Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Luxembourg Parc or Borgogne et Montana? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-luxembourg-parc-or-borgogne-et-montana-249112/)

Diane Aug 13th, 2002 08:26 AM

Hotel Luxembourg Parc or Borgogne et Montana?

We are doing last-minute planning for a trip to Paris in early October, and are having limited success getting a reservation at a hotel in the 6th or 7th arrondissement. Our options are: a suite at the Borgogne et Montana (7th arr.) @ 290 euros (no regular rooms available), a suite at the Hotel Latour Maubourg @ 245 euros, or a regular room at the Hotel Luxembourg Parc @ 200 euros. I know that the Luxembourg Parc is fairly new; has anyone seen or stayed at this hotel? Thanks in advance

liz Aug 13th, 2002 09:51 AM

Diane, I recommend the Borgogne et Montana. I've stayed there a couple of times. Can't beat the location and you really feel that you are in an apartment rather than a hotel. Breakfast is great!<BR>Enjoy!

parislover Aug 13th, 2002 09:56 AM

Diane:<BR>Had a look at the Luxembourg Parc. Looks nice, but wouldn't stay there, because Rue Vaugirard is pretty busy, also at night. As for location, would prefer the 6th to the 7th arr. Better for public transportation.<BR>If you should decide for the LP, don't miss the small French bistrot just opposite the hotel "Chez Diane" on Rue Servandoni.

sally Aug 13th, 2002 09:59 AM

Paris Lover, what is wrong with the Rue Vaugirard? is it noisy? I am thinking about the Luxembourg Parc as well. I notice that it doesn't come with breakfast. any good cafes within a block or two to grab a coffee at?

parislover Aug 13th, 2002 10:01 AM

Cafe de la Mairie, Place Saint-Sulpice.

sally Aug 13th, 2002 10:04 AM

thanks for the cafe recommendation. Is the traffic very noisy? <BR>the Luxembourg Parc looks quite nice. Has anyone stayed there?

parislover Aug 13th, 2002 10:16 AM

Sally, you could aks for a room facing Rue Servandoni which is very quiet. <BR>Rue Vaugirard is quite an important traffic line from Blvd. Starts on St. Michel in the 5th down to Blvd. Victor in the 15th arr. There is also a bus line that could bother you, if you're sensitive to traffic noise. Apparently, Rue Vaugirard is the longest street in Paris. Another option would be Hotel de l'Abbaye on Rue Cassette in the 6th.

sally Aug 13th, 2002 10:36 AM

Thanks Paris Lover. I actually have reservations at both the Abbaye and the Hotel Lux Parc. We thought the Lux Parc might be better because the rooms at the Abbaye looked very small and we need two beds in the room. have you (or anyone) stayed at the Lux Parc? if so, which would you prefer between the Abbaye (standard room) and Lux Parc (regular room). Both are about the same price. Reservation is for December

Diane Sep 1st, 2002 07:59 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, parislover. We've decided on the Luxembourg Parc and have requested a room facing the rue Servandoni. Sally, will let you know how we liked it -- going October 2 to 7 and will post a message when we return.

BTilke Sep 1st, 2002 09:03 AM

When I was a student in Paris, I lived in the foyer right next to the Lux. Parc on the rue de Vaugirard. It was pretty quiet at night. The only distracting noises were the morning garbage trucks and, in the afternoon, the sound of tennis balls smacking back and forth from the Luxembourg Gardens across the street.<BR>The Bourgogne and Montana is very quiet at night, I would call it "dead quiet". <BR>BTilke (Brussels)