Hotel Madrid. Couple + teenager

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Madrid for 3 night, arriving july 5.
We are traveling with our 14 years old daughter.

Some hotels we have tried to reserved on line do not allowed more than 2 people per room while others consider "children" up to 17 years old.
We have checked the Derby Villa Real (recommended here to the "two sisters&quot and room seems to be big enough...but they haven't answered our e-mail about our daughter. Do you think they will charge additional for her? We can made reservation on line for 140, 150 and 160 for the 3 nights we want, but we don't want surprises on arrival.
We have used in the past Priceline, but only in the US. Seems that the Westin Palace have accepted bids for 250 dollars...same question. What will happen with this reservations for two people when you arrive with a teenager and if there is an extra change, how much would the charge could be?
Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 08:30 AM

The Villa Real has single and double rooms, but will allow a young child (much younger than your 14 year old) to be in the room with you. Most hotels in Spain consider 12 and older to be adults when booking a hotel.

There are hotels in Madrid that will accommodate your family including the Hotel Meninas and the Vincci Centrum.

http://www.hotelmeninas.es/
http://www.vinccihoteles.com/
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM

You can search for a triple room with three adults on www.gtahotels.com .

I agree that your daughter will be considered an adult just about everywhere. One exception might be Holiday Inn, but I don't think they are located where you want to stay in Madrid.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM

My husband , son (13 yrs at the time) and I stayed at the Westin Palace some years ago. They brought in a cot and charged extra for it. I seem to recall it was 30-35 euros per night. The room had plenty of space for it, but I don't know if all rooms are like that (although thsi was a std. room, not a suite).

I have stayed in the Villa Real but only two of us at a time. To put a cot in a std room they would have to remove the coffee table, there is reall not that much spave available. They have a leather sofa in the rooms but I don't think they are sofa beds. I wouldn't make the reservation until they confirm they can do it and how much it would be.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Since there are 3 of you, you need to book a triple room.

While more upscale hotels may have rooms large enough to drag in a cot (not very comfy for a full size person and there will be an additional charge) rooms in many less expensive hotels simply won;t be large enough to do so.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 09:45 AM

Sorry - also be aware that in many places in europe the word "cot" is used in the British sense - which is a crib for a child 2 and under.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 02:55 PM

lagdm,
Whether you go with the Westin Palace or the Derby Villa Real, you will be billed additionally for the 3rd person, as they will consider her an adult.

The Holiday Inn's location is not in the least handy for a first time visitor with only 3 days in the city. You'd spend a huge amount of time on the bus or metro (I used to live near the hotel).

I've stayed in a double on a cot at the Westin Palace with my parents (called a "cama supletoria" in Spanish), and the space was adequate, but not all standard rooms at the Palace are made alike.

I see the lowest rate for your dates at the Palace (on the starwood web page) for 3 adults at 344 (with breakfast) or 363 including the VAT, compared to 284 with breakfast for 2.

About the Derby,
I concur with cruiseluv. If you book a standard double there, they would need to put the cot (cama supletoria), which they would charge you for, in the sitting area below (yes, removing the coffee table) and there wouldn't be much space left.
I agree that those leather sofas aren't sofa beds.
At the Derby 3 people would work better in the jr. suite, which is all on one level and has an ample living room with more space for a cot (but that living room leather sofa isn't a sofa bed).

The Hotel Meninas that Robert mentions is a very nice, small 4 star boutique hotel that does have spacious triple rooms, which are reasonably priced. I've seen them, and I like them, much more than the Vincci Centrum. The Meninas is located near the Royal Palace and the Royal Theater/Opera House.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Also Maribel if the Meninas is not available, perhaps the sister hotel the Opera?

Even though our experience last May 07 at the Hotel Opera was not so good due to the leaky roofs/rooms, I noticed some connecting rooms..a small single connecting room next to and connecting with a standard double. It ws on the 7th floor and I understand they have completed the renovation.

Just a back up idea becaue I do think the Meninas would be better in general and newer.

Old Jun 8th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your answers and recomendations. HOtel Meninas is over 200 euros per night...

I went to the gth web page recommended and got a lot of hotels...but this page seems to over rate the hotels...I checked one: "petit Palace San Bernando" 4 stars in this page was 2 stars in Trip Advisor... I will check some more tomorrow.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 08:30 PM

We had a triple room at the Hotel Plaza Mayor. Super friendly people, budget hotel, great location.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelgirl, not available for my dates...still looking...
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Till now...

I have booked (cancellable) a double room at the Derby Villa Real for a total of 481 euros. Sent a message asking about the charge for my daughter...

Searching for triple rooms in booking.com I found Suites 33 which have good reviews in Trip Ad. They had only one triple room left, so I panic and booked (cancellable also) Three night for 489 euros...

