotel Campo de Fiori is great...inexpensive, clean, and perfect location...but don't tell anybody!

Old Nov 18th, 1998, 12:55 PM
francesca

I've posted at least once that I think Hotel Margutta is a fine place but I'll say it again: we went in May 1998 and has a very large, airy room with a large bathroom. We over looked the courtyard (no noise). I would ask for a large room on an upper floor on the courtyard. we found the room very comfortable and reasonable, the staff friendly and the location convenient. Next time, though, I'd like to stay near the Campo de Fiori as that is also a very nice area.

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 06:20 AM
Colleen

I second the recommendation for Smeraldo (Hi, Monica). Hotel Campo dei Fiori was my first choice, but full. We liked the Smeraldo and would stay there again because of it's location (both immediate surroundings and general), value, and it fits our travelling style, which is to stay in modest lodgings and have a great time doing other things. Enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 19th, 1998, 06:20 AM
Colleen

I second the recommendation for Smeraldo (Hi, Monica). Hotel Campo dei Fiori was my first choice, but full. We liked the Smeraldo and would stay there again because of it's location (both immediate surroundings and general), value, and it fits our travelling style, which is to stay in modest lodgings and have a great time doing other things. Enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 23rd, 1998, 12:20 PM
michele

Stayed at the Margutta several years ago...very cramped room, cold, pricey..wouldn't go again