Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Lord Byron or Raphael in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-lord-byron-or-raphael-in-rome-108543/)

susan Feb 26th, 2001 08:18 AM

Hotel Lord Byron or Raphael in Rome?

I am planning a special trip to Rome in September. Although I don't usually stay in such expensive hotels, for this trip we are not on a tight budget. We narrowed down these two hotels because we like small, boutique hotels with character and great service (LOVE the Lungarno in Florence!) I can not decide between the Lord Byron in the Parioli neighborhood and The Raphael near Piazza Navona. The Lord Byron has a more stellar reputation but the location is not as central. The Raphael has the great location. Is the location of the Lord Byron that out of the way? Perhaps staying near Piazza Navona is enough reason to pick the Raphael...please give me your thoughts.

susan Mar 2nd, 2001 08:08 AM

Any suggestions? Would love some input.

susan Mar 2nd, 2001 08:08 AM

Any suggestions? Would love some input.

richard Mar 3rd, 2001 06:12 PM

I stayed at the Lord Byron---it was ok. No complaints, nor anything to write home about. It was certainly not in the center of Rome---near Villa Borghese----I booked it at the last minute, so I took what I could get. I'd suggest something more central, if possible.

Dona Mar 3rd, 2001 06:27 PM

Susan, <BR> <BR>Have stayed at the Raphael twice - and would certainly return. Love the location near the Piazza Navona and both rooms I've had have been comfortable and spacious. <BR> <BR>Friends have stayed at the Byron and thought it was rather shabby. <BR> <BR>Dona

allison Mar 3rd, 2001 07:09 PM

Susan, <BR>Just returned from 5 nights at the Raphael and would highly recommend it. The rooms are a bit small by US standards, but clean and well appointed. The staff was helpful and friendly. Try checking the Summit hotels web site. We found a great promotional offer, so the Raphael was considerably less expensive than the Lord Byron!

travelers Mar 4th, 2001 06:56 AM

My husband and I stayed at the Minerva Crown Plaza in Rome in December. The only 5 star in the Centro Storico and got a great deal for a 3-night package that made it cheaper than some of the 4 stars in the same area. Room was small, but very comfortable and had lovely views of old Roman rooftops. They also have a lounge area on the roof that was closed when we were there, but would be beautiful to sit with a drink and watch the sun set over the city. The Raphael seemed very nice, but was unavailable at the time and seemed a bit pricey. Would DEFINITELY suggest going with best area. We were within walking distance of practically everything, just behind the Pantheon, and LOVED our trip.

Patrick Mar 4th, 2001 07:21 AM

After trying three other hotels in Rome on previous trips, this past summer we "discovered" the Raphael. Actually we spotted it one afternoon the year before while strolling behind Piazza Navona. We loved the hotel and the staff. When two of our party were delayed on their arrival by a day due to an aborted Swiss Air flight, the staff kindly saved their room and didn't charge them at all for their "lost" night, even though I'm pretty sure there was a 24 hour cancellation policy. They then let them check in on arrival the next day before 10 in the morning. The only thing I would say is that we avoided the breakfast -- very pricey and nothing special. We'd much rather venture outside the hotel for coffee, juice, and pastries in one of the nearby squares anyway.

jane Mar 4th, 2001 08:35 AM

I would stay at the Rapheal- it is very charming and in such a great location. I had looked at it for our trip last summer but chose another hotel instead and regretted it after I saw the Rapheal in person.

susan Mar 5th, 2001 06:39 AM

Thank you for your suggestions...The Raphael it will be! By the way, Bella Dona, you recommended the Europa Regina in Venice last year when I couldn't decide between two hotels and it was great.