I would love to hear your comments... So far I have had problems finding triple rooms in recommended hotels, or even double rooms...Thanks again.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:13 AM

The rate of 489 at Suites 33 is just far too much. Is the 200 euro triple rate at Hotel Meninas not available for your dates? I think that is very reasonable for 3 people in a nice 4 star boutique hotel near the Royal Palace.

Here's an alternative-an Apartotel (apartment hotel with all the services of a full service hotel, including 24 hr. front desk, room service, daily cleaning and change of linen, etc.). There are several in Madrid belonging to the Espahotel group, but the best located is the Apartotel Los Jerónimos behind the Prado Museum. These are studio, 1 and 2 bedroom apartments which rent by the day, week, month.

The triple apartment rate ranges from 132-144 for your dates during their summer promotion.

www.espahotel.es
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Oops! Sorry¡ Read your post too quickly. I see that's 489 TOTAL at the Suites 33. The total rate for a 3 night stay at the Jerónimos would be somewhat less. The Jerónimos is a nice, quiet location.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 01:03 PM

That's a great option when traveling with a 3rd (or 4th)person!. I'll keep it in mind for next year . It's too expensive to pay for 2 hotel rooms !
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Los Jerónimos looks great! My daughter would love to have her own room...I just wonder: there is no much difference in price between Suites 33 and Los Jerónimos, which one you would book considering location and quality.

Suite 33.
215.13 + 141.30 + 130 Total 486.43 tax included

Los Jeronimos
144 + 116 + 132 Total 392 plus tax

...sorry to be so inquisitive... and thanks again!
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 01:51 PM

I prefer Los Jeronimos, if only because it´s quiet and the park is just around the corner.

The ambiance is quite different to calle Leganitos. Just around the corner from Suites 33 you can find the Cool Club, a popular dance place, mostly gay clientele but not only. I guess if your daughter was older and into house music she might enjoy it.

Bye, Cova
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I really don't enjoy at all the teeming atmosphere of Calle Leganitos and that section of the Gran Vía-in fact, I tried to avoid that area because of the constant hustle and bustle.

For me, the location of the Jerónimos is far nicer, quieter and of course, far more handy to the museum triangle and walkable to the lively bars of Calle Huertas and Plaza Santa Ana.

I've stayed one of the Espahotel properties. They were built in the early nineties so not as new as the Suites 33 (you may find the decor a bit dated), but again, I think you'd find the very upmarket location, near the Retiro park, far more enjoyable. I certainly do.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Cova, Maribel.
Many, many thanks! We will definitely stay at Los Jeronimos.

Unfortunately I will keep bothering you, guys…Now comes the more difficult task: the entertainment. My daughter main interest is the James Blunt concert on the 7th, but my husband would love to have a Spanish wine class at Planeta Vino that happen to be also on the 7th... Are there some other options for such a class?

We want to go for “tapas” on Saturday night. Which are your favorite bars? Can we go with our daughter or her age would be a problem to enter the bars? Maybe we can have an early dinner (if such a thing exists in Madrid) and then go to the bars by ourselves…

Sunday night. Botin or Casa Lucio? Do they open on Sundays? Or better tapas on Sunday? Reservations needed I guess…

Churros at San Ginés. Monday morning?

Monday night…I think James Blunt will be.

…No, we don’t go to Madrid just to eat and drink (LOL) We have our sightseeing sorted out.

Thanks again!!! Robert2533, willtravel, nytraveler, cruiseluv, amsdom, travelgirl.
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Lagdm,

Here is what I did: I am NOT high tech obviously.

1. I kept Maribels's guides printed out & in a soft plastic binder with me on the plane & read it over & over here & there (I enjoyed reading it) I usually had it in the hotel room.

2. Prior to the trip I bought some colored index cards (small ones).
I wrote the names of the places we wanted to see & even some "maybe" places. The info was obtained from Maribel's guides, travel books and the wealth of info on Fodors such as the lists Revulgo posts every so often. I used one color to signify restaurants, another color for sights, another museums etc
I put only the basics, address and phone AND what days they were closed. (IMPORTANT)
On the back of these cards I added couple of places of interest that were nearby for that paricular card too (nothing too crazy) For instance on the back of the "Prado Museum" card I put the address of the cafe Maribel recommends accros the street, La Plateria etc. This way we knew of a place for lunch or a tapa neat the Prado. I took only the cards of places we might see that particular day.
Really there were not that many.

You can do this with your family's choices too: Place to go Sunday etc.

Have a grand time I know you will love it. Have the rice pudding at least once, jamon iberico at least once and tortilla espanola at least once...

andson (One of the Hurok girls)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -