Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotel Lydia or Hotel S. Nikolis Hotel in Rhodes?

Hotel Lydia or Hotel S. Nikolis Hotel in Rhodes?

Aug 30th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Lydia or Hotel S. Nikolis Hotel in Rhodes?

I found the Hotel Lydia in Rhodes Town on the internet and it states that is has undergone a complete renovation. It looks great. The management sent me a per night price for September of $48, which seems pretty cheap for the sleek art deco- type pictures they show. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Lydia? Is it really a lovely small hotel? Or a cheap dump? How about the S. Nikolis? The Nikolis looks great and has all the good writeups, but is about $200. Is it worth the splurge? I need a hotel in or close to the Old Town. I'm not interested in the beaches at all. Thanks for any input you can give.
Aug 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Old_One

Internet prices are higher than the 'walk in the door price'. In Greece hotel prices are flexible i.e. you bargain.

The Lydia is not 'art deco' it is a standard 'C' class hotel as far as I can find out. It is in an area where there are many of that category, I have stayed in one nearby, a lot of the hotels are on noisy streets (music bars and traffic all night!) you can only ascertain this by going there. That category is usually OK (but look first) fancy photos mean nothing.

The Old town is mostly quiet at night and there are lower category hotels and rooms to rent places. These vary from the basic to OK. I have stayed here as well.

Search this Thread