Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy first timers itinerary- part 2 - thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some more of your thoughts.
Please see my previous post for the background:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34962598

- I am now working on the next level of detail of Plan A. Plan A was originally what we had in mind, but I got totally distracted when I read too much over the weekend on the countryside.
- We are using the drive between north and back to rome to 'wet our appetite'.

Which itinerary is preferred, Plan C or D and why. I can provide more exact time line if that is required. We are trying not to over do it. Majority of time will be spent in Rome and Venice and least in Florence and then fill the in-between with a pleasant tool across Italy.

Plan C. fly into Rome upon arrival train directly to Florence, stay in Florence, train to Venice, stay in Venice, pick up a car in Venice drive to Orvieto, drop car off, train to Rome, stay in Rome, home

versus

Plan D. fly into Rome upon arrival train directly to Venice, stay in Venice, train back to Florence, stay in Florence, pick up a car in Florence, drive to Orvieto, drop off car, train to Rome, home

I now plan on using www.mappy.com to get more familiar with drive times.

Thanks for your ideas.

mod
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM

If it was me (which it isn't) then I would start with Venice. I would end in Rome.

You don't say the length of stay, so:
ideally you should have at leat half a week in each city. The primary reason is that it typically takes a whole to pack, check-out, take the train, find the new hotel and unpack.

Okay now I read the post that you referred to - 10 days plus flying days. Three cities would be doable but might be too hectic. Schedule out a two city trip and a three city trip and compare.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 06:36 PM
MKE

I assume that you've considered an "open Jaw" flight -- arriving in Venice and departing from Rome and decided not to go that route. If so, I'd recommend the train from Rome to Venice, Venice to Florence/Ovieto, and back to Rome. Spend three days in Venice (side trip to Burano), three days in Florence, including day trip to Ovieto, and four days in Rome.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Big_Red. I agree on the hectic. And believe me, I've really tried to cut back. When I broached the subject to remove Venice, it didn't go well. And remember I'm just very fortunate to be going.

MKE, openjaw unfortunately was not possible, I explained that in my first post. The ticket has already been bought for me. Thanks for sharing your preference.

I'm working on refining the time line at the moment.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:45 AM
kja

To help choose, you might want to check which actual calendar days are involved against the opening hours for things you want to see, since some places are closed on some days.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

thanks kja. i was just about to start working those detail levels. it may turn out to be a timing thing on what time we arrive in Rome and if we can swing a train direct up to venice and get in our hotel the same day. since i'm having loads of trouble with the trenitalia web site reporting "error" after "error" i don't have a good feelings on trains and times between Rome TE and S. Lucia. I'll take a deep breath and try it again tonight.

mod