Reload this Page >

Hotel Marc Aurel or Hotel Karntnerhof

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:51 PM
linda

Going to be in Vienna for 3 nights in June. I need a double room with parking for approx. $100 a night. I found these two places by... but need unbaised opinion - Has anyone stayed at either one? I want a place very centrally located. Will either one of these work? Any other suggestions? Thanks - I appreciate all help!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:58 PM

topping

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:36 PM
bettyk

Linda, I usually recommend the Hotel Admiral. It is located right off Mariahilferstrasse close to the Ringstrasse and Ubahn. They have several parking spaces about a half block from the hotel that are reserved for guests. They have a great breakfast and the rooms are nice but not fancy. Rates are in your price range too. Be sure to let them know that you will need a parking place. You can check out their website www.admiral.co.at/.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 09:54 AM
John

We stayed at the Kartnerhof in 2000. It was the worst place in our 3 week excursion! A new, all-night discotech had opened across the cul-de-sac, making for a noisy night. the head desk person was unfriendly and unhelpful. The room, while huge, had that frayed at the edges feel and was not as clean as other places we had stayed at in Austria, Switzerland, France or Norway, and the feeling was drab and dreary. I will say that the breakfast buffet was good and a young intern behind the desk tried his best to compensate for his boss' gruffness.<BR><BR>I wish we had stayed at the Post--nearby, clean and much better.<BR><BR>My advice--stay as far away from the Karnerhof as possible--and I am not typically a fussy traveler.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:11 AM
linda

You mentioned the Post - can you give me anyother info on this? Thanks.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Wayne

The Karntnerhof is the kind of place I would recommend only if someone couldn't find something else, and if they were on a budget. Frankly, though, you can find other hotels nicer that aren't any more costly. Guide books like Fodor's recommend the Karntnerhof, but it is a bit seedy and worn, and the staff isn't all that nice. Try the Hotel Wandl, close to everything and a nicer hotel at about the same price. For a deluxe hotel in an excellent location at a higher price, go for the Konig von Ungarn, just around the corner from the Stephansdom. I have almost always stayed at the Konig von Ungarn and have always enjoyed its charm, its smaller size, the friendly indoor patio and bar, and its great position for wandering around the center of town. Two other hotels that look nice (I have not stayed there) are the Europa and the Royal---Europa seems a bit better. Good luck.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:39 PM
John

for info on the Hotel Post, go to Frommers website (http://www.frommers.com), type in Vienna, click on "Accommodations" and click on "Display all Listings".<BR><BR>The Wandl also is a Frommer's recommended hotel and is described on that page.