Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotel Luna Convento or Santa Caterina in AC

Hotel Luna Convento or Santa Caterina in AC

Mar 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Luna Convento or Santa Caterina in AC

We have booked both hotels for 4 days in June. Santa Caterina is a lot more expensive than Luna Convento.
Is it worth the extra spending? Has anybody stayed at these hotels?
Mar 13th, 2007, 05:58 AM

It is simply the difference between five stars and four stars.

Both have a good location (those of Luna Convento may even be a little better), and both are charming.

We stayed for 5 nights and Luna Convento and loved it. What to expect:

- An excellent location with a short walk into town.
- Pool and private (rocky) beach.
- Valet parking (absolutely necessary).
- Charming rooms in historical style. Comfort level typical for 4 stars.
- Very beautiful public areas, especially the courtyard.
- Good food, typical Amalfi style. This means, rather simple preparation, but with fresh and high-quality ingredients. Fish and meat dishes usually cooked with Amalfi lemon sauce. Fabulous!
Mar 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you traveler1959. My concern is that Amalfi being always so crowded to stay at the right location. It seems that Luna convento could give us what we need. It is also Euro 400 cheaper per suite per night!
Mar 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Traveller:
I am also considering the Luna Convento. Can you give me an idea of how far it is from restaurants and shops in Amalfi?
Mar 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM

I personally would pick the Santa Caterina over the Luna, but having never stayed at the Luna I canít comment on the rooms. I did research both some years ago, and ended up choosing the Santa Caterina, to which I have returned several times. To me, the main drawback of the Luna is that the pool and beach are located across a rather busy road from the hotel. At the Santa Caterina, the entire hotel is spread along the cliffside in the midst of lemon groves, and you take a glass elevator down the cliff to the pool and sea. There is actually no beach, you just dive right into the Med, which is wonderful. You do not miss the beach, as there are plenty of deck chairs and the pool area gets sun all day. There is a restaurant directly above the pool which is shaded and cool for wonderful lunches. They have a tiny health club built into the cliffside where you can run with a view of the sea. The service is really out of this world, the views are endless from the room terraces at cliff height. It certainly is one of my top five hotels anywhere. I prefer it to the Sirenuese and the Palazzo Sasso.
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cicerone for the information because we actually also have reservations at Le Sirenuse. I am surprised that you prefer Santa Caterina over Le Sirenuse because everybody just raves about Positano over Amalfi!. We are two families(total of 7, 3 and 4) and Santa Caterina is allowing us to stay in two suites where Le Sirenuse wouldn't ley us do that and we are having to book a third room. Anyhthing else that you can add to your preference.
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM

OK here is my pretty personal and candid feeling about the two. Positano is indeed lovely with the little village spilling down the hillside. I would agree that Positano is physically much more beautiful than the town of Amalfi, you canít compare the two; however the Santa Caterina is not in the town of Amalfi, itís about 10 minutes outside the town on foot, hanging on a cliff side with fantastic see and mountain views. You can easily go to both Amalfi and Positano more than once on any trip, you can ferry or bus between the two quite quickly (crowds permitting on the buses sometimes). The hotel also has a shuttle that runs down to Almalfi at regular intervals.

I do think there are some drawbacks to staying at Le Sirenuese. The pool there is small and not well located, as it is right in the middle of things, people are having lunch next to you, people who arenít guests are coming through to gawk, the whole area is quite small, its hard to find a lounger sometimes, I just found it not a to be relaxing atmosphere. Secondly, the hotel is quite a long walk down to the beach, and an even longer walk up by stairs. The beach is pebbly, which is OK, but what I donít like is that you are essentially swimming in the marina for Positano, not really that nice. With a family, I think it would be great to be right next to the sea with your own private access right into an empty, clear area of the Med (itís not shallow however), and they have a great, totally private pool area easily reacible by the fun elevator, or stairs if you are in the mood for a workout.

I also find the rooms can be noisy at Le Sirenuse. If you are staying downstairs you may have the lobby or another room over your head. None of the rooms are carpeted, they are all tiled, this is true of most of the hotels and is lovely, but quite noisy, esp if you are under the lobby as two of the larger junior suites with wonderful large balconies happen to be. I also find the area surrounding the hotel noisy in the mornings and can be a little noisy at night. The hotel is across (not directly, but not far) from an elementary school, and the bells ring for the kids etc starting quite early. I like to sleep with windows open and donít like hearing everything going on in town, which has been my experience at Le Sirenuse. The Santa Caterina does have some rooms which back onto the main road, and I have heard these can be noisy, but if you avoid those, your room will be in the midst of the cliffs and gardens and will look out onto the endless sea views. All you will hear are birds and the surf hitting the rocks below.

I like getting away from the hectic crowds you can find all over the coast, and this hotel really lets you feel that you are doing that. I think the staff would be great with your kids. For what it is worth, the clientele of Le Sireneuse is generally about 90% American, but at the Santa Caterina, is less than 60% (which may account for the raves on this board for Le Sirenuse). My personal experience is that the staff are better at the Santa Caterina.

I do think the rooms at Le Sirenuse are a bit more luxurious, but that is about it. The restaurant they have is lovely as well, but you can always go there if you want. (Not sure you want to bring 3 kids there, its entirely candle lit.)

Mar 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM

We enjoyed the Luna Convento very much. We found it an easy walk to Amalfi which, especially at night, seemed mostly populated by local residents. The pool is indeed across the road from the hotel. It is gorgeous though (and cold!). The hotel is built into the side of the hill and very "vertical" in terms of room locations.
It was an absolutely STUNNING location--our room had a lovely balcony and from there and from the room itself we had the most beautiful view I've ever seen. We enjoyed the restaurant too. We'd happily stay there again.
Mar 14th, 2007, 04:13 AM

The Luna Convento is very close to Amalfi town. Easy walking. See the aerial view.
http://www.lunahotel.it/

And I repeat: Luna Convento is 4-star-level with 4-star-rates. There are other hotels with 5-star-level and 5-star-rates.
Mar 14th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Thanks so much!
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cicerone for writing such a detail and valid report.

Traveller 1959 thank you too. EksCrunchy and I would really benefit from this. I guess at this point the price difference would probably play a big factor since both hotels give you great locations, maybe Santa Caterina over Luna Convento.

Any more inside on the area will be greatly apprecciated. Thank you!
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you annw!

Search this Thread