Reload this Page >

Hotel Luxembourg vs. Grandes Ecoles, Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:46 PM
Deb

Hotel Luxembourg is getting a lot of bad reviews here and also on france-hotel-guide.com (overbooking, very poor service). Peole seem to hate it or love it! <BR> Anyone had any recent experience there? We were planning on staying there this May on recommendation of friends who were there January 2000. Does anyone know if there is new management?? Our friends highly recommended it but speak fluent French. <BR> Grandes Ecoles is another possibility and gets very good reviews but is a lot less expensive than Hotel Luxembourg. I'm getting confused. It's our 25th. anniversary and 1st. trip to Paris so we want it to be special. <BR> Anyone out there with recent experiences at either of these hotels? <BR> Help!! Deb

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 02:06 PM
elaine

Hi <BR>Even the best hotel can screw up from time to time and leave a guest with a very bad memory. You're right though, <BR>the Luxembourg has been getting a bad press here, with a couple of exceptions. <BR>Also look for comments from past guests <BR>at www.paris.org and <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com <BR>No one can give you a guarantee,and you might want to go with your friends' recommendations, but with so many hotels to choose from, why not just pick one that has been consistently praised? <BR>The Jardins du Luxembourg has, for just one of many.Telephone 40 46 08 88, fax 40 46 02 28. It's a 3-star. <BR>The Grandes Ecoles has also been consistently praised, I believe it is a 2-star? Not sure.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:24 PM
austin

<BR>anyone who willingly goes to this hotel desrves everything they get <BR>I slammmed this joint a year ago in great detail and was joined by many other posters Try the search functions for the many who dissed this place and if you can still ask---why bother other than to see your name in lights

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 04:31 AM
Angela

Hello Deb: <BR> <BR>I've never stayed at either hotel but I live here in Paris and have clients who've stayed at both. The problem with the Hotel Luxembourg is that they sometimes overbook and cancel reservations without notification. It's a big risk to take. It's really a shame because the hotel is very nice and has a great location. I hope they'll fix the problem and get back on track soon. <BR> <BR>Les Grandes Ecoles is cheaper but I wouldn't let that bother me because it's so charming. Some people complain that it's a little too far from the action. It's only about a block from the Metro though, and right around the corner from the Pantheon. I love this hotel. It is housed in two buildings that look onto a rather large courtyard. To me it's like a little oasis there. Every time I've been there I see people sitting in the courtyard talking and having drinks or coffee. It's always a nice surprise after driving through the Parisian streets. And the women who work there are wonderful. <BR> <BR>I know this sounds like I work for this hotel or something but I don't. I write for a website on France and part of my job is to find these places that are particularly recommendable, that' all. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip! <BR>Angela

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 10:41 AM
Carol

We stayed at the Grandes Ecoles in Oct. for a week and highly recommend it.The staff is great - Marie is fantastic. She can answer all of your questions, make reservations, etc. with a mischevious smile on her face. IMO (and many others) it is a 2* with 3* amenities. We would stay there again in a hearrbeat. (And we just celebrated our 40th anniversary.